Why/when did 45'ing teams become so popular

speedkills":3fatafo0 said:
Coach Jones, you are correct but let's look at that logically: if you're already up 35-0 after 10-15 plays then you'll be up 45+ after another 3-5 snaps. So your starters are not getting any appreciable extra work. To get them a decent quantity of reps in that scenario means committing to probably ending the game at halftime up 70+, and realistically they still might only get 25 plays.

A good scenario for an overmatched situation (up 35-40) is to utilize your younger guys on one side of the ball & leave your starters in on the other side. It typically extends a game that would otherwise end quickly & still gets reps for both groups.

Coach Shelton, that's a solid list of valid reasons/scenarios for ending it early.

As I stated, very tricky situation. The thing is, even after 3-5 more snaps and we are up 45....then that's still 3-5 more snaps we got. Yes, there are many ways coaches can (and do) get all players in, while still getting the starters their reps.

I always thought the rule should be that the team ahead by 45 points wins the game but you keep playing to get other guys experience. I know some schools have a hard time puting 6 on the field, but sixman really hurts itself from a developmental standpoint by playing less than 11.

Satcher hit on a key point; the unwritten code of coaches in regards to when you do and do not 45 someone. I witnessed the coach of the losing team get mad because the coach of the winning team played his backups when he was 1 TD away from 45ing and his starters when he was 2 TD away from the mercy rule. I think the winning coach did it out of respect because he used to coach at the losing school. To be honest, it probably causes too much friction to even worry about. Seriously, it is like the coaches become high school girls fighting over a guy.

Unless the coaches association has changed it the 45 point rule has always been optional as was it's original intent, if both coaches chose before hand to not use the rule they could opt out of it. This however causes problems with record keeping and has generally been avoided since the 1960s.

I would think district committees would have to agree on it as a whole if they wanted to forgo the rule, but non-district games the two sides could agree beforehand to not use the rule as all non-district games are theoretically exhibition games anyway.

I understand the coaches that have posted responses and that they whole hardily disregard the idea that coaches look at and care about rankings and point spreads...it is not a popular opinion but I can assure you some coaches do and it does play a role in this...to what scale is arguable...but it does happen. I also dont like it, but like it or not it happens. That is the last I will say on it.

I think "back in the day" the main reasons for 45ing teams were weather and travel related...like Granger said the coaching pool was smaller and typically it was more personal I think from talking to old coaches, they didnt set out to 45 people if it happened it just happened.

Now days as I said there are a ton of factors, some great (injury awareness) and some misguided (ranking awareness). More teams playing and the division split are the major factors now with all other making up smaller percentages.

In my opinion, a full or near full schedule of JV games are the biggest reason for a large percentage of 45's. If you carry 10 to 12 boys on your varsity, they will all have their positions and get the reps needed for improvement in the varsity games. If they aren't needed at the varsity level for some job they will be getting even more reps at the JV level.

Strawn was mentioned about 45ing people. I know for sure that they had at least two JV games during their year. And quite frankly, they had a RB on their JV that could have started for most teams varsity. Don't know his name or his grade level, but the idea that there were 2 and maybe more RBs better that him at the varsity level is a real eye opener! The real shocker is that I don't think any of the RBs graduated!!

Roddy Maddox was the best in the earlier days about getting all of the kids playing time without 45ing people. In those days it was nearly impossible to get a full schedule for your JV. If you were lucky you might get 1 or 2 a year. When he got a twenty to twenty five point lead he would pull off. If you were good enough to out play his second bunch he would put his first bunch in to maintain the 25 point lead. It made for high scoring games, led his opponants to think that with a break here or there you could actually beat Cherokee, it also led future opponants to underestimate just how good Cherokee was.

Leman, its not just the rankings that lead to the 45ings. Although its there, not just for the coaches, but the kids are aware of the rankings, the school board is aware of the rankings, and the community is aware of the rankings. Lots of pressure on a HC. Add to that the DC wanting to measure what he does by the lack of points scored by the opponant. So where or when do you play a game like Roddy did in the 70s and 80s. I truly believe he wanted the kids on both teams to have fun and feel good about themselves after the game. I fear that Roddy's style of game has passed us by.

Something that would be interesting to see would be the percentages of 45s in 2017 as opposed to the 90s and 80s.. that would be a better indicator if there actually is just more teams getting 45d because there is more teams now

just an ole hornet":2v786f1i said:
I played in the 70"s and there was lot's of 45ing going on then

Point well taken. It's not something new. Players like to score, it's fun to keep doing it if you can.

Jones26...I am sure you are a very respected coach but I can assure you that most coaches know where they are ranked. I have been around coaches for 40 years and many cannot wait for the Padilla poll, Harris Rankings, and Granger Report to come out and see the rankings.

Edward Golden":2975fim5 said:
Jones26...I am sure you are a very respected coach but I can assure you that most coaches know where they are ranked. I have been around coaches for 40 years and many cannot wait for the Padilla poll, Harris Rankings, and Granger Report to come out and see the rankings.

I agree with that. Even I like looking at them. My point is those rankings do not enter my mind during the course of a game. And I have never coached on a staff where the polls decided if we were going to keep our starters in or not.

When you’re up by 40 with 1:00 left in the 2 quarter , 15-20 players on the sideline, and you call a time out so the starters can “finish off” the weaker team, that’s unsportsmanlike. If you’re worried about injuries pull out the starters when you’re up by 30. I know there are times when you can’t help 45ing teams. It happens, but it’s another when you have options to let the kids play. I was coached to play this way, so my outlook may be a little different.

Thirtysix":3itr4aec said:
When you’re up by 40 with 1:00 left in the 2 quarter , 15-20 players on the sideline, and you call a time out so the starters can “finish off” the weaker team, that’s unsportsmanlike. If you’re worried about injuries pull out the starters when you’re up by 30. I know there are times when you can’t help 45ing teams. It happens, but it’s another when you have options to let the kids play. I was coached to play this way, so my outlook may be a little different.
Incorrect. I played a game where we were up by 40 going into half and we pulled our starters. We should have finished them off at half, instead they come back to win by 4. It's not unsportsmanlike... it's securing the victory... a situation we won't let happen again...

Masked Vigilante, did you play in that game you were referring to in your previous post, or were you a coach? How are you up by 40 at the half to a team and they come back to beat you by 4? That sounds like some really bad coaching on your teams part, how do you allow that to happen? Surely, they put the starters back in when the other team started their comeback. That sounds like some really bad coaching and some really bad football playing. I'd be more worried about the football program for that team your referring to, than whether or not 45'ing someone is right or wrong.

JH PACER COACH":3dly92c8 said:
Masked Vigilante, did you play in that game you were referring to in your previous post, or were you a coach? How are you up by 40 at the half to a team and they come back to beat you by 4? That sounds like some really bad coaching on your teams part, how do you allow that to happen? Surely, they put the starters back in when the other team started their comeback. That sounds like some really bad coaching and some really bad football playing. I'd be more worried about the football program for that team your referring to, than whether or not 45'ing someone is right or wrong.

dumb post
it sounds like 6man football to me.
to the discussion.. every situation is different. Some matchups one team is clearly better than the other, in other games (like the one masked was talking about) there probably was not a huge difference in the talent on the teams but teams still get 45'd
Would strawn cut off milford if they played again? probably not. they ball gets rolling and 45 happens in a hurry alot of the time

JH PACER COACH":1xou6cm6 said:
I played and I wouldn't be too worried about our program as we just won back to back state titles...

Okay. Congratulations on back to back state titles. But obviously that wasn't why you were playing. Again, leading by 40 and losing by 4, bad coaching or bad playing, but not the sounds of back to back champions. You and pistol can disagree and say dumb post but the facts are the facts, that you stated yourself. Have a good day!

JH PACER COACH":1ycqpk3l said:
Okay. Congratulations on back to back state titles. But obviously that wasn't why you were playing. Again, leading by 40 and losing by 4, bad coaching or bad playing, but not the sounds of back to back champions. You and pistol can disagree and say dumb post but the facts are the facts, that you stated yourself. Have a good day!

You forgot one other reason why a team can lose a lead like that....injuries. And that has nothing to do with coaching or playing.

Jones26":643n2kt4 said:
You forgot one other reason why a team can lose a lead like that....injuries. And that has nothing to do with coaching or playing.

So very true Jones. As bad as injuries can turn an eleven man team around, the injury bug is a lot worse to the sixman team. Very seldom are the six of equal talent. There is usually one who is a little better than the others in talent and performance. If the one is injured, look out. The momentum will turn so fast that you will be swimmy headed for a week! A lot of times the other players on the team go into some kind of shock and just don't perform to their capabilities, just because the star is out. 45 points can happen very quickly then.

JH PACER COACH":1q9k9xax said:
You can say all you want about "bad coaching or bad playing", but at the end of the day we are back to back state champions. If you don't believe we are state champions or if you don't think we should be, come play us.

Back