Worth the read

Excellent article. I will say that I have seen exactly what's written about in numerous places throughout the state and country in my travels. But I will also say that although the atmosphere written about does permeate the game, there are places where those important aspects (purpose) are still taught. I am proud to say that I see the purpose: teamwork, discipline, leadership and the other traits mentioned not only taught but lived by our wonderful head coach at White Deer. (And subsequently the 1A Coach of the Week last week per Dave Campbell's) And guess what - those true traits will lead to the W's and the boys learn much more in the process.

We are truly blessed to have Coach Rucker instilling values into our boys that they will remember and allow to guide them through the rest of the lives. Thank you Coach Rucker for everything you do.

I have nothing but respect for you coaches. My hometown used to be well known for allowing coaches to stay for as long as they wanted and most stayed for an entire career but nowadays rumors going around town that if the coach doesn't put together a playoff run he may be out. What really irks me is how the public sees the change in coach. We read the paper or news that the coach resigned and is moving on to be closer to family (not to mention that he was closer to family here than the new school) and then you get the schools statement how they are sad to the see the coach leaving and how good he was for the program. The truth is the school is the one who dumped him. The public never gets to know the truth of what these coaches are really going through. But you continue to stick to the profession and it may not be my kids that get to have you as their coach but at least someones kids will.

What really makes me upset is the moving of a family just to join a successful team. Also schools that put winning ahead of teaching morals and values. Winning is great but is must be attained by fair play and playing by the rules. I had a coach tell me once if you aren't cheating you aren't trying. I wanted to throw up. The great moral problem is do you follow the rules or do what is best for your kids? They are not always the same but the rules are for all to follow.

We live in a micro wave society. Instant gratification. Business used to be for the long term. People didn’t worry about the month, the quarter or year. The measure of the business was not in quarterly results but of a 3,5,10 year plan, expecting and accepting off years as a part of growing a long term successful business. Now the market determines who stays and who goes in the next quarter. There is no long term, no long term plan, no loyalty, no long term employees, players, coaches, business leaders etc. It is who we have become. Why should high school sports be any different? Just follow the $$$$$$$.
Just saying............

Back