2014 Top 5

pup

11-man fan
Is sixman season really over? I hate this time of year. No more sixman to watch, not really a basketball fan, my favorite college football teams have turned in their gear, it's cold and dark. I'm hoping this will motivate some lively discussion.

Pup's Post Season Poll

1- Freddy- I've said it before and I'll probably say it again next season, defense wins Championships. Freddy had only 270 points scored against them the entire season, that's the second best points against total in all of TAPPS (Boerne Geneva #1 with 231, who also used to be a district foe of Freddy). Combine that with a smashmouth, ball control style of offense and you've got a team that's hard to beat. Freddy is disciplined, doesn't turn the ball over, and is always well prepared.

2- Seguin- Yep, Seguin! I'm basing this on strength of schedule and head-to-head versus Freddy. If you look at opponents this season, Seguin played four teams (Freddy twice) that were ranked inside of 100 on Granger's master list. Longview played none. Seguin lost to Freddy twice, once by 20 and once by 8. Longview lost to Freddy by 30. Seguin is VERY quick on defense and gives teams fits. They are sure tacklers and don't mind hitting. Seguin gave up 309 points this season against an arguably better schedule than Longview. I would have liked to seen Seguin play Granbury or Longview in the playoffs, I think they would have shown District 2 it wasn't so strong after all.

3- Longview- Congratulations, Longview, on a very good season. You have shown what a tall, fast, strong-armed, dominant senior can do for a team. You put up a lot of points with a razzle-dazzle spread style offense. Defensively Longview had 301 points scored against (yes, that's less than Seguin, I know). However, Longview played a bunch of lesser teams so they should have dominated defensively. District 2 was the only real "complete" district in DIII this year. They benefitted from having five other teams all scrapping for a district championship. Until this year there was no team that was truly dominant in District 2.

4- Granbury- Yes, I know they lost to Notre Dame, yes I know they lost to Longview, yes I know they lost to Fort Worth Classical, but they were playing very good ball when it mattered. I feel they would have beaten Longview in a playoff rematch. Granbury stretched teams with their athleticism, especially offensively. However, when it came time to play a tough, physical team, they didn't have the defense to make a run at the State title.

5- Notre Dame/Wichita Christian/San Marcos- No real dominant team after the top 4. Notre Dame won a VERY weak and small district. Wichita Christian made a run with what sounds like a "special" freshman. One player doesn't make a team. San Marcos dealt all their cards when they played Freddy and Seguin in the regular season and had nothing left for the playoffs. If they had been shipped up north I feel they would have faired better. I'm sure they feel cheated in having to face a Granbury team that was starting to click, but hey, you have to beat the team in front of you for the right to play on.

Discuss.........

Looking forward to next year. Wish it would get here quicker.

I can't even begin to imagine how good Fredricksburg was this year. I didn't get the chance to see them in person, but I did get the chance to coach against Seguin. Knowing that Freddy was able to beat Seguin twice is pretty impressive. We played Seguin in the first round of the playoffs. I had a running back who was a really special talent (2012 was injured in the 1st quarter of the first game and required surgery, out the rest of the year, 2013 didn't get to play because BCA didn't field a team, 2014 had almost 2,000 rushing yards and 30+ touchdowns pre-district, was injured early in the Texas Christian game with the lead, had 20 yards rushing in district due to being injured) and even though he wasn't 100% he was still hard to handle. With Seguin, we really couldn't do much, even with him in the game. I'm a first year Head Coach, so I guess it's to be expected, but it almost felt like Rabon was in my head because they knew what we were doing before we did it. They beat us 51-6 in the 3rd, and they were a phenomenal team. Knowing that Freddy beat them twice lets me know what kind of team they were. Amazing.

Having been close to the Lifegate program for 12 years (I did go to about four games this year, including both Freddy games, but that's because I like getting hugs from Mrs. Shipman) but no longer involved, maybe I can say a couple things from stepping back.

Lifegate is a young team ... I think they lose two seniors, one (JR Reneau) was a pretty solid kid and maybe have a couple juniors (2015 seniors), so they could be a strong team for not only 2015 but 2016 as well. Daniel Fiedler, their wide receiver, made two catches in the second game against Freddy that were unbelievable. One looked like he pulled a balloon from the sky on a string and the other was pretty darn good as well.

Suprisingly, Freddy only had single coverage on him and Lifegate really didn't take advantage of his speed.

They have a strong sophomore group (and would have been stronger if one young man hadn't transferred to Navarro HS for high school, where he plays basketball for his dad the head coach as well as football). And those kids have played 25 games (13 last year and 12 this year), so it's like they're a half-season ahead of everybody else.

The two things they need to work on is their maturity ... I saw a lot of personal foul penalties and two ejections against Hill Country may have cost them that game ... and being able to put together a full game for 40 minutes (which may go back to maturity). Both Freddy games could have been Lifegate wins; the second game, Lifegate more-or-less checked out the third quarter and let Freddy score three pretty easy scores. Losses to Annapolis and Hill Country both were games that should have been won and even the win against Veritas was one where Lifegate had a big lead and let Veritas back into the game.

Only Castle Hills (which I didn't attend) was the game where they were blown out early and came back to at least make it respectable; but there's a long list of folks who got their heads handed to them by Castle Hills this year.

I forget what Freddy has coming back, so I'm not going to count them out. As usual, this is going to be the strongest district in D3. You know, if Shipman ever learns that you can pass the ball, he's gonna be impossible to beat.

Just remember -- it wasn't too many years ago that Freddy, Lifegate, Geneva, and Castle Hills were all in the same district. I count 10 state titles and at least 14 finals appearances among those teams (and two of those losses, by Freddy, were against Lifegate and Castle Hills).

As the Scripture says, Iron Sharpens Iron.

Pattillo's Post Season Poll

1. Fredericksburg Heritage - Shipman's powerhouse graduated a mighty group of seniors, including three off the 1st Team All-State list. The main loss will be running back Parker Pattillo who had a monster year rushing for the Eagles. Klepac (C), Lucas (OL/DL), and the rest of those seniors will be sorely missed. There goes that sizable Freddy line. However, there's a solid group of underclasssmen. The dynasty isn't going to end anytime soon. On a side note, remember that Hoermann kid we had a few years back? He's got two younger brothers about to hit high school. Sucks to be in District 3.

2. Wichita Falls Notre Dame - I know they ended this year with that whole 2 point curse again, but they've got a lot of talent coming back. I want to point out their returning defense: Abernathy (Sr.) was 1st Team DL, and then Fantini (Sr.) and Salazar (Sr.) were both 2nd Team LB. Then there's also younger McElroy (Jr.) as 2nd Team DB. Strong defense. Offensively it's a lot of those same names plus Whitten (Jr.) who was 2nd Team RB. Now I know the All-State lists aren't by any means definitive, and there's a lot of hoopla around them, but they do serve as a little insight into roster strength. I think WFND has plenty of it. I see them easily capturing their little District 1 again, despite Drew Brooks (So.) at WF Christian.

3. Seguin Lifegate - I think District 3 is always a strong district. Coach Rabon consistently puts together successful teams and I don't see why he can't do it again. As far as the character issues listed above, I tend to be of the mind that people grow up. I hope, for reasons outside of football, that those young men at SL will do just that. That southern defense will keep on shutting down offenses with McKinney (Jr.) and Fiedler (Sr.) coming back as 1st Team LB and DB selections. I don't see Seguin taking the district title from Freddy, but I do see them headed north in the playoffs and wreaking havoc. Best of luck to our brothers at SL.

4. Longview Trinity - I have no real intel on this team besides Forrest Houston. From what I can see, it's going to be another one man show for Longview, and we know how those end. That being said, I don't see any reason they can't take District 2 again. Houston grabbed 1st Team DB and Utility Back. He's obviously got the talent. I think it's just a matter of whether they can get some talent alongside him. And, as Pup said above, DEFENSE wins championships. Good luck to the boys at Longview.

5. WF Christian - I think if there's a surprise team coming next season, it's these guys. I know they've got the young freshman, I believe his name is Drew Brooks. I think he's going to run all over people next year despite his youth. WF Christian also is returning Aaron Baker (Sr.) who snagged Hon. Ment. LB, as well as Holsberry (Sr.) who was Hon. Men. WR. I think these guys have a strong group coming back. But as lightning quick as that offense will be, I think WFND's powerful defense will stop them. But, look out for WF Christian in my opinion. They're my sleeper pick.

6. San Marcos Hill Country - It's unfortunate a team like San Marcos has to be in such a strong district when I feel they would dominate in say, District 4. They've also got some skill coming back: Donoho (Sr.) was 1st Team LB and 2nd Team RB, also an offensive force Flak (Sr.) was 2nd Team WR. A nice selection of All-State Honorable Mentions joins them: George (Jr.) DL and Lyerla (So.) WR. On top of that they should continue a nice kicking game with 2nd Team Kicker, Daniels. I think San Marcos is almost interchangeable as number 5 with WF Christian, however, they are in the wrong district to make a move. But once they get sent north, beware. They're going to shred some people next year.

That's my top 6, Pup. Take em or leave em.

A general reply to your comment on Granbury saying:
I feel they would have beaten Longview in a playoff rematch.
I must point out that Freddy played the teams in question back to back weeks at identical locations under similar pressures, so we can consider Freddy's play fairly constant. Freddy TROUNCED Granbury. Pattillo BURIED them with 11 touchdowns. Freddy DOUBLED their score, winning 90-45. The next week, Freddy took Longview by 30. Longview's defense held Pattillo to 5 touchdowns I believe. At halftime, Trinity was only down one score. That's it. I think if Granbury and Longview had met in the playoffs, Longview would have put a sound beating on Granbury. But that's just my opinion.

Pre-2015 Season "Awards" Predictions

Division III MVP: Forrest Houston (Sr.) - Longview Trinity
Offensive Player of the Year: Drew Brooks (So.) - WF Christian
Defensive Player of the Year: Jake Abernathy (Sr.) - Wichita Falls Notre Dame
Come-up Player of the Year: Parker Given (Jr.) Fredericksburg Heritage
Coach of the Year: Tim Shipman - Frederisksburg Heritage (as if I have to specify the team, haha!)
State Champions: Fredericksburg Heritage
Best Offense: Longview Trinity
Best Defense: Fredericksburg Heritage
Biggest Falloff ('14 to '15): Granbury NCTA
Come-Up Team of the Year: Wichita Falls Christian

Can't wait for 2015!

Dixon .... I got a heck of a chuckle out of your line ...

"Sucks to be in District 3."

You are wise beyond your years.

And remember ... "Defense wins Championships. Offense wins the other bowl games."

Wichita Christian v Notre Dame

WC's strength isn't just Brooks. It's the 1-2 punch of Brooks and Baker. Brooks led the team in rushing, receiving, TDs, tackles, and led the entire area (6man & 11man) with 10 fumble recoveries. But, Baker wasn't far behind in those categories. They didn't find their offensive identity until midseason with an experienced coach new to sixman. Neither Brooks nor Baker touch the speed and elusiveness of ND's Whitten. Both teams are limited on depth. ND's Abernathy should be the biggest and strongest athlete on the field but loses his cool easily. (He had 3 personal foul calls v. WC, but the refs refused to toss him). I've heard there are questions as to the age of returning senior QB Salazar...that situation would tip the scale to WC. Otherwise, I would expect it to be as close as it was last season. One new player to either team could also make all the difference.

What makes the kid from ND so dirty? People say "oh he is dirty or that was dirty". Dirty is trying to fight every play. Playing hard and physical is not dirty. Football is a collision sport, not tiddlywinks. If you don't want to get hit or hurt every now and then, go join the chess club or debate team.

1- Freddy (State Champions)
2- Trinity (State Runner-Up)
3- FW Covenant
4- NCTA
5- Seguin

That is the best 5 teams from 2014 in my opinion.

Game Traveler":liyvem2m said:
1- Freddy (State Champions)
2- Trinity (State Runner-Up)
3- FW Covenant
4- NCTA
5- Seguin

That is the best 5 teams from 2014 in my opinion.

Fort Worth? Fort Worth Covenant? REALLY? The third best team in DIII? Wow.........!!!! Seguin #5? Holy Cow!

Deep breath, exhale......... OK, lets look at the facts and common opponents (Freddy and Longview are the common thread). Longview 45'd FW twice. Longview lost to Freddy by 30. Seguin lost to Freddy twice just like FW and Longview. However, Seguin lost once by 20 and once by 8. All other factors thrown out we can argue that Seguin would have beaten Longview by 2, so therefore, Fort Worth would have been 45'd by Seguin. I haven't seen much of FW but I have seen Seguin play in person. They aren't big but are VERY scrappy, they are really quick, and play suffocating defense. Two years removed from their State Championship with tons of playoff experience I think Seguin handles Fort Worth just fine.

Too bad the playoff bracket was set up with so many district teams replaying. I'm sure Fort Worth didn't really want to play Longview again. Same could be said for Seguin and Freddy. If Seguin had gone north and not had to play Freddy in the second round I feel they would have faced Longview in the semis with a chance to see Freddy at State.

pup":1iqx2hui said:
Two years removed from their State Championship with tons of playoff experience I think Seguin handles Fort Worth just fine.

Pup, while I do not disagree with this prediction, I do not agree with your transitive properties of football. Unlike Math, football does not have that quality. If it did, then Army football would have beaten Ohio State (follow the transitive properties through our victory over UCONN and you'll declare us National Champions). But that's ludicrous! In my opinion, head to head matchups carry the real significance. Not to say there isn't correlation with transferring scores, but there's too many variables. Perhaps Shipman threw in the Freshman, or didn't run up the score, or played certain players. Maybe the Freddy offense works really well against one defense and not another, maybe playing at Seguin's house has a magical effect on Freddy's ability to put up big points (it does). There are too many different factors and variables for us to sit here and declare a winner based off of how badly two teams lost. It just doesn't work like that.
Remember: Any given team on Any given day...
I just happen to think that Seguin's defense would have been able to handle the FWCC offense. But maybe that's just my Southern bias showing. Defense wins championships.

Game Traveler, I agree, playing hard, or playing passionately, is not dirty football. One ought to play with a sense of reckless abandonment. Signs of "dirty" football are late hits, bad-mouthing and taunting, cheap shots, and just general Ndamukong Suh-esque actions. I'm not claiming Abernathy plays dirty, I've never seen him play. But be sure we don't confuse hard nosed football, or poor officiating, for dirty play.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I think that those teams deserved to be in top 5 since they went pretty far in the playoffs. I cant help that Seguin and Freddy met so early, maybe if one went north and one went south like in previous years they would have met at state again. If you have an issue with that, then talk to TAPPS about the bracket they set up. I am sorry that you don't like my opinion. Do you want me to say "I totally agree with your opinion, and I have no opinion on this matter because you know it all". YEAH RIGHT!

So should the Broncos be ranked #2 in the top 5 teams of the year in the NFL even though they are not one of the final 4 teams left. No lets just discredit everything that everyone else did, because they got lucky and didn't play tougher teams in the playoffs. Sure I pulled for Freddy to win it all, but my gosh there were some good teams this year and Longview and FWCC exceeded every ones expectations. Lets just make the Top 5 as follows:

#1- Freddy
#2- Seguin
#3- irrelevant
#4- Who cares
#5- Doesn't Matter

Game Traveler":2640r28o said:
#1- Freddy
#2- Seguin
#3- irrelevant
#4- Who cares
#5- Doesn't Matter

I like it!!!

Dixon_Pattillo10- Shouldn't you be in class, or doing push-ups or something? Transitive what.....? Any given team on any give day, OK I can understand that. Hey, I like Army winning the National Championship. Matchups are HUGE. It is my belief, Traveler, that Seguin would have beat Fort Worth and then been in a high scoring win against Longview if they had been on the other side of the bracket. I'm not complaining at all. You gotta beat the team in front of you to earn the right to keep playing. We didn't take care of business and had to stay home. In my mind, Traveler, the four best teams were Freddy and Seguin from the south, and Longview and Granbury from the north. My OPINION....... But you know what they say about opinions- Everybody's got 'em and they all stink.

I'm not sure how you counter a comment reference of a player having 3 personal fouls in a game and say that's just playing hard, but okay.

Well congratulations for insulting and singling out a CHILD on a public forum. Bravo! I am sure his parents, fans, peers, and coaches would tell you different.

Pup you are correct, opinions don't mean much but I will be more than happy to give you mine any day just like everyone else on here.

Here is the new TAPPS Division III Disclaimer:

ATTENTION! All teams in Division III, if you play too hard you will be mistaken for playing Dirty. Also, you might as well not play at all, because no one in TAPPS Division III is as good as Seguin Lifegate or Fredericksburg Heritage....YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

***This is just my opinion and it is not mean't to hurt anyone's feelings or cause harm to anyone. Also no animals were harmed in this message.***

Back