Basketball Phenom??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BE

Six-man fan
I know its old news to hear about a Richland Springs athlete who accomplishes some heroic feat, but this story might surprise you a little.

In the football mecca of Richland Springs a seventh grade boy used an orange, round ball to score 51 points in a single Junior High Basketball game against Brookesmith. Not sure of the exact final score...was something in the neighborhood of 65 to 55, which in itself is amazing for a middle school basketball game that only lasts 24 minutes.
It couldn't be that their opponent was insanely pitiful. Bad teams with bad players do not score over fifty points themselves.
No, that youngster is summin! Keep an eye on him, if you can. When the news hits the Panhandle, some established basketball program may be sweeping him off like a tumbleweed in a Texas Twister.

So can we now imagine it--RS has become a basketball school?
Is the Depression-era creaky,old gym an incubator for future gym-rats who will fundamentally change the Coyote culture?
:)

BE,

That 7th grader, along with his JH sister, HS brothers & dad will be LONG GONE from Richland Springs this year. So no RS will NOT become a basketball mecca.

Rumor has it out here in good ol' Levelland Texas is, the above mentioned family is looking at teaming up with you and your son at a school this 2020-21 school year.

after what Kramer just posted
I sure wish I was computer savy enough to put that Micheal Jackson eating popcorn "GIF" on here.
This thread might get pretty interesting

If you are thinking that he is a one man show on RS Jr. High, you would be wrong. He has at least two other on that team that has spent a lot of time in the gym to perfect their three point shooting. They have gotten pretty good.

Mullin has a young man on their team that is basically a one man show. He is almost as good as the young man from RS. He scored in the neighborhood of 40 points last Monday against May and kept them in the game till toward the end of the 3rd quarter. The final was like 69-47...in 24 minutes.

Of course we have good players everywhere. There were good players in six-man from 2004-2007. But there are only two or three any year in class -A (six-man) who are the cream of the crop. And of those few just one can make the plays that win championships rather than just games.

Great players are like daggers, they can stab opponents and are scary to face.
A Championship player is a Bowie, and a Bowie slices and dismembers all who dare to challenge. The first wounds will heal,lopped off parts do not .
This little dude is a Bowie.

Levelland, I'm not gonna lie, would enjoy coaching with that crew. Been talking to dad since 2012. So what.
Scheduled and played his RS basketball team twice last year, watched them three additional occasions. If we had him at Leakey this year we play in the state championship games at the AT&T and in San Antonio. Yes, the older two are studs, too.

In 2011 our Jr. High team played his 8th grader in football at Valley. Chandler was the closest thing I have ever seen to what Tyler did at that age. He was stunning to watch. Its a cryin shame a kid like that doesn't win a state football championship.
I know at least a dozen coaches and admin's who have made efforts to hire Rigdon.
But RS got him because they understand what maintaining a top program requires...vision and guts. And a few bucks. :)

BE":28qdndpl said:
Of course we have good players everywhere. There were good players in six-man from 2004-2007. But there are only two or three any year in class -A (six-man) who are the cream of the crop. And of those few just one can make the plays that win championships rather than just games.

Great players are like daggers, they can stab opponents and are scary to face.
A Championship player is a Bowie, and a Bowie slices and dismembers all who dare to challenge. The first wounds will heal,lopped off parts do not .
This little dude is a Bowie.

Levelland, I'm not gonna lie, would enjoy coaching with that crew. Been talking to dad since 2012. So what.
Scheduled and played his RS basketball team twice last year, watched them three additional occasions. If we had him at Leakey this year we play in the state championship games at the AT&T and in San Antonio. Yes, the older two are studs, too.

In 2011 our Jr. High team played his 8th grader in football at Valley. Chandler was the closest thing I have ever seen to what Tyler did at that age. He was stunning to watch. Its a cryin shame a kid like that doesn't win a state football championship.
I know at least a dozen coaches and admin's who have made efforts to hire Rigdon.
But RS got him because they understand what maintaining a top program requires...vision and guts. And a few bucks. :)
I don't know about guts, but RS certainly has the vision and a Few Dollar More. Other school districts are in education business not football.

Wow 51, and a JH kid from Mullin scoring 40’s. That’s pretty incredible at the JH level. I can’t think of many that accomplished that once when I was in JH-HS... lol

Sounds like some really good athletes are coming up. Future is exciting!

'longhorn75, It's okay to have the best interest of your kids in mind long before the next season begins. If an AD and even an admin' does not have the necessary scruples to search for the best applicant to add strength to their school's culture, then they should find another line of work. Selling real estate perhaps would be more suited to their passive persona.

It is a fallacy to believe that successful programs do not possess good academics. Having one does not equal an absence of the other.

Yes, cheating is unacceptable and detrimental to the scholastic experience, but searching for and going after the best coach or administrator is no different than seeking the best math and science teachers. School leadership does not have to sac' one to have the other. That is small-ball, and irresponsible. If I was a supt., or even a Board member, my goal would be to get the best possible talent for both. Yep, means more money will need to be offered, but we do live in a capitalistic system. Even teachers and coaches want the best pay they can earn for their families. Its not greed.
In 2003 a school offered a coach a 10 grand stipend to accept another position. He was getting 4,500 where he was. He liked the AD at the other school so was going to jump. When he let the principal know he was asked to inform the Board of the opportunity. Well, he didn't have to relocate to get the larger stipend. All the coaches got the bump.

Lost where I was going with this. Trying to teach my kids.
The point is made: the best ADs do everything within the UIL rules to hire the best talent to coach his teams. If he is not he should be demoted. If it is a problem with an administrator, he should take it to the Board. I have seen it many times go to that point.

But there will be barriers almost every step of the way. Some of the stiffest resistence to your vision will come from within your own school. There will be jealousy and fear of rocking the boat. A common response will be, "this is the way we have always done it." And they will support that statement with something like, "we won state in 1974 doing it this way". A one school I heard how a Field House was not necessary to have a successful football program because his team had made it all the way to the third round losing to Gordon back in the day. What! My response was then why don't you drive the same car and live in the same house as you did in 1980?
As Clawson would say,"DUMBARSS COACH!"

We had a chance of hiring a math teacher/coach from Santa Anna in 2005. He had a stud son who gave us fits for two years. We didn't hire him. Guess what...lost to Throckmorton in the Semis because we lost Shelby to a busted elbow. They scored three or four touchdowns with sweep left where Shelby played defensive End. That kid might have been better than Shelby who was a sophomore at the time. The other kid was a senior.
Anyway, we hired a great asst. coach who is still there today. Might have won four in a row had we done it differently.

Get the best! Do not settle. There is no substitute for success. And good kids and good teachers/coaches/admins increase success exponentially.

BE":1gk5cusy said:
'longhorn75, It's okay to have the best interest of your kids in mind long before the next season begins. If an AD and even an admin' does not have the necessary scruples to search for the best applicant to add strength to their school's culture, then they should find another line of work. Selling real estate perhaps would be more suited to their passive persona.

It is a fallacy to believe that successful programs do not possess good academics. Having one does not equal an absence of the other.

Yes, cheating is unacceptable and detrimental to the scholastic experience, but searching for and going after the best coach or administrator is no different than seeking the best math and science teachers. School leadership does not have to sac' one to have the other. That is small-ball, and irresponsible. If I was a supt., or even a Board member, my goal would be to get the best possible talent for both. Yep, means more money will need to be offered, but we do live in a capitalistic system. Even teachers and coaches want the best pay they can earn for their families. Its not greed.
In 2003 a school offered a coach a 10 grand stipend to accept another position. He was getting 4,500 where he was. He liked the AD at the other school so was going to jump. When he let the principal know he was asked to inform the Board of the opportunity. Well, he didn't have to relocate to get the larger stipend. All the coaches got the bump.

The point is made: the best ADs do everything within the UIL rules to hire the best talent to coach his teams. If he is not he should be demoted. If it is a problem with an administrator, he should take it to the Board. I have seen it many times go to that point.

But there will be barriers almost every step of the way. Some of the stiffest resistence to your vision will come from within your own school. There will be jealousy and fear of rocking the boat. A common response will be, "this is the way we have always done it." And they will support that statement with something like, "we won state in 1974 doing it this way". A one school I heard how a Field House was not necessary to have a successful football program because his team had made it all the way to the third round losing to Gordon back in the day. What! My response was then why don't you drive the same car and live in the same house as you did in 1980?

We had a chance of hiring a math teacher/coach from Santa Anna in 2005. He had a stud son who gave us fits for two years. We didn't hire him. Guess what...lost to Throckmorton in the Semis because we lost Shelby to a busted elbow. They scored three or four touchdowns with sweep left where Shelby played defensive End. That kid might have been better than Shelby who was a sophomore at the time. The other kid was a senior.
Anyway, we hired a great asst. coach who is still there today. Might have won four in a row had we done it differently.

Get the best! Do not settle. There is no substitute for success. And good kids and good teachers/coaches/admins increase success exponentially.

*As much as I am a RS fanatic, I just see the talent and athleticism (not to mention class) from these Rigdon boys. It really is amazing to watch. I cant believe the school/schoolboard has done with them and their family. It truly is saddening. I hope the Rigdons find a place that can atleast accept them as human beings and therefore amazing athletes... These boys could be playing 6A ball in FB or BBall... As an RS fan, I wish they could see past the B.S. and realize they are running off the best athletes that have come across RS. It really is saddening. Next year will tell a lot. I guess JB and the crew dont care enough... They're loss!

Blue Bird":1jhn9829 said:
If you are thinking that he is a one man show on RS Jr. High, you would be wrong. He has at least two other on that team that has spent a lot of time in the gym to perfect their three point shooting. They have gotten pretty good.

Mullin has a young man on their team that is basically a one man show. He is almost as good as the young man from RS. He scored in the neighborhood of 40 points last Monday against May and kept them in the game till toward the end of the 3rd quarter. The final was like 69-47...in 24 minutes.

* Yeah... but Chaca was at the gym (by himself) for atleast 4-5 hours a day, everyday after football season. Hes one of a kind and and amazing athlete. Could very well play 6A football or basketball. The Rigdons just breed athletes and now another school will benefit from it because of RS's stupidity. As an RS fan... I cant believe they would even try to run the Rigdons off. Just my 2 cents

GigemSooners":218wg7kn said:
BE":218wg7kn said:

*As much as I am a RS fanatic, I just see the talent and athleticism (not to mention class) from these Rigdon boys. It really is amazing to watch. I cant believe the school/schoolboard has done with them and their family. It truly is saddening. I hope the Rigdons find a place that can atleast accept them as human beings and therefore amazing athletes... These boys could be playing 6A ball in FB or BBall... As an RS fan, I wish they could see past the B.S. and realize they are running off the best athletes that have come across RS. It really is saddening. Next year will tell a lot. I guess JB and the crew dont care enough... They're loss!

Careful they will run you out of town for that kind of thinking. Those boys are way way more than athletes they are phenomenal young men. They are thick skinned they work hard they are respectful any school would be blessed to have them. I can think of a few in the area that would love them.

tx6man4life":6r0dblv9 said:
GigemSooners":6r0dblv9 said:
BE":6r0dblv9 said:

Careful they will run you out of town for that kind of thinking. Those boys are way way more than athletes they are phenomenal young men. They are thick skinned they work hard they are respectful any school would be blessed to have them. I can think of a few in the area that would love them.

Oh I'm aware. I really dont care though. The RS folks know me and I have a good relationship with most of them (I assume). Do I believe we win a championship this year without Mathew and Griff??? No I don't. Do I think Mathew, Griff, and Chaca are the best athletes to come out of RS... yes I do. (Just add TE). I personally think it was a who has a bigger (ego). Obviously it was the school board and JB. I havent heard a peep from Coach Rigdon on the board or anything else. Proves he has class in my opinion. This may not fair well with the other RS fans but I can see through the B.S. The Rigdons got hosed for no reason and were harassed for no reason. As a fan of a school I've supported for years, I am truly embarrassed and I hope karma doesnt hit us like it should.

Class act? You got to be kidding me...there has been enough stories on here alone to disprove that statement. If you need more, a little google search will clear that right up.

truthhurts17":20ne12fo said:
Class act? You got to be kidding me...there has been enough stories on here alone to disprove that statement. If you need more, a little google search will clear that right up.

Is that seriously all you have? Google him? Lol you sound a little butthurt, maybe jealous because the Rigdons happen to be the best athletes in sixman. I have looked him up on the internet and I've also talked to Coach Rigdon and he is a class act, just comparing him to the school board and the current head coach we have. Do you really want me to tell everyone on the board what we all know about our coaches and board members?
*This thread was about a 7th grade boy accomplishing something amazing and you have to turn it into hating on the Rigdons. You sure are a class act...

coachware":2hu5214c said:
after what Kramer just posted
I sure wish I was computer savy enough to put that Micheal Jackson eating popcorn "GIF" on here.
This thread might get pretty interesting
Sir, where do we send your prize?

BlueBird, He is a one man show.
I didnt say the others couldnt put the round ball in the hoop. But make no mistake, Little Rigdon is "the show".
Listen, 99% of ball players are Bluebirds-- yellow buses-- Rigdon is a Van Hool!!

I bet this JH kid will never be as good as Coey Smith....or has BE forgotten about the best basketball player he has ever coached and the best basketball player in Richland Springs history?

TebowTime15":2d4uavzf said:
I bet this JH kid will never be as good as Coey Smith....or has BE forgotten about the best basketball player he has ever coached and the best basketball player in Richland Springs history?
This is hilarious, I guess you dont go to the basketball games. Just fyi, Mathew had 46 tonight against Blanket and Griff had 35. Tell me about the best basketball players who came out of Richland are? Coey Smith was no doubt a stud but you cant compare him to these boys
* Also way to take a jab at a a 7th grade who could easily be starting for most varsity schools. Give credit where it's due.

GigemSooners":hln3k2tm said:
TebowTime15":hln3k2tm said:
This is hilarious, I guess you dont go to the basketball games. Just fyi, Mathew had 46 tonight against Blanket and Griff had 35. Tell me about the best basketball players who came out of Richland are? Coey Smith was no doubt a stud but you cant compare him to these boys
* Also way to take a jab at a a 7th grade who could easily be starting for most varsity schools. Give credit where it's due.

While I mean no disrespect to anyone else, you don't have to "know basketball" to understand that most sixman schools don't have a 6'3 200 pound guy that can windmill dunk.

TebowTime15":36bs1gxx said:
GigemSooners":36bs1gxx said:
TebowTime15":36bs1gxx said:

While I mean no disrespect to anyone else, you don't have to "know basketball" to understand that most sixman schools don't have a 6'3 200 pound guy that can windmill dunk.

I really appreciate your response, thank you for being respectful regardless of the situation with the Rigdons. I was just clearly stating you cant compare these boys because they play(ed) different positions and are putting up amazing numbers. I agree that a 6'3 200lb kid that can slam it is an incredible feat and shows pure athleticism. But... how many times a game did this happen? Nothing against the kid. What I would really like to know is Richlands record book and see who is the leader in each category(if it's even available). This may rub you the wrong way but I also believe that dunking (even if it's a windmill/flashy dunk) does not dictate what kind of basketball player that specific person plays. Post is different than point.
* You think you may be able to find the record books for RS basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back