Bet you didn't know!

Klaactu

Six-man fan
I was a public and private school band director for 39 years. I loved watching my band cause many an offsides by the visiting football team and I did not know it was illegal. I am sure you coaches hate it when it happens to your team. I looked up the rule under UIL guidelines and all bands are to follow NCAA procedures which are<<<<<<

Guidelines for Bands Playing during Football Games.

UIL Football games are conducted under NCAA Rules. As it relates to when a band may play during the game, the NCAA Football Rule Book states: Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals (NCAA Rule 1-1-6 and UIL Rule 9-2-1-b-5). PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S27]. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified [S47]. To assist with compliance, consider the following procedures: • Have the band stop playing from the time the Offense (of either team) breaks the huddle until the ball is snapped. • Or, in the case of Offenses that do not huddle, have the band stop playing from the time the Center on Offense is over the ball until the ball is snapped. This may necessitate creating shorter versions of some music, as is common practice with college bands. A drum line playing throughout the game generally does not prohibit a team from hearing its signals – use your discretion. Although most officials do warn a band prior to calling a penalty, they are not required to do so. Consider discussing this matter with your head football coach, athletic director, and/or school administration to determine a plan that is appropriate for your school.

15 yards--ouch. I have never in all those years seen a penalty given for this, so this is just an FYI, but your head coach and band director needs to know this rule.

My dad played for TCU, and he always told me Texas A&M's band was much louder and harder to hear than any other band by far.

Honestly this band rule is stupid. I was in band at my high school and we didn’t follow the rule at all and I hope other bands don’t either

Honestly this band rule is stupid. I was in band at my high school and we didn’t follow the rule at all and I hope other bands don’t either
If a team complains about a band not stopping their playing at some designated time until the ball is snapped, the Ref will warn that bands Head coach and if they don’t stop, they will get an unsportsmanship penalty, 15 yards. I was at either semifinal or final at AT&T a few years back. 5A or 6A schools. Quarterback of one school asked Ref to make band stop playing. He did and when team lined up again the large crowd started. He asked Ref for quite and Ref told him he could not quite crowd. I think he wished he had left the band alone. I’m not saying I was involved with crowd just that after a while my voice was gone.

I had this situation once in a game. The offense was lined up and out of nowhere this loud blast from a horn comes from the band. It was so loud that not only did the teams jump so did the officials. I did warn the coach and there was no further incident. He inquired about the written rule so that was sent to him. His team was in the playoffs, and they tried it again. This time they were flagged by another chapter. He had an official who worked at his school, and he went to complain to him. His response was, "you were warned, and you read the rule yourself. Why are you complaining when you had a fair amount of warning"? 99% of the time if the band is just playing some easy music, then there are no issues. It's when the band does some loud blasts, and you ask them what the title of that music was, and they have no answer. I like the response about the fans making noise. Sometimes you gotta be smart and find those loopholes in the rules. 😄

Back