Where Credit is Due

SiXmAnMaDnEsS

11-man fan
I have lately noticed a disconcerting trend of playing the "what if" game. I don't like it. Football is not a game of hypotheticals. It is, in all its glory, fair. For example, in my opinion Crowell was better than Abbott. But Abbott won. That's it. No excuses for Crowell, no "what ifs". Abbott out performed Crowell and won a title. I have also heard excuses about weather and how it affects a team and theoretically causes them to play with less effectiveness. Guess what? Both teams of kids are playing in the same weather. If the wind is blowing 100 mph and you are blaming your loss on the weather, why not instead blame it on a pass heavy offense that showed it was one dimensional and the other team made better adjustments? Stop making excuses because you do not have a valid one. Winners win. That's it. And everytime you make an excuse, you are downing the other teams work and game play. These kids don't deserve that. So congrats Abbott on being the better team. Crowell, there is always next year.

SiXmAnMaDnEsS":3mhv3vbq said:
For example, in my opinion Crowell was better than Abbott. But Abbott won.
You know, that happens a lot. When we are playing against our little sisters in the back yard, or against the little physically challenged kid down the block, we start to think that we are pretty great. Then we run up against a real team. WOW! What happened? We were better than they were! How did that happen? We should have 45'd them just like we did all of the others!
Until you have taken on all comers and stood the test, don't get too confident!

They have gold medals and the UIL state championship trophy---they don't need my credit.

As a coach and as a player you better by god examine why you lost. And as a coach it makes sense to analyze why other teams may have lost. It's the whole reason we study old and recent history. Much can be learned by observing others. That truth is common knowledge. Its not making excuses my friend. It benefits anyone to evaluate and learn the reasons which lead to a loss, otherwise the mind covers up the painful facts and prevents us from learning from them. Most of the reason for winning is preparation and philosophy, then there is good luck and bad luck. Some you can control a little and some you cannot. But that must be determined.

Don't forget that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
Those who learn from the past can earn seven state titles, or their first.

I give most of the credit to the boys. They gain the yards and score the points. Congrats to all who have achieved some kind of success this year!

Back