1st vs 4th

CoachMiller

Six-man fan
I took a little time to look at the 1st place versus 4th place in 2A Divisions 1 & 2.

Average score

1st 50.47 4th 10.69

1st place won 29 games
4th place won 3 games

Again, this is an issue for me. 4th place teams do not deserve to be in the playoffs.

I am betting, as the divisions get larger, the balance between the two gets closer. More athletes to choose from means a lot. Maybe someone will do the other schools...3A - 5A

This is close,
6A - 6@45+ and at least 2@40+
5A - 9@45+ and at least 3@40+
4A - 11@45+ and at least 1@40+ One 4th place team 45ed other team
3A - 9 @45
2A - 15 @45

My opinion, I like it the way it is. The first week may have one sided games but then the
State Championship has games ending early. Still wish I had that time machine so I could
watch more games.

Last edited:
As long as the UIL gets 16% of the gate, they will not cut down on the number of teams qualifying. Especially when some teams (like us) don't charge a gate at all for a playoff game and they get nothing.

This is 5A I thru 2A 2 number of 4th place teams that won and beat 1st place teams from another district.
I said earlier that a 4th place team beat another by more than 45. It was a 3rd place team with only
3 wins. It was Pittsburg, home of Pittsburg Hot Links.

5A 1 - 4 5A 2 - 1
4A 1 - 4 4A 2 - 2
3A 1 - 0 3A 2 - 3
2A 1 - 1 2A 2 - 2

In 6A, they have 32 districts and they take the top four. Of these four, the two largest go D1 and two
smallest go D2. Allen is always D1 and Tyler Legecy is always D2 no matter where they come out in
district. Of the two largest schools the school that comes in higher in the district is seeded higher as
well as D2. It is possible for 3rd in district to be listed as leader in their district in seeding for playoffs.
As you can tell, I like playoffs as they are. As I said earlier, my opinion. Good luck to all our fine young
students in High School extracurricular activities especially six-man football. Coaches, siblings, parents,
grandparents, and fans also.

@pistol It's not about the runner-up. It's about teams making the playoffs but not winning a district ballgame. This is what is happening in the larger school divisions. This "everyone gets a trophy" concept is out of control.

@Jones26 is correct, it's all about the money, and the UIL will not change it, but when does a team deserve to be in the playoffs if they do not win a single district game?

@pistol It's not about the runner-up. It's about teams making the playoffs but not winning a district ballgame. This is what is happening in the larger school divisions. This "everyone gets a trophy" concept is out of control.

@Jones26 is correct, it's all about the money, and the UIL will not change it, but when does a team deserve to be in the playoffs if they do not win a single district game?
Exactly! Good stuff Coach!

1. You don't get a trophy for making the playoffs, you get a trophy for winning district and/or winning a playoff game(s)

2. If it is about This "everyone gets a trophy" concept you're so worried about, then the runner-ups should not make playoffs either. Only the teams that win district. They are the only ones the actually won anything from the regular season.

3. If it's about teams making the playoffs but not winning a district game, then you need to stop looking at the raw numbers of just 1st vs 4th as a lot of the 4th place teams have won district ball games. And you need to start looking up the teams that actually made the playoffs without winning any games ( one of the 4a or 5a regions was filled with a lot of 4 team districts)

1. You don't get a trophy for making the playoffs, you get a trophy for winning district and/or winning a playoff game(s)

2. If it is about This "everyone gets a trophy" concept you're so worried about, then the runner-ups should not make playoffs either. Only the teams that win district. They are the only ones the actually won anything from the regular season.

3. If it's about teams making the playoffs but not winning a district game, then you need to stop looking at the raw numbers of just 1st vs 4th as a lot of the 4th place teams have won district ball games. And you need to start looking up the teams that actually made the playoffs without winning any games ( one of the 4a or 5a regions was filled with a lot of 4 team districts)
So when/if the UIL decides to add 3-4 teams to the playoffs in both divisions do you think that's ok? Would you think that's good for 6man football overall?
Let me reiterate Coach Miller... His team went 8-2, lost two district games, therefore they were not eligible to make the playoffs... Take 1 if it makes you happy! I'm just saying the current format (take D Champ and Runner up) the same. We cannot water it down anymore like the 11man schools do? Get it now?

For a few divisions, it's hard to make some five team districts because of geography. They can't just add another team to make a five-team district if that fifth team is 6 hours away. So some districts are stuck with four teams, all of which will make the playoffs. Is it prefect? No. But geographically, there is now ay around a few districts with 4 teams. You can't throw a metroplex team in with a 4-team Panhandle district just to make it five teams. Maybe this realignment, some schools' numbers move around just right to keep this from happening too many times.

This is 5A I thru 2A 2 number of 4th place teams that won and beat 1st place teams from another district.
I said earlier that a 4th place team beat another by more than 45. It was a 3rd place team with only
3 wins. It was Pittsburg, home of Pittsburg Hot Links.

5A 1 - 4 5A 2 - 1
4A 1 - 4 4A 2 - 2
3A 1 - 0 3A 2 - 3
2A 1 - 1 2A 2 - 2

In 6A, they have 32 districts and they take the top four. Of these four, the two largest go D1 and two
smallest go D2. Allen is always D1 and Tyler Legecy is always D2 no matter where they come out in
district. Of the two largest schools the school that comes in higher in the district is seeded higher as
well as D2. It is possible for 3rd in district to be listed as leader in their district in seeding for playoffs.
As you can tell, I like playoffs as they are. As I said earlier, my opinion. Good luck to all our fine young
students in High School extracurricular activities especially six-man football. Coaches, siblings, parents,
grandparents, and fans also.
I do not like the school name changes. Tome it will ALWAYS be Tyler Lee, Midland Lee. I am tired of all the PC BS.

Back