Amazing Tippie Performance

The Hicks boys were in Brookesmith before moving.

And the kid who was ineligible, was a JV kid who got a little Varsity PT just for the sake of playing I believe. But back then it was a little closer competition in the area.

I guess there should be law that prohibits people from leaving or moving anywhere for any reason..........wait a minute, I think they tried that in Soviet Russia.............

That was one outstanding performance from Walker in the State game, as well as all of the Coyote players. Walker is also a very nice young man, as well as his younger brother. Both are strong, athletic individuals.

This will sound like a promotion of recruiting, and in a sense it is perhaps. I will express it this way:
2001-2003
Jordan and Jared Hicks are big reasons RS goes State Game,Quarters and Semis.
2003-2005
Tyler and Jesstin Fox and Shelby Smith help us go Semis, State Champs and Semis.
2006-2008
Jesstin Fox, Shelby and Abraham Ahumada help us go State Champs twice and almost beat eventual state winner Strawn in early round of 2008 playoffs.
2010-2011
Denim Reeves leads them to two state championships.
2015-2016
Tippie leads them to two championships

From a different perspective, up in Follett the Panthers enjoyed some excellent success from 2007 thru 2014 with move-ins from nearby Darrouzett and Booker. Both Hernandez boys and Cole Freeman attended their lower grades in Darrouzett. The Bechthold boys were from Booker until 2009. My 2012 state qualifier team had three players who moved in from Booker, Colorado and East Texas who played huge roles getting us to Abilene. We would not have made it there without any combo of the three, let alone all of them.

In all these examples the only problem is that these guys were not recruited in any stretch of the imagination. The Foxes, Shelby and Abraham were foster kids from Austin. Their whereabouts was not by choice. Denim moved in when he was in elementary school. I don't know the exact story of the Hicks, but I asked them several times why they relocated and every occasion they said they just wanted out of Brookesmith.
The Follett kids had to transfer out of Darrouzett because they had no high school. The Bechtholds left Booker for personal reasons associated with the school, not athletics. Patrick came from East Texas with his mom and dad whose grandfather led a church in a nearby community. Erroll Ormesher's mother came to Follett six months before Erroll because he did not want to leave Colorado.

Was I glad these guys came to Follett? Of course. They were all kids who were fun to coach and a true blessing to be around. The ones who came with the most adversity to get there had the greatest stores of desire and toughness. There was always something extra about them that the other kids didn't seem to have. A maturity beyond their years. They were deeper in their personalities and character in several ways, also. Other than one exception, as a teacher and coach you could make it very hot on them and they would just keep plugging until the end. No crying, no manipulating a parent to fight their battles. It was them man-to-man in every scenario that counted.

Now that I think about it all, I think I will send mine to Africa next summer to run with the indigenous people to toughen them up...or maybe Austin, Tx.

BE":186mkdp5 said:
This will sound like a promotion of recruiting, and in a sense it is perhaps. I will express it this way:
2001-2003
Jordan and Jared Hicks are big reasons RS goes State Game,Quarters and Semis.
2003-2005
Tyler and Jesstin Fox and Shelby Smith help us go Semis, State Champs and Semis.
2006-2008
Jesstin Fox, Shelby and Abraham Ahumada help us go State Champs twice and almost beat eventual state winner Strawn in early round of 2008 playoffs.
2010-2011
Denim Reeves leads them to two state championships.
2015-2016
Tippie leads them to two championships

From a different perspective, up in Follett the Panthers enjoyed some excellent success from 2007 thru 2014 with move-ins from nearby Darrouzett and Booker. Both Hernandez boys and Cole Freeman attended their lower grades in Darrouzett. The Bechthold boys were from Booker until 2009. My 2012 state qualifier team had three players who moved in from Booker, Colorado and East Texas who played huge roles getting us to Abilene. We would not have made it there without any combo of the three, let alone all of them.

In all these examples the only problem is that most of them were not recruited. The Foxes, Shelby and Abraham were foster kids from Austin. Denim moved in when he was in elementary school. I don't know the exact story of the Hicks, but I asked them several times why they relocated and every occasion they said they just wanted out of Brookesmith.
The Follett kids had to transfer out of Darrouzett because they had no high school. The Bechtholds left Booker for personal reasons associated with the school, not athletics. Patrick came from East Texas with his mom and dad whose grandfather led a church in a nearby community. Erroll Ormesher's mother came to Follett six months before Erroll because he did not want to leave Colorado.

Was I glad these guys came to Follett? Of course. They were all kids who were fun to coach and a true blessing to be around. The ones who came with the most adversity to get there had the greatest stores of desire and toughness. There was always something extra about them that the other kids didn't seem to have. A maturity beyond there years. They were deeper in their personalities and character in several ways, also. Other than one exception, as a teacher and coach you could make it very hot on them and they would just keep plugging until the end. No crying, no manipulating a parent to fight their battles. It was them man-to-man in every scenario that counted.

Now that I think about it all, I think I will send mine to Africa next summer to run with the indigenous people to toughen them up...or maybe Austin, Tx.

I remember when the Hicks brothers thing happened...it's important to note this was under the Clawson era..who was also a coach at Panther Creek when they would have transfers from area schools...and also a coach at Brookesmith...what's the odds of that...(eyes rolling in my head)

No one really talks about this but parents are who are the decision makers...not kids and not coaches...so let's please keep that perspective when diving into this type of conversation.

When I was in school I played summer baseball in Bronte and Robert Lee (one year Sterling City which should tell you how much I love baseball traveling from Blackwell)...needless to say I had a LOT of good friends in Bronte and wanted to transfer there in 8th grade but my father straight up said no way never going to happen bc we lived in Blackwell's district and if he was paying Blackwell school tax we were going to go to school in Blackwell!

Also it seems this thread has been hijacked....

Leman, dang it, you quote me before I can return and edit my comments. When I ditty I am usually multi-tasking. While jotting down this text my daughter was reciting Psalm 23, another child practicing the DOI preamble and a third wanted a critique of her Instagram performance.
Give me half a day will ya. :)

Back