22 year old Head Coach-Are you kidding me?

Dogface":3phkpp93 said:
Coach4Christ":3phkpp93 said:
WOW! If ya'll are talking about me and my coaching career, ya'll must be bored! But since ya'll are so interested, I figured I'd join in on the conversation...

Thanks for the motivation EastTexas...keep throwing fuel on my fire. All I'm going to do is prove you wrong.

Dogface, I got my first full-time coaching job as Running Backs Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Lon Morris College when I was 19. You need neither a Bachelor's Degree or a Master's Degree to coach at a private institution so from ages 19-22 I coached in college. Four Years.

Keep Lookin' Up!

Adam Kirby
We prolly are bored.
I still don't get the college years/coaching gig.
Were you a coach while you attended?
Were you finished with college by 18?
That would be seriously impressive!!
I went on the 7 yr. plan.

The good thing is that you don't have to understand it and I don't have to explain it to you Dogface. Spend more time worrying about yourself and finding yourself a job rather than being concerned about how I am going to win football games at Lazbuddie.

Coach4Christ":h4xh6eid said:
Dogface":h4xh6eid said:
Coach4Christ":h4xh6eid said:
WOW! If ya'll are talking about me and my coaching career, ya'll must be bored! But since ya'll are so interested, I figured I'd join in on the conversation...

Thanks for the motivation EastTexas...keep throwing fuel on my fire. All I'm going to do is prove you wrong.

Dogface, I got my first full-time coaching job as Running Backs Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at Lon Morris College when I was 19. You need neither a Bachelor's Degree or a Master's Degree to coach at a private institution so from ages 19-22 I coached in college. Four Years.

Keep Lookin' Up!

Adam Kirby
We prolly are bored.

The good thing is that you don't have to understand it and I don't have to explain it to you Dogface. Spend more time worrying about yourself and finding yourself a job rather than being concerned about how I am going to win football games at Lazbuddie.
Good Point. I don't.
I am extremely worried about finding a job.
There's a good chance I'll have to do something else.
With 200+applicants for even the crummy jobs?
I'm not at all concerned about winning games at Laz.
My goals for my students go so far past that.
It may not seem like it but I do wish you the best.
I wish everybody the best!

Coach4Christ,

Don't let doubters get the satisfaction of reiterating your age, by responding to their negativism. If you don't agree, just take care of business and show them why Laz hired you. If you let it get under your skin at all and respond to the age thing, you are just making their point for them. Don't worry about it and just win,...on the field, in the classroom, and make the kids better for life. That will get you all the praise in the world, and a God given satisfaction.

Good Luck

I'm sure that the doubt will serve as motivation!

Congrats on the job!

I'm a lot older than 22 now but when I was 22 I had 3 kids (half of what I had now) and had accomplished more than what the "norm" is supposed to be. The thing is, I don't follow norms or let those thing limit me. I am only limited by what God says that I can do.

Coach4Christ":1uqig1wo said:
Dogface":1uqig1wo said:
Coach4Christ":1uqig1wo said:

Keep Lookin' Up!

Adam Kirby
We prolly are bored.

I don't think he was talking down to you. Looks like he was just curious, I know I am. I don't think age has much to do with it, I think that you could get a head coach job at 22 is a reflection of your knowledge of the game and your advanced maturity, which you must have shown, to get the job. Good luck Coach Kirby!

So true.
Actually,
I just stink at Math
and couldn't make it add up.
Whatever.
Good luck to everybody!
From what I've heard
Kirby must be hot!

Coach4Christ":3m88ciea said:

Keep Lookin' Up!

Adam Kirby
Congratulations on making your first mistake as a head coach,... defending yourself on a message board.
Congratulations on making your second mistake as a head coach... defending yourself on a message board by laying out and justifying your credentials.

Nobody cares if you played college football. Nobody cares if you coached college football. The only thing people care about is are you going to be a positive influence on the lives of the students you come in contact with on a daily basis.

If you insist on defending yourself on message boards your going to make it look like it is more about you and not enough about the students that you are responsible for and at that point you cease to be a positive influence.

Coach Everett":3v2ztbqq said:
Coach Kirby has been coaching for almost 4 years now at the Collegiate level already. He worked at Tyler Jr. College, 2 stints with Lon Morris and 1 season with Texas College. So its not like he is fresh out of diapers.
Wait a minute! So what your saying is that he (Coach Kirby) has not been at the same school in consecutive years during his four year stint as a college assistant coach.

Four years experience; a different school each year.

Hmmm...I wonder what the odds are he will not be a one and done?

And while I'm wondering...I wonder how much four years of assistant football coaching duties at the juco and/or lower division college levels has prepared him for what lies ahead.

No public school experience. No sixman experience. Good Luck to everyone involved in this experience.

Hey - you have to get the "real" experience somewhere, sometime. The world is full of people who get jobs for which they are not fully prepared. So? If you're alert and resilient you learn on the job; even if you don't make a stunning success of the venture you come away with more experience and knowledge than when you went in, and that can only be a good thing. Someone mentioned the tough job market right now, hundreds of applicants for a position. I don't know how many applicants there were for this position but obviously the people hiring saw something they liked about this applicant. Let him have a shot at it without the boobirds on the side raising a raucous noise.

Sissylue":mxa43kne said:
Hey - you have to get the "real" experience somewhere, sometime. The world is full of people who get jobs for which they are not fully prepared. So? If you're alert and resilient you learn on the job; even if you don't make a stunning success of the venture you come away with more experience and knowledge than when you went in, and that can only be a good thing. Someone mentioned the tough job market right now, hundreds of applicants for a position. I don't know how many applicants there were for this position but obviously the people hiring saw something they liked about this applicant. Let him have a shot at it without the boobirds on the side raising a raucous noise.
Well Said.

My two cents; I would not worry about Adam Kirby's age. He appears to be a good person and possesses a relationship with God, judging from everything he has posted on this message board and his choice of usernames, and that can overcome a lot of things. There are plenty of historical and biblical examples to back up my claim about age not being a huge factor, off the top of my head here are a few:

1. The Pharisees and Sadducees lived much longer than Jesus, and that did not work out very well for them.

2. Louis XIV became king of France when he was only 5 years old and ruled from 1643 to 1715; the longest reign of any European Monarch. While he may not be the best guy, but he used every resource possible to further France. In the process, he gave them the ability to fight the rest of Europe single handily...and in my opinion that is an accomplishment.

3. Most of Jobe's "accusers" were much older than him, yet he remained right.

4. Alexander the Great became leader of the Greeks after 20 years of living, and by the time he was 30 created one of the largest empires in world history.

Oh and did I mention Gordon Wood got his first coaching job at age 26? If Adam turns out to be half as good as Coach Wood then he will be fine! ;)

With that said, I hope Adam possesses six man experience. I think that is key for a young coach, because not many of the coaches ever played the game. It is possible to learn six man over time, but knowing the game from day 1 allows you to focus on the areas you might not be as good at as older coaches. However, he might be better than you think at the leadership part of coaching, since he coached for 3 years at a private university.

Any who, good luck Adam and break ageist stereotypes for all us young coaches! And if you need an assistant let me know ;)

Funny how the whole thread has been dedicated to someone who is 22 while a lot of you are acting half that age and you are probably nearly double that age.

lifegatesports":cl5svwn1 said:
One of the under-reported stories in the TAPPS/Beren issue this basketball season was that the coach of the team that defeated Beren, Abliene Christian, was coached by a young man who I believe is about to graduate from one of the colleges in the Abilene area with a teaching degree.

Don't know about you, but I think that young man has a pretty solid background when he goes in for interviews for coaching positions. Here you have all the hoopla about the Beren situation, a big media circus (I understand there were six satellite trucks parked at Nolan Catholic for Beren's games -- I don't believe I've seen that many media trucks at some events at the Alamodome) and yet, he keeps his kids focused on the prize and wins it.

Coach Michael Bacon (middle) was 21 at the State championship game. His two assistants are also students at Abilene Christian University. These three men did a fantastic job.

419981_10150692635336209_759199657_n.jpg

ACHS-Panthers-STATE-L.jpg

Dogface - this was my first time seeing this thread. As I read through it I recognized right away you are in a no win situation here. The attitude and remarks returned to you say volumes.

I do not know Coach Kirby. I do know in Coach Kirby resigning from the Lazbuddie position afforded LHS a great and opportune acquisition. Lazbuddie was very fortunate with less than two weeks before coaching school to hire a State Championship Coach with 35+ years experience, a head coaching record of 74-12, a proven leader, a proven teacher, a proven example for young men to follow and who will be concerned with teaching and developing young men to be successful as students and athletes. ( that does not always mean or equate to only winning games )

Good luck to the Longhorns ....

Good Luck to Coach Kirby - he may need it. Just a quick look at his present HIgh Schools record seems they haven't won but 3-4 games against public school opponents in the last 5 years or so....

I am LMAO right now,
I light of what happened since.
Obviously, I must suck at interviews.
I don't promise wins, championships, a big w/l record,
passing STAAR tests,
or buying student supplies.
I can only promise to do MY personal best,
and to love students like I love my own kids.
It took me 3yrs to get a job I actually wanted.
I can't help but wonder
what others are saying during their interviews,
in order to get a new HC job each yr
or multiple HC jobs ea. yr.
jus sayin'.

Dogface":20rgxgs6 said:
I am LMAO right now,
Obviously, I must inhale at interviews.
passing STAAR tests,
I can't help but wonder
jus sayin'.

Just my $.02, but a lot of landing a job isn't determined on how you interview. You also have to think of your references, and how they feel about the job you did when you worked with them. I think your past is what gets you a job....how you treated people, how hard you worked, and success you had on the field and in the classroom. You have to have the references that reflect that (former and current ADs, former and current principals, etc.). You can also bet money that employers will contact your current employer whether they are on your reference list or not (I certainly do)......so, IMO, don't burn bridges.

coachjdjones":3p90t371 said:
Dogface":3p90t371 said:
I am LMAO right now,
Obviously, I must inhale at interviews.
passing STAAR tests,
I can't help but wonder
jus sayin'.

Just my $.02, but a lot of landing a job isn't determined on how you interview. You also have to think of your references, and how they feel about the job you did when you worked with them. I think your past is what gets you a job....how you treated people, how hard you worked, and success you had on the field and in the classroom. You have to have the references that reflect that (former and current ADs, former and current principals, etc.). You can also bet money that employers will contact your current employer whether they are on your reference list or not (I certainly do)......so, IMO, don't burn bridges.
I wish they would check my refs!!!!
I call my refs each yr. and ask them if anyone called!
Last 2 yrs.... Not once. Zip. Nada.
This yr only one did. And I got the job.
I think the majority or schools don't have the business sense/management training
to really know how to conduct interviews.
If they don't use some kind of questionaire matrix,
then obviously they're clueless,
and their whole hiring paradigm is subjective.
Hence the revolving door.

Back