1 point safety rule

Yes and yes. Although it would be a bit tricky to have one sixman since the ball becomes dead on a try. The only way it could happen is if the offense lost possession and the defense batted the ball back into their own end zone and it became dead there. At that point they would be responsible for it being in their own end zone making it a safety.

Legacy Zebra":3n3qtqq5 said:
Yes and yes. Although it would be a bit tricky to have one sixman since the ball becomes dead on a try. The only way it could happen is if the offense lost possession and the defense batted the ball back into their own end zone and it became dead there. At that point they would be responsible for it being in their own end zone making it a safety.

I thought the rule was simply that the play was dead when it was obvious that the try had failed.

But I've been wrong before (even today).

Can you please give some examples, details and a clear definition of a “kick try”? If the holder muffs the snap and the kicker can’t kick the ball does that meet the definition of a “kick try”? There has been some questions before about the holder and his role as to what he can and cannot do before the ball is ruled “dead”.

Until there is actually a legal kick, it's nothing. Once the ball is kicked, then it is dead if the kick is obviously unsuccessful. If the holder muffs the snap, he can still run or pass. He can even pass the ball with his knee still on the ground.

Legacy,
I thought it would only be a safety if the defense possessed the ball in play and then took it back into their endzone where the play ended. To me a "batted" ball doesn't imply possession and therefore would result basically in a touch back when covered up by the defense.

Batting a ball applies new impetus and the player who bats it is then responsible for the ball going over the goal line. Also remember that batting is an intentional act. Simply muffing the ball in an attempt to recover it would not be new impetus and thus the fumbling team would still be responsible.

Back