Baseball Hall of Fame (any baseball nerds out there)

Knowmystuff

11-man fan
With so many Steroid Era guys up for the Hall of Fame now.....

You have the power to put 1 person in the Hall of Fame with out question...of the players currently not in the Hall of Fame (and not playing), who do you put in?

My humble and worthless vote would go to the great Shoeless Joe Jackson. Best baseball player ever. Look at his numbers during the 1919 World Series(Black Sox Sacandal).

12 hits (more than anyone in the series and a series record)
5 runs scored
6 RBI
Fielding %= 100 all 30+ balls that came to him in the field were fielded NO ERRORS

Lifetime BA .356
rookie year record for Ba .408

"I copied Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest hitter I had ever seen, the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."
-- Babe Ruth

Sorry guys but I will respectfully disagree about Pete Rose. he was a fantastic player but you cannot stick a player / coach who bets on games , his own games, as he has admitted and stick him in the HOF. it is not right and it will never be right. More importantly, Pete Rose acknowledges what he did but still does not see the magnitude of the wrong. He always hedges his explanation. And just as a side note, the way he treats the fans of baseball at his signing events continues his slime ball personality.

My opinion but just saying.

Agree 100% Oldfatbald...lifetime bans should end once the person dies...I think 3 "Black Sox" should be Hall of Famers and at least 1, maybe 2, could have become Hall of Famers:

Eddie Cicotte, Buck Weaver, Joe Jackson - Hall of Famers

Hap Felsch might have been one if he was given a whole career, and maybe Lefty Williams.

Think about this...Lefty Williams in 1919 was 23-11 with a 2.64 ERA and his salary was $2,600! and was 22-14 in 1920 before being kicked off the team in late September.

A Lefty Williams autograph today is worth more than he was paid in 1919! One sold at auction in 2009 for $8,500!

http://dec09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bi ... emid=16266

O and the whole team knew that some of the players were trying to fix the 1919 World Series/had guilty knowledge and didn't reportet it to MLB authorities and yet 4 of them (Eddie Collins, Ray Schalk, Red Faber, and owner Charles Comiskey) are in the Hall of Fame!

Just think on that for a while...

oneday":6renqq87 said:
Agree 100% Oldfatbald...lifetime bans should end once the person dies...I think 3 "Black Sox" should be Hall of Famers and at least 1, maybe 2, could have become Hall of Famers:

Eddie Cicotte, Buck Weaver, Joe Jackson - Hall of Famers

Hap Felsch might have been one if he was given a whole career, and maybe Lefty Williams.

Think about this...Lefty Williams in 1919 was 23-11 with a 2.64 ERA and his salary was $2,600! and was 22-14 in 1920 before being kicked off the team in late September.

A Lefty Williams autograph today is worth more than he was paid in 1919! One sold at auction in 2009 for $8,500!

http://dec09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bi ... emid=16266

O and the whole team knew that some of the players were trying to fix the 1919 World Series/had guilty knowledge and didn't reportet it to MLB authorities and yet 4 of them (Eddie Collins, Ray Schalk, Red Faber, and owner Charles Comiskey) are in the Hall of Fame!

Just think on that for a while...

Comiskey deserved to be booted out for the way he treated his players. If he had not been such a chichy tightwad none of those guys would have ever taken the gambler's money.

Dumb question. Does any one else think they should shorten the regular season since they added the wild card playoff round? And does anyone else think that giving WS home field advantage to the league that wins the all star game is dumb?

The league winning the all star game getting home field advantage in the WS just isn't right. And IMO, yes even dumb.
Having two wild card teams and having a one game playoff in each league is also dumb. Anything for the money.
The first thing you know the UIL will start behaving like this. Oh, wait....
The first player I thought of was Shoeless Joe for the HOF question.
Rose is a sleeze ball, but a great baseball playing sleeze ball. He was born to play baseball. I agree, let him in after he's gone.
As for Clements, you don't really believe he used HGH do you? Say it ain't so Roger. (Oh, wait he did) (and he probably did)
Man he was a great pitcher.

I really don't want to see Barry Bonds in the hof. If you let one from the steroid era in you would have to let all of them in. That is going to leave Pudge out, but so be it. If you use the standard "once they die let them in" on shoeless Joe and Pete Rose it could and should apply to Roger Clemons and his era too.

oldfat&bald":lwuml41m said:
Dumb question. Does any one else think they should shorten the regular season since they added the wild card playoff round? And does anyone else think that giving WS home field advantage to the league that wins the all star game is dumb?

Yes. Go back to the 156 game season, like before 1962.

burnerman":342jf3yq said:
Sorry guys but I will respectfully disagree about Pete Rose. he was a fantastic player but you cannot stick a player / coach who bets on games , his own games, as he has admitted and stick him in the HOF. it is not right and it will never be right. More importantly, Pete Rose acknowledges what he did but still does not see the magnitude of the wrong. He always hedges his explanation. And just as a side note, the way he treats the fans of baseball at his signing events continues his slime ball personality.

I respect your opinion, but the hall of fame is for a players work on the field. Anything done off the field should have no bearing on their place in history. Many of our hall of famers, in every sport, made terrible choices off the field. Pete Rose was one of the best baseball players to step foot on the diamond. Yes, what he did was stupid! But it never stopped him from performing on the field. One player/manager (non-pitcher) can not affect the spread in a baseball game enough to make a significant difference (excluding Bill Buckner). I'm not condoning what he did. I'm just saying there are tons of pro athletes that I wouldn't want my daughter dating; but was the best at their sport during their tenure. He served enough time out of the hall and deserves to take his place alongside his teamates and fellow competitors.

oldfat&bald":3c5oq3qx said:

Don't want to see a shorter season, because of the addition of one playoff game. I like the home/away status riding on the All-Star game. It forces managers/players to play with a bit more effort when there is something riding on it.

coachsatcher":3h0la7s0 said:
burnerman":3h0la7s0 said:

I respect your opinion, but the hall of fame is for a players work on the field. Anything done off the field should have no bearing on their place in history. Many of our hall of famers, in every sport, made terrible choices off the field. Pete Rose was one of the best baseball players to step foot on the diamond. Yes, what he did was stupid! But it never stopped him from performing on the field. One player/manager (non-pitcher) can not affect the spread in a baseball game enough to make a significant difference (excluding Bill Buckner). I'm not condoning what he did. I'm just saying there are tons of pro athletes that I wouldn't want my daughter dating; but was the best at their sport during their tenure. He served enough time out of the hall and deserves to take his place alongside his teamates and fellow competitors.

I find myself agreeing with that. Rose is a complete jackass, but again, so are a LOT of pro athletes in all sports. Given his publicized antics, I wonder just how much shady stuff Babe Ruth did back during his playing days?

Prior to late season 1920, a lot of players gambled and bet on games, usually betting on their own team to win, Ty Cobb, who you could argue was the best player ever, was involved in a betting scandal with another Hall of Famer Tris Speaker from years prior and there was more evidence against them in the form of letters than there ever was against any of the 8 White Sox players (remember signed conffesions of the 3 White Sox players who signed them disapeared before trial so all the State had was testimony of a few gamblers). Yet the Commissioner didn't ban either Speaker or Cobb, but their own teams thought badly enough of their deeds to fire them (Detriot and Cleveland) and they were both picked up by the Phil. A's...

This is what I have to say about Pete Rose. He bet on baseball games as a manager, that is a fact. I don't think it was proven that he bet on a game he managed for his team (the Reds) to loose. But here is the thing...if a guy witha a gambling problem is betting his games some of the time then he doesn't bet on his team in some games...isn't that a sign that he didn't think his team would win. And in EVERY SINGLE LOCKER ROOM in the MLB while Rose was playing and for sure managing there is a big sign hanging up that PROHIBITED GAMBLING ON BASEBALL and giving the punishment, life time banishment. Rose knew what he was doing was wrong and the ppunishment that went with it, and he did it anyway...Rose should be banned for Life.

But once he dies I say the lifetime ban is over and he should be taken off the ineligible list so he can be voted on officially.

No some great baseball talks!

Acts of Commissioner Saunders:

1. Contract 6 teams. Miami, Toronto, Colorado, San Diego, Washington, Tampa Bay
2. Balance the 2 leagues (which has been done finially for the 2013 season by moving the Astros to the AL):
- 2 Leagues AL and NL; 12 teams in each League, 2 Divisions within each league East and West.
3. Get rid of the DH.
4. Get rid of Inter-League play, this would give more flavor to the All-Star game...like it use to have before Inter-League play
5. Change the season to 144 games
6. Playoffs
- Round 1: Top 2 teams from each division play each other in a best of 5 series: #1 team from D1 would play #2 team from D2, #1 team from D2 plays #2 team from D1.
- Round 2: The 2 Division winners play each other for the League Championship in a best of 5 series
- World Series: The 2 League winners play in a best of 7 series.

7. Have more games played on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

By contracting and getting rid of the DH...that would be reducing the number of players in the MLB, cutting 162 players. That means the 162 worst players wouldn't be playing the MLB but the minor leagues. Making the product on the field better!

I am following the adage "less is more"

The seaons would be shorter making it less likely for overlap with other pro sports meaning you are not competing as much for fans and TV spots and ratings.

I agree on getting rid of those teams, the DH, and shorter season. No to the top 2 teams in each division in playoffs. Division champs only. And if you are going to have divisions, say East and West, put teams in each division that are truly east and west. No idiocy like having Atlanta in a Western division.

If I had my druthers, there would be NO divisions, League champ is last team on top at the end of the season. Playoffs ONLY when there is a tie.

We are planning a little trip next month and are going to take in a few Spring Training games. One of our options
is the Rangers - Angels. Got me wondering about Josh Hamilton. With all of his off-field troubles ( hopefully in the past )
Do you think he is Hall of Fame material based on his career so far?

Back