2-A-Day Numbers?

That’s why I was wondering over say, a 10 year period, at any given school, what the average number of players was. What was the smallest number of kids on a State Championship team ?
Just curious..........

We average around 23-25 since I've been here. Could we field an 11man team? Probably, but at least half of our players are not ready for the varsity level. Getting ready for a team like Iraan (for example) and having to use several sophomores and freshmen for a portion of the game would be tough....which could hurt numbers the following years.

FCSA football":cr6q4myx said:
What was the smallest number of kids on a State Championship team ?
Just curious..........

I would say that the 2012 Richland Springs State Championship team might just be the smallest one, with 12 players!

I agree with Coach Jones. White Deer has 26 out this year and numbers have grown up to that in the last 3 years. 5 years ago when we went 6 man, one of the main reasons why we went is that we would not have had a team if we would have stayed 11 man. None of the boys wanted to play and there were easily 30+ boys in high school. Kids were getting tired of not being able to compete with the surrounding 11 man teams.

Interesting discussion and enlightened, intelligent and civilized conversations.
I coached 11 man until 7 years ago and then I helped start a 6 man program at a Faith based
School. I could never go back to 11man. This is way too much fun!
We’ve had as many as 23, this year we have 11 so far. Might get a couple of more.

I realize that opinions are like some other things, and that everyone has one. Since we are talking numbers, I would like to stir this around a little bit.
I think that the coach/player ratio that exceeds 1/6 is detrimental to the success of the team. When the coaches are trying to handle too many kids, the younger and less talented get little to no attention and therefore are basically ignored in practice, or if the coaches try to give all players the attention that they need, then the best players are not getting the "special" attention that they deserve. What do you think?

Johnny South":3leb13wo said:
I realize that opinions are like some other things, and that everyone has one. Since we are talking numbers, I would like to stir this around a little bit.
I think that the coach/player ratio that exceeds 1/6 is detrimental to the success of the team. When the coaches are trying to handle too many kids, the younger and less talented get little to no attention and therefore are basically ignored in practice, or if the coaches try to give all players the attention that they need, then the best players are not getting the "special" attention that they deserve. What do you think?

As much as I would like to argue, your point is very valid. While I believe the specific number itself depends on the coach, the logic is spot on. Great post to ponder.

coachsatcher":2gy2e6v8 said:
Johnny South":2gy2e6v8 said:

As much as I would like to argue, your point is very valid. While I believe the specific number itself depends on the coach, the logic is spot on. Great post to ponder.
Such is life.
Practice plans can accommodate all challenges.
Just like in the classroom.
So-called best players can help younger players.
Not that hard for a real teacher/coach.
John Wooden spent hours with his staff planning practice.

FCSA football":2q7l5efh said:
Schools with 25, 30 or more playing 6 man ?
With those kind of numbers seems like they should be playing 11 man.
Say Leman, what’s the average number of players on a 6 man team any way?
Just asking.........

While some of those schools may be close to the 11 man cut off, I think it is almost a fact that most sixman schools have more boys than girls. I have my Lohn HS 2008 yearbook in front of me to serve as an example:

Freshman: 4 girls, 3 boys
Sophomores: 2 girls, 6 boys
Juniors: 2 girls, 4 boys
Seniors: 0 girls, 8 boys

Total: 8 girls, 21 boys = 29 total

Obviously this is just one school at one point in time, but even Lohn, one of the smallest schools in the State of Texas, could have had 20 boys playing if everyone played in a given year.

I think a lot of boys get disenfranchised at a larger 11 man school and moved to a 6 man school as a result. Of the 12 boys that played football my senior year, 6 of us went to Brady together at one point in time.

FCSA football":3v25bdne said:
Schools with 25, 30 or more playing 6 man ?
With those kind of numbers seems like they should be playing 11 man.
Say Leman, what’s the average number of players on a 6 man team any way?
Just asking.........

In UIL they determine who plays 6 man or 11 man, so a team could have 100 kids total in the school and in theory have 50 boys all come out for football and they would be 6 man per UIL... TAPPS has started allowing teams to choose and so you get teams like Emry that have way larger numbers choosing 6 man and competing with schools that most times may have 10 kids. Live Oak also has large numbers and chooses 6 man in TAPPS.

I've read and understand everyone's valid points made about numbers? But, when a school whether private or public can turn out numbers in the high teens to low 20's year after year, shouldn't they be approached about moving up to 11 man?
I don't think the choice should be left up to a school and it's coaches on whether they want to stay 6 or 11 man. Naturally, if you dominate year after year with a large roster numerically in 6 man, your probably not going to want to move up and possibly struggle and be a whipping post for 11 man.
So, where does the balance come from? The schools, TAPPS, TCAL, TCAF or independent. Who makes the call about when programs should move to 11 man or stay 6 man. Look forward to hearing back from the 6 man world.

A lot of folks think that ALL public schools are UIL. Not true. School Districts make that decision.
Charter Schools are by definition (they receive taxpayers dollars) public schools but I’m not aware of any Charter Schools that are UIL, so......
Fill us in Leman !

JH PACER COACH":1p8qpyig said:
I've read and understand everyone's valid points made about numbers? But, when a school whether private or public can turn out numbers in the high teens to low 20's year after year, shouldn't they be approached about moving up to 11 man?
I don't think the choice should be left up to a school and it's coaches on whether they want to stay 6 or 11 man. Naturally, if you dominate year after year with a large roster numerically in 6 man, your probably not going to want to move up and possibly struggle and be a whipping post for 11 man.
So, where does the balance come from? The schools, TAPPS, TCAL, TCAF or independent. Who makes the call about when programs should move to 11 man or stay 6 man. Look forward to hearing back from the 6 man world.

So you think the governing body should mandate what schools do? So, say a school is made to play 11man because they have 30+ out one year. So they are put into a district, etc...and the next year 13 kids show up on the first day. So for two years, they are expected to play an 11man schedule? Or choose to play outlaw sixman, taking away all chances for district titles, playoff games, and post season honors? Seriously? That makes zero sense. And yes, numbers can change that way. I’ll use us (GC) as an example. This year we have 32....20 are juniors and seniors. Our freshman class has three boys total in their class. By your thinking we should be forced to play 11man?

JH Pacer Coach:

No league should mandate what schools and coaches decide. Just because you have 25 kiddos one year that doesn't mean you will even have 20 the next year. Also, how many coaches want the starting LG to weight 145 lbs and standing 5'8 in the 11man game. Coach Jones made a good point along with another individual on this site saying the numbers would drop off if they went 11man. It is more fun for the smaller guys. We are trying to build a program. Are we really building a program when OL and DL the size of most slot wideouts. We have had 17-18 in our program the last three seasons, and we were expecting close to 20 this year. However, we only have 12 in the program which is an extremely low for us. I had 11 football boys in the 8th grade class last year, and we only have two 8th grade football boys in this year's current class. That is just small schools in the UIl and TAPPS sector.

TCAF cannot be compared in that sense to the other (main two leagues) as they can use a percentage as homeschoolers in their programs. We don't get that opportunity.

Personally, I love 6man and have been coaching it for 12 years now. Would I go 11man in my program? If I had 11man type of bodies I would consider it at the JH level first and then HS if we could maintain and sustain that over 2 full realignments.

Just because you have 26 kiddos that doesn't mean you need to go 11man. Now if you have 8-10 OL/DL that are true lineman then maybe that is something to consider, but I would NEVER and I say NEVER make that jump at the HS level first. I have seen 3-4 coaches off of the top of my head make that jump.. I'm like are you sure coach, and their response was the community wants it and then they find their way back down to the 6man game.

I will also add this as I was an assistant coach at Glenview Christian School in 2007 we almost move up to 11man in 2008. In 2006, GCS won a state title, and in 2007 we went to the state game and lost in the championship. We had 24 football players with about 8 seniors and 6 that played a lot out of that group in 07. We are were expecting 3-4 players moving up to high school in 08. Several folks in the community wanted us to go 11man. I think our AD/HFC said we are looking at least 19 guys and possible a few other that would come out. He was a 6man dude and went to (11man school) Frisco Legacy for the spring district meeting. He pushed it, I pushed it, and the community wanted it. Most did for that matter. We got to spring football and we had 5 football guys in April. Are you kidding me coach is my response to him? I will say at that point no one transferred out. So...… Glenview Christian was a powerhouse in the 2005-2009 in the private sector had 20-25 year in and year out. Just my two cents. I used to think man if you have 20 you should go 11man, however I am not of that opinion anymore. Thank the Lord for that. lol. hehe.

Coach J

Back