4-2 defense

coachtree

11-man fan
for the coaches that run it or have run it in the past what was your scheme behind it, what did you do with it? what did you like and or dislike about it
i have my idea of how i want to run it and a theory of why but wanting to see what everyone else thinks about it

I know in the 2009 season against us Coach Reed at Throckmorton ran the hell out of it against us. He'd be the man to talk to in my opinion

Coach Reed at T-Rock would be a good source like was mentioned. I ran it with my jr. high and jv last year, actually first time we ran it was against Throck, lol. I think it's a good defense against run heavy teams. You will have trouble covering the pass with just 2 backs, but if your pass rush is quick anough and can get to the qb or spread back you should be fine.

ANCIENT HISTORY: I played 6-Man Football in the mid 1950's.

From an old notebook - here is how WE played the 4-2 (vs. Single Wing):

----------------O
------------O-----O
--------------O--C--O
-----------E-S--C----E

--------------H-----H

4-2:
The extra man in the line (Safety) is used to give strength to the strong side. If a pass develops, two men from the line should back out of the line, and the two remaining men should rush the passer.
The Strong-side End & the Center (Nose) should rush, but the Weak-side End and the Safety should play a waiting game. The two Backs should play a little deeper than the Halfbacks do in the 3-2-1 defense, and they should be behind the Ends rather than outside of them. If a pass play develops, each Halfback should cover his zone and not let the end on his side get behind him. The extra man in the line (Safety) should drop back and play a zone behind the center, and the Weakside End should drop back into the flat zone.

This was all I could find ion that old defensive book. We only used it that one time, evidently.

Back