What determines an exchange?

MCH_Bulldog

Six-man fan
We were flagged 3 times yesterday for not completing a "clean" exchange.
On each of the occasions the receiver of the snap, cleanly received the ball, it wasn't fumbled or dropped, he then turned and pitched the ball backwards to our SB who dropped the ball.
I was told because there was no "clean" exchange between the player that received the snap and the SB; that there was no exchange.
I made the argument that there was an exchange even though the SB bobbled and dropped the ball. But I felt like I was talking to a brick wall each time.

My interpretation is this: An exchange is completed when possession of the football is
gained by a receiver of the snap, given up voluntarily or involuntarily by the receiver of the snap, and possession is regained by another player

I asked for them to look the rule up, and I was told we dont have time to look the rule up because they were correct and I was wrong.

If player A pitches to player B and B muffs it then B should be able to advance it. Kind of like a backwards pass. Nonetheless, if. A picked it up that is illegal advancement.

Coach J

Here is verbage from the rule book:

(7-1-4) 10. Unless the ball is kicked or forward passed, it may not be advanced beyond the neutral zone until AFTER AN EXCHANGE has been made between the receiver of the snap and another player. EXCEPTION: Any player of Team A may advance a loose football after it has been touched by a Team B player. PENALTY: 5 yards plus loss of down (illegal procedure) from previous spot (S19 & S9). An exchange is completed when possession of the football is gained by a receiver of the snap, given up voluntarily or involuntarily by the receiver of the snap, and possession is regained by another player of Team A.

Back