1 Point Safety

Legacy Zebra

Six-man fan
For anybody watching the Oregon-K State Fiesta Bowl, here's the rule for the 1 point safety that Oregon was awarded.

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 1: The point values of scoring plays shall be:...Successful Try:Touchdown-2 Points, Field Goal or Safety-1 Point.

For those who weren't watching, Kansas State blocked an extra point, recovered the ball in the field of play and then retreated into their own endzone where the ball was declared dead. That's a safety and since it was on a PAT, not a normal down, it is worth 1 point, not 2.

I about jumped out of my chair when I saw it happen. I thought the crew missed it at first. And this could actually happen in 6-man. Obviously not the way it happened tonight, but it is possible. Let's say the offense is going for 1 and fumbles the ball in the field of play and the defense bats the ball backwards a) out of bounds through the endzone or b) into their own endzone where the defense falls on it. In either instance this would be a safety and the offense would be awarded 1 point.

Back when it was still allowed...in six-man...if you blocked an extra point kick and when it was a live ball, if the defense picked it up and returned it back, how many points was it worth? 1 or 2?

oneday":bwxxhqwy said:
Back when it was still allowed...in six-man...if you blocked an extra point kick and when it was a live ball, if the defense picked it up and returned it back, how many points was it worth? 1 or 2?
OK, I give up.
I know it's worth two in 11 man, so I'm guessing one since I'm thinking it would be easier to do in 6 man.
I'm a relative newby to 6 man and don't have a clue.

My guess would be 1. The defense would have scored a touchdown, which is worth 1 point on a try. But I haven't been around long enough to know for sure.

oneday":1mdupgp2 said:
I know this is not allowed today...however it use to be...

When someone blocked an extra point kick and picked it up and returned it for 2 points...was it recorded as a return from the line of scrimmage (usually the 3 yard line) making it a 77 yards return...or from where the ball was picked up and returned from...???
It was 2 points. oneday has the answer in another thread.

hornkeeper12":1dro2nr8 said:
I wish they would put that rule back in.

You must not officiate. :) ha ha. You realize how many blocked kicks that would be returned each game. There aren't that many kicks that score. I'd like to see the statewide stats on blocked kicks. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% are blocked. That's a lot of 80 yard runs for a Referee to make. I can handle it. Bring back the rule that lets them return it.

JasonTX":2d79tu1w said:
hornkeeper12":2d79tu1w said:
I wish they would put that rule back in.

You must not officiate. :) ha ha. You realize how many blocked kicks that would be returned each game. There aren't that many kicks that score. I'd like to see the statewide stats on blocked kicks. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% are blocked. That's a lot of 80 yard runs for a Referee to make. I can handle it. Bring back the rule that lets them return it.
Actually I started doing jh and jv games last year. But I wasn't looking at it from that view. Maybe they should leave it like it is, lol.

Back