What are some of the best district rivalries and traditions?

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
With district play starting for quite a few teams this weekend I thought I would open this up... Unfortunately with two divisions and constant realignments this isn't the same as it once was (I am thinking about Leman's Highland-Blackwell). I will start it off with Strawn-Gordon.

I don't know of ANY other rivalry except maybe Texas-OU where the parents of the football players get in a fist fight on the playing field after the game like they have at Strawn-Gordon games. I was at the game at Gordon in 1970 and it wasn't pretty. Some of those folks thought they were in Mingus, the fighting capital of north Texas!! Yes a legendary rivalry well known second to none. Strawn vs Gordon. Strawn had a great rivalry with the Carbon Wolverines too, those wolverines were mean and tough just ask some of those Gordon players. You didn't invite Carbon for the homecoming game!

Lefors and Miami
Obviously Strawn and Gordon
Whitharral Amherst

Back in the day:
McLean Miami
Valley Silverton
Meadow Ropes

Obviously missing a lot especially from the east

D2 District 16 might have the best tradition. 4 out of the 5 teams in the district have at least one state title.
Richland Springs, Panther Creek, Cherokee, and Lohn.
The Cherokee/Richland game has been lopsided in Richlands favor for a long time, but the game still gets pretty saucy every year.

Valley and Follett. They've had some battles. Maybe Valley and Happy too. I remember not too long ago that Happy was ranked 1, 45d valley in the regular season and then got 45d by valley in the postseason.

Thirtysix":26ug9f4f said:
The Cherokee/Richland game has been lopsided in Richlands favor for a long time, but the game still gets pretty saucy every year.

That's one of those that's been off and on with RS heading to 11-man at times. Here's a good link to those results on Shanon's site,

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=115&B=34&REC=19-28-0&S=

I also recall there's a quote in the old Jan 1979 Texas Monthly article entitled The Joy of Six about this as well.

Texlonghorn75":30en62kr said:
Pop Quiz for Granger, What school placed second in their district twice and still managed to win the State championship that season?

trick question, you cannot finish second place in your district twice in one season

;)

The one I think of immediately was Amherst 1994. Lost to Lazbuddie surprisingly in district. Then tied Meadow 12-12 in what I think what was called Area back then, advancing on penetrations. Kicked a field goal in the final seconds. Then beat Milford in the final in one of the coldest games I have ever experienced at Abilene Wylie. I got a hot chocolate and hot dog at the concession stand and they were both cold by the time I got to the field.

I think there may be one more

Rival Strawn lost to Gordon in both 2003 and 2008 to finish second in district then won the rest of the way to the State championship those years.

Even though it seems every year one team blows the other, there is always a lot of trash-talk between Ira and Hermleigh. In the more recent years the games have been far more competitive than in the past. This is probably due to the kids of these towns growing up in sports together in Snyder and playing against each other as soon as they can participate, being there is only 20 miles that separate them.

Back