Week 3 - 2018 - Game of the Week

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Game of the Week – Week 3
Blum @ Iredell – Friday 7:30pm

DI Blum travels to DII Iredell this week for a game that will prove to be a test for both squads.

Iredell is highly ranked within their division and they have only played one game, defeating Lometa 48-0 in week one, as their game last week was cancelled due to weather. They return 1st team all-state running back Morgan Whitfield who rushed for 87 yards and a touchdown on just six carries in the Dragons week one win. Quarterback Colton Fowler is also a key part of their offense, he was a perfect 6-6-0 passing for 87 yards and a TD in that win over Lometa.

Blum on the other hand is coming in at 2-0 after defeating the powerhouse Jonesboro 48-6 last week. Blum has a solid team that is for sure. They played a tremendous defensive game last week against Jonesboro holding them to just six points. A big part of that was the Eagles fumbling the ball 11 times with Blum recovering seven of them! They are a very well conditioned team for it being this early in the season and that pays off big in the fast paced game six-man can be. Their week one game versus North Central Texas Academy help prove that as it was your classic high scoring, back and forth affair as the Bobcats won 70-62. RB Coltin Gonzales, QB Dylan Vardeman and RB Aaron Pinyan comprise a solid backfield that can and will move the ball down field. Blain Garza along with Gonzales are key contributors on the defensive side of the ball.

Keys to the Game:
The fundaments. Both teams will need to do the basics and limit their mistakes on both sides of the ball.

Iredell will need to run an efficient offense that controls the clock and scoreboard throughout the game putting pressure on Blum to keep up with limited time. Having a week off this early in the season doesn’t do much good for you when your team is 100% healthy so the Dragons can’t have any rust on their wheels coming into this game.

The same strategy would work for the Bobcats as well and they will surely need to win the turnover battle and be 100% on PAT tries in order to topple their second straight top 10 team and maybe most important is they need to corral Whitfield. If Iredell jumps up on them early they have to keep it in reach and weather the storm.

My Thoughts:
Tough game to get a read on as you try to answer the questions like: How good is Iredell? How good is Blum? How good is Jonesboro this season and how much stock should be put into Blum’s win over them? Which school has the best team overall player by player down the roster? Blum may have the best overall team and if so it will be a much better game than most expect. However, I can answer the question who has the best player on the field and that is Iredell with Morgan Whitfield. So with so many other questions surrounding these teams I will go with what I do know at this early point in the season and pick Iredell. Iredell 59 Blum 38

A LOT of good interesting games out there this week!
Milford v Oakwood and Garden City v Balmorhea are two marquee matchups...but I feel that Milford and Garden City are just on another tier and they should win comfortably.

Coolidge vs a solid Dallas Lutheran team is very interesting...give me Coolidge in a tight one

Fort Davis vs Sierra Blanca out west is a game I have an eye on!

and honestly I think maybe the biggest game after tonight that we are talking about is Knox City v Borden County...BC should be on upset alert and I wont be shocked if Knox City is 3-0 after tonight, but BC is BC so it will be a good game to go watch!

Back