2-A-Day Numbers?

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
How many kids yall got coming out the first few days of practice?

Garden City - 30
Water Valley - 28
Hermleigh - 25
Richland Springs - 24
O'Donnell - 21
Blackwell - 20
Crowell - 20
High Island - 20
Trinidad - 19 (expecting 1 or 2 more)
Northside - 17
Gordon - 16
Santa Anna - 15 (with a plus 1 coming)
Anton - 14
Eden - 13 (according to twitter)
Oakwood - 11
Rule - 8
Harrold - less than 6 and thus they are cancelling their football season this year

Schools with 25, 30 or more playing 6 man ?
With those kind of numbers seems like they should be playing 11 man.
Say Leman, what’s the average number of players on a 6 man team any way?
Just asking.........

Schools with bigger numbers are a one or two time thing. Coaches are successful in getting almost every boy in school to play or as in most cases a class with a large number of boys. It’s a rarity to see that happen more than 1 or 2 yrs. Other schools can struggle with numbers from time to time but in the six man ranks it can be a constant struggle.
FCSA football":yae9p7xw said:

FCSA football":1pa7jchz said:
Schools with 25, 30 or more playing 6 man ?
With those kind of numbers seems like they should be playing 11 man.
Say Leman, what’s the average number of players on a 6 man team any way?
Just asking.........

Who is to say that many will participate if we were to play 11man? We might not have those numbers. Sixman is more fun.

Just because you have 25 or more guys one year, doesn’t mean you will have those numbers year in and year to out. I’ve seen schools public, and private have over 20 one year, and less than 10 the next. Unless you can guarantee those type of numbers for at least two alignments, then sixman is a much better option. Plus, I agree it’s more fun.

Benjamin - 6 - and are playing
Guthrie - 6 - and are playing

As to the question regarding numbers - Coach Jones' point is a very good one.

I would add that there are a lot of things that factor in and every place is different. Participation is about the coach, the culture, the tradition, and community attitudes in general (you could argue that is part of culture).

I have no problem with a team fielding 20+ or 30+ kids and that is mainly bc there are two divisions now. If there were just one division like pre 2006 I might think otherwise.

Personally Im not a fan of the "how many are out for two-a-days" topic...to me it's more important how many you retain or gain and are on the squad week 1.

And I will add success isnt driven by how many kids are standing on the sideline. True there is probably a point (a number) where it is to some extent...like is you have less than 12 it starts to hurt you (hypothetically speaking)

Back