west texas

The Balmorhea/ Ft.Davis area is one of my favorite areas...... the old fort, McDonald Observatory and the scenery are great. Then there's always the beer drinking goat in Terlingua.............. very educational.........

Those are two great places to visit. Better wait till the middle of the summer to go swimming at Balmorhea because that water is so darn cold. And I mean cold! Great people in those areas and a slow pace of life. A lot to do.

Don't know if it really counts as West Texas but it's on the way, but Garner State Park and the Frio River are fun places to take the family. Rent tubes and go down the river in July!

If you were going this summer, I'd say check out Palo Duro Canyon and Amarillo. That might be a bit frosty during spring break though.

I haven't been there myself, but they say Caprock Canyons State park outside of Quitique is neat too. The same applies for March weather though.

Hey, how can you mention Amarillo without taking in the Big Texan oh yeah now that's some eating. But the hotel is not what you think it is, go in the summer so you can take in the stage play (Texas) in the Palo Duro Canyon now that is worth the trip.
And you get to do a little spray painting if you go just outside of town a few caddies are sticking out of the ground .

West Texas is South of Andrews, west of the permian basin out to El Paso. Palo Duro is beautiful, but it is definitely not West Texas. Balmorhea state park, Davis Mountains, Hueco Tanks out by El Paso. All are beautiful places in West Texas.

smokeyjoe53":omij0yhz said:
Oh yeah I forgot one important thing......... you need to try the kolaches there also....................

You can fool all of the people some of the time...
Some of the people all of the time...
But West, Texas is Not in West Texas.

jc_30":fejqrf6y said:
West Texas is South of Andrews, west of the permian basin out to El Paso. Palo Duro is beautiful, but it is definitely not West Texas. Balmorhea state park, Davis Mountains, Hueco Tanks out by El Paso. All are beautiful places in West Texas.

Well, Palo Duro Is West of say, Dallas. And well worth seeing sometime. When your in the pan handle.
Don't miss Charles Goodnight's dugout. It would have been cool watching them lower wagons into the canyon by rope.

If you plan a trip to the Palo Duro canyon, make your plans for the summer months. The musical Texas is a near must for any trip through that area. (It is in the canyon close to the town of Canyon.)

There is a time of year(late spring maybe)that the flowers bloom in the Big Bend National Park. The lights at Marfa would make for an interesting side trip. They might also be seasonal.

I've always kinda wondered about those Marfa lights, would like to see them myself.
If they're seasonal though do they maybe just forget to pay the bill the other seasons?

I've seen the Marfa lights. I still think there's a bunch of drunk Cowboys out there with lanterns laughing their a$$es off about all the folks coming to see the show.

Back