What was the PSAA

11-man fan
Can any of the old timers tell me what the PSAA was??

Attachments

• 1938 PSAA championship.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 5,140
"24 April 1938, Big Spring (TX) Daily Herald, pg. 4, col. 1:
In the inaugural game of the PSAA’s venture into “six-man” football Friday, Coahoma;s Bulldogs and the Westbrook sextet chalked up victories, defeating the Garner and COurtney teams, respectively."

The above is all I could find - it's from here:
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new ... _football/
Maybe it's for Public Schools Athletic Association before UIL was firmly in control?

Old Bearkat knows the answer I'm sure. I was looking around on Lonestarfootball and he has several postings from the Big Springs paper.They throw the PSAA around like everyone knows what it is but never tell you. (That I could find)
OBK has a post on Coahoma's site that says:
"Coahoma was very interested in playing 6 man, but teh refusal of the PSAA to submit to UIL regulation drove them away. Coach Devan of Coahoma felt that the UIL was a better arbiter of eligibility rules than the PSAA, and he ended up right as arguments over eligibility drove the PSAA to extinction after one season of play in 1938."
Great work OBK.

I kept digging around on Lonestarfootball.net and found where OBK had posted:
"garden city's and forsan's very first football games. this was in the pioneer school athletic association (psaa), a league not sanctioned by the til (later uil)"
So it was Pioneer School Athletic Association
Thanks to Old Bearkat, he has done a real service with his research and postings.

One more time to try to become a 6 man fan.
How about that I are one.
And I learned what the PSAA was and that it only lasted one year.

I'd bet on him too, but were 1% off.

Attachments

• The Big Spring Daily Herald Mar 1938.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 4,998
Wow! Thanks for sharing. So I didn't know what it was after all.
Guess I'll be punished by having to go back to being an 11 man fan.
They should have named it Athletic Association. It might have lasted longer.
Activities Association is a sissy name.

In the fall, the Herald was calling it the Pioneer School Athletic Association, but it was originally intended as a substitute dor the UIL for small schools. They were going to also sponsor Basketball, Track, and scholastic competitions, but the arguments over football killed it as Forsan pulled out before the season ended. It seems several of the schools, Forsan among them, were cheating on elgibility.

Good form 51!!!!
Asked and answered.

I would give up my bloated post count
and yours!
to have just a portion
of that old History thread restored.
Man, that was pure gold.

Back