weights for lifting

Coach Moose

11-man fan
We are a second year football program looking for weights for lifting. Through donations I have a aquired a squat and bench rack. I have very little money in my budget to purchase weights for the donated equipment. I was just wondering if anyone had any extra or old weights they don't use anymore. Also if someone can point or direct me towards somebody that has weights it would be greatly appreciated. My phone number is (254) 931-0087.

thanks,

Coach Moose
Dublin Premier

Actually,
most players/youth these days
have a bit of bodyweight
they need to get rid of.
You could ask them for their weights
or,
be smarter than a dumbell
and use bodyweight exercises
instead of expensive, traditional, less functional
weight room standing around talking about lifting instead of actually lifting techniques.

getthisripped.com
etc.

Coach Moose,

We have a bench press, and an incline press left that I need to get rid of. Both need new upholstery, but otherwise in good shape. Just make me an offer and they are yours.

We are going to subscribe to Dogface's theory that the weight room is a waste of space. I mean all that goes on in there is a bunch of standing around and talking about lifting weights. Can't be a Captain Insano workout DVD.....(the above post was made with tongue firmly in cheek).

Take your weight room
and put it to the test,
get out your little stopwatch
and let the timer do the rest.

Pick one kid at random,
without hounding him to keep moving,
run the stopwatch when he's actually lifting,
stop it when he
quits/rotates/rests/gets a drink/talks about girls etc. (whatever lame excuse you want to call it).
Look at how much time he actually spent working
in relationship to how long you were in your weightroom.

If you're satisfied that it's enough,
then be satisfied.
If not,
do something different.
If you're strapped for cash
to pay for that big fat playbook, er, ah, I mean, weightroom,
then (consider) doing something different.
Does size really matter?
That's all I'm sayin'.

Pick one kid at random,
stop it when he
quits/rotates/rests/gets a drink/talks about girls etc. (whatever lame excuse you want to call it).

It's called COACHING, if you allow those things to happen then you aren't worth your weight in salt. Let me ask you something, in your 1 year of coaching Junior High kids (you know the year where you gained all of this experience and perfected your coaching abilities to the point that you can pass judgement on EVERYONE in the sixman world) I guess you were able to get maximum effort out of your kids without having to "hound" them? Those kids were just so motivated that they didn't need any influence from you....remember I know the kids that you "coached" in that year very well.

Not that I need to explain how things in my program work, but I can get 20+ kids in and out of our weight room in 30 minutes. That is with 8 separate lifts x 3 sets. Not a lot of wasted time in there.

Coach Avants":118kgyy8 said:
Pick one kid at random,
stop it when he

It's called COACHING, if you allow those things to happen then you aren't worth your weight in salt. Let me ask you something, in your 1 year of coaching Junior High kids (you know the year where you gained all of this experience and perfected your coaching abilities to the point that you can pass judgement on EVERYONE in the sixman world) I guess you were able to get maximum effort out of your kids without having to "hound" them? Those kids were just so motivated that they didn't need any influence from you....remember I know the kids that you "coached" in that year very well.

Not that I need to explain how things in my program work, but I can get 20+ kids in and out of our weight room in 30 minutes. That is with 8 separate lifts x 3 sets. Not a lot of wasted time in there.
Like I said,
if it's working for you then Great!
No judgementalism there.
I don't think coaching ability is ever perfected.
Every year people try new things.
I'm still just saying
that a new program doesn't HAVE TO
go out and buy stuff when they could be successful with a different strategy.
My age fools a lot of people cuz I'm so good lookin'.
The coaching experience I have
has been gleaned from a lifetime of coaching.
Although, that one experience
at that one school was really a nightmare.
All I learned/saw there was how not to do things!

Dogface,

Are you really a coach? I agree with you on the fact that it is not "ALL" about throwing weight around but a team that does not lift weights and get stronger will get beat by the team that does. If weights were not important to success then the professional athletes would not be doing it. It is a proven fact that lifting weights makes you faster, jump higher and perform better for long periods of time. There are some things that can be added to a program that will improve some things but weights make the biggest difference.

Actually,
I don't think you guys are even trying to hear me.
I NEVER said don't lift weights.
I merely "proposed"
that a New Program
could be just as successful using bodyweight exercises,
rather than investing in a bunch of heavy duty equipment.
BW exercises are/were proven
long before Jack LaLane
came up with the vast majority of exercise equipment we have today.
Lifting weights and getting stronger are obviously 2 different things.
Some guys think that the only weights are made on iron? hence the discussion.

alumnihound":3k2vsnv5 said:
Dogface,

Are you really a coach? I agree with you on the fact that it is not "ALL" about throwing weight around but a team that does not lift weights and get stronger will get beat by the team that does. If weights were not important to success then the professional athletes would not be doing it. It is a proven fact that lifting weights makes you faster, jump higher and perform better for long periods of time. There are some things that can be added to a program that will improve some things but weights make the biggest difference.
If you're saying that strength and conditioning
makes the biggest difference,
then I'll Amen that!!

Isn't there more than one way to skin a cat?

I wonder which is better;
a medicine ball or a sandbag?
Well,
seeing as though I can make either one,
(but wait, I supposedly have only one year of so-called experience,
how on earth can I possibly make any exercise equipment?)
and don't have to buy a thing,
I don't care.

Dear Dogface,

Perhaps your kids waste so much time in the weight room not lifting weights because they learned this trait from you. You have posted as often on this thread as does a 13 yr old girl with her cell phone and text messaging. Get off the internet and onto the field, (or in the weight room at least)!

Bam!

Coach Moose":1bkffm15 said:
Dear Dogface,

Perhaps your kids waste so much time in the weight room not lifting weights because they learned this trait from you. You have posted as often on this thread as does a 13 yr old girl with her cell phone and text messaging. Get off the internet and onto the field, (or in the weight room at least)!

Bam!
Dear Moose,
You sure have a way with words.
So mentally stimulating with your
one insult per sentence ratio.
I should prolly yield to your superior intellect.

So, knock yourself out
(not literally because I'm not a needlessly violent guy)
with your iron weights.
Buy 2 of each.
Your 2nd yr. prog. may be rollin in the dough
for all I know.
Forgive me for trying to share an alternative thought.
Pearls before swine I guess.

(What is it with these animal names that makes these guys so dis-agreeably touchy?)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowboyP":36psxuim said:
This is getting fun!
Actually,
I prefer it when the dialogue
banters back & forth
a little longer,
perhaps even drivells a bit,

before they start insulting me because they can't maintain a logical and grown up discussion.

Rookies.

Dogface":1j3lfbid said:
CowboyP":1j3lfbid said:
This is getting fun!
Actually,
I prefer it when the dialogue
banters back & forth
a little longer,
perhaps even drivells a bit,

before they start insulting me because they can't maintain a logical and grown up discussion.

Rookies.
But you handle the insults so well!

You know what I thought the real kicker would be?
When I said my age was deceiving,
cuz I was still so good looking.
Hmmmmm... nary a word.
Just "You're a girl.
I'm broke and beggin for stuff but...
You're a girl"
Maybe he hit his head on the bar one too many times.
Another fine reason to put on a Jack LaLanne video.

Back