Week0 CC reviews

fajitapete

Six-man fan
I am surviving on the corny dog from the Alsup's in Jacksboro. Had to eat something, stomach was thinking my throat had been cut.

Tonight was the Paint Creek C-Stand review. Ok, it's week zero so we can overlook some of the stuff, the burgers were smelling good and the folks was a scarfing them down so I guess they were pretty good. But I use the C-stand standard, the gold standard, the Frito Pie.

Did I mention I had to grab a gut buster in Jacksboro on the way back to Big D? The Pirates Frito's were about as fresh as any I have ever had, these weren’t left over chips from last year! These were good, but it was down hill from there. First off no onion, no onions for the burgers either. Standard pickled Jalapeños, and unfortunately the dreaded nacho cheese goo, AKA petroleum based cheese sauce.

The chili, well my friend Ron says it reminded him of textured food protein, that scared me right off, I mean what the heck, how does he know what that stuff looks and feels like? I don’t want to know, don’t ask don’t tell, but what ever it was, it was in a Rotel looking sauce, but not the spicy kind, more like the bland kind.

The serving folks were real friendly. The profits on the stand are going to send some seniors some day off on a world adventure so feel free to tell em, “KEEP THE CHANGE”

But don’t order the Frito pie unless they make a few changes, stick with the burgers, they smelled great.
Pirates C-Stand week 0
Help – A
Menu – C
Prices - A
Frito Pie – so far this year they are the best, but compared to last years I would say B-

Tomorrow I trek to Jayton, last time I was there, no Frito Pie, I hope they have corrected that serious defect.

Just walked (more like crawled) in the house after attending the first 2 1/2 games at the Hico Classic.
Yes I admit I wimped out after the Throck - Valley game and opted for the comfort of AC. Hey, I'm old and soft, I know, I know.
Anyway to the important stuff: upon arrival immediately purchased a burger and Diet DP. Burger was well seasoned with Walt's Rub but a little on the cool side. Passable none the less. Midway through 2nd quarter of Throck-Valley, decided to try a Frito Pie. Guy at the stand nearly made me faint when he said no Fritos, nacho chips instead would that be alright? I was saved by the nice lady in the prep area who corrected the counter man and said they had plenty of Fritos. Served up a standard pie, PBCP, canned Chili and chips. Served hot but when I went to the condiment table, found no Jalapenos and the onion was sliced in rings instead of chopped. Understandable but dissapointing.
My compliments to the volunteers manning the concessions. They did a great job under extreme conditions. Do have a suggestion for next year: ICE CREAM!!!

Jaybird C-Stand

Saturday started out like any other trek across Texas in August, hot, the AC kept it bearable till I arrived in Jayton. The fifty yard walk from parking to the C-Stand made me realize the tempature was higher than I desired. They had pulled down all sides of the C-Stand except 1 in an effort to save the little AC the stand had.

Frito Chili pie wasn't on the menu :(

But they offered to put one togther since they had Fritos, Chili, onions, cheese (real), and jalepenos, the Pie was built! A mighty fine pie, eaten in the sun with tempatures above 103, (Bank sign).

It might not be on the menu but ask for it.
Jaybird C-Stand week 0
Help – A
Menu – C
Prices - A
Frito Pie - A- So far this year they are the best, Way better than last year.

Back