Way Too Early TAPPS 2019 Predictions

UncleRico

11-man fan
Congratulations to Veritas, Bracken, and Baytown on winning the 2018 State Title, well deserved. It seems like there is a big hole to fill in a weaker D1 next year but D2 and D3 are going to be even tougher.

Here's my contenders for 2019:

D1:
1. Emory- They are also losing a lot of key seniors this year as well but have a solid young core and have many all state caliber players. Look for #22 to be a top 5 player in all of D1 next year on both sides of the ball with a solid run game and a stout defense.
2. Veritas- Obviously have to show love to the defending state champs, it'll be hard to replace some of their guys but they have an elite program with great coaching and scheme. Look for #2 to get back into the mix, was a shame that he was out for most of the year, he's a great talent.
3. Waco Vanguard- They have a lot of seniors next year and are always a respectable program with good scheme. #3 is an all state caliber receiver as well.
4. Dallas Lakehill- Put up a fight against some of the stronger teams in arguable the toughest district this year in district 1 plus #22 has a very high ceiling. This is my dark horse contender to go to Midway in 2019.
5. Austin Hill Country- This is my sleeper team to have a bounce back year, will have a lot of upperclassmen and showed flashes at times this season.

D2:
Bracken- Look for them to repeat as well next year behind a great offense that gives a lot of looks and a well schemed defense.
Alpha- They made a great run this year and they'll be reloaded and will return a lot of key guys next year as well.
Allen Academy- This is a dark horse contender for next year. Played tough and there has been a culture change compared to last season. Nobody gives this team a lot of love but they are returning all but one.
New Braunfels- They were a senior heavy team this year and it'll take a lot to replace the success they had this year but can't count out a good program like this one.

D3:
Baytown- Whenever I watch film on this team it's play after play of jaw dropping stuff. They're explosive and will have a lot of guys returning next year and it's Baytown so you know they'll get 5-8 stud transfers as well.
Weatherford- Don't know much about this team but they played solid all year and will probably do the same next year.
Faustina- Has the ability to get it done as well. Has a couple of key guys returning should be reloaded for a run at the chip.

What matchups would you like to see in the 2019 regular season between TAPPS opponents as well?

Great season indeed. Here is a take from the "north side" of the tracks:

I watched Weatherford Christian play all year. What I could glean from the input on this site and limited film watching, I didn't think WC stood much of a chance in the championship.
Baytown is a great team, with great athletes. Best team WC played this year....but not by that much. Irving Faustina was a close second, and they return most of their team next year, I do believe. What I learned from the championship game is that the North was vastly underestimated by most posting on this website. WC, without 3 turnovers in the second half (and losing their qb in the 4th), could easily have pulled it out. Ground-and-pound was otherwise not being stopped. I was also surprised at how effective WC's defense was (as 6 man football goes) against a very potent Baytown team. Well trained in stringing out Btown and guarding the reversal.
My fear is that the WC coach will be in demand after this showing...He called and excellent game and, minus the turnovers, could well have earned his first championship. His template from this game will likely be copied for next year.

Congrats to all the winners. Well done Baytown, and thanks to Weatherford Christian for putting on a heckuva game.

Nut":nl4ldg1h said:
Great season indeed. Here is a take from the "north side" of the tracks:

I watched Weatherford Christian play all year. What I could glean from the input on this site and limited film watching, I didn't think WC stood much of a chance in the championship.
Baytown is a great team, with great athletes. Best team WC played this year....but not by that much. Irving Faustina was a close second, and they return most of their team next year, I do believe. What I learned from the championship game is that the North was vastly underestimated by most posting on this website. WC, without 3 turnovers in the second half (and losing their qb in the 4th), could easily have pulled it out. Ground-and-pound was otherwise not being stopped. I was also surprised at how effective WC's defense was (as 6 man football goes) against a very potent Baytown team. Well trained in stringing out Btown and guarding the reversal.
My fear is that the WC coach will be in demand after this showing...He called and excellent game and, minus the turnovers, could well have earned his first championship. His template from this game will likely be copied for next year.

Congrats to all the winners. Well done Baytown, and thanks to Weatherford Christian for putting on a heckuva game.

The game played out the way it did and we can't deny that weather played a part in it.

Having watched all BCA games I will say that's the most they've run the ball all season. Smart on the coaching staff to not try to air it out every play like they normally do. Probably was tempting when you have a QB that has thrown for over 2500 yards, 40+ touchdowns and zero Interceptions on the season.

It was a fun grind it out game and neither of those two teams have anything to hang their heads about.

What I'm looking forward to now is watching some great competition make a trip to Baytown to face a game BCA program. We have some good food down here, nice folks, and good football.

The North was completely underestimated. I agree the weather played a huge part and believe Baytown is lucky they didn’t have perfect conditions or I fear they would have met their defeat. WC maintained discipline and were coached very well. Baytown was coming undone with blocks in the back and some unnecessary tactics as these kids haven’t felt some pressure they hadn’t in a long time. I hope the QB makes a quick recovery and will be looking forward to keeping a more informed opinion of this team than what’s been posted here. Hats off to WC and their coach.

The "penalties" of the first half was 130 yards against Baytown to 0 yards against Weatherford, and Baytown was still up 30-28.
By the end of the game there was one penalty against Weatherford. A near perfect game in that category.
Your argument on penalties plays more to how Baytown repeatedly overcame adversity.

I agree Dirty Bay. Baytown overcame all those penalties and still came out on top. As far as the weather goes I believe that if the weather would have been “perfect” as was stated earlier Baytown would have ran away with this one. I have seen them play this year and when they mix their passing and running game they are just about unstoppable! # 22 was definatly a workhorse for Weatherford but Baytown did as they did all year and made the adjustments on defense to slow Weatherford attack down. Great game by both teams though!

Both teams have great athletes, and gave each other a run for their money. As far as penalties goes, and those that weren’t called, this was a State Championship game not a season opener. Penalties like that shouldn’t happen, especially for a team that has been labeled untouchable or perfect. WC coaches seems to coach to play the game right, and apparently the coach has a zero tolerance rule for it too and is known to pull anyone, even 22 and 7 our if they can’t get it together. He definitely has his teams respect. Sure Baytown was ahead at the half, but tell me what other game has been this close or given Baytown that much trouble. I think you’re giving Baytown too much credit. Other than a mercy rule game, when has Baytown scoresd so little had this many points scored against them. From what I can see WC has had all their Jr and Sr since the beginning with the exception of a few kids who are not key players. The whole point being that this game was labeled as a blow out for some time when we saw it predicted to go this way. I think it’s time to at least acknowledge that and admit you were wrong.

I believe this was the closest game Baytown has played. That being said, Weatherford did not see the Baytown air attack. I guess it was the weather but Baytown approached this game different. My opinion it would have been the blow out everyone was expecting if they would have unleashed their passing attack.

We can do all these “What ifs?” all day long. Fact is we saw two very good squads play and it was a good game. Very impressive season for both squads. Congrats!!

Ok so from what I have seen of baytown this year they definitely had a different game plan going into this game. I assume the weather played a huge role in that. It was more misting rain the entire game and steady rain early 3rd. Baytowns qb as stated above has thrown for almost 2000 yards and 40 tds with not one interception. That stat is something to take a serious look at. Compare that to weatherford rb with 40 and there is your storyline. Baytown couldn’t throw the ball because of the weather however they showed a different side and battled weatherford at their own game. When you throw the ball as much as teams like baytown, cedar park, veritas you slow the game down. That more then likely played into weatherfords game plan. I kept hearing the announcer say baytowns size but weatherford was obviously the bigger team up front however baytown was more physical which led to many of those flags as well as to wearing down weatherford. Number 7 and 55 for weatherford were the biggest kids on the field. I saw baytown play veritas and Greenville. The Greenville game was a slaughter and the veritas game seem to be more of baytowns style. At the end of the day i think weatherford gained the respect they wanted. No doubt a big physical running team but baytown beat them at their own game. Hats off to both teams.

The veritas vs Gainseville game was a better game to me. I think veritas had the same game plan as baytown going in. Veritas has one of the best qb’s in the state however they chose to run the ball more than usual. One thing they did well was take points off turnovers. They were inside the 15 after a turnover and decided to kick a field goal,and take the 4. Gainesville had a hard time holding onto the ball the second half which ultimately led to their defeat. Not sure which player return for gainesville but they had a great mixture of speed and size with some seriously physical players. I’m sure that caught the veritas players attention.

Next year seems to be wide open (at least) in D-1. Veritas and Dallas Lutheran are losing a huge portion of their starters that led them to their respective championships. Vangaurd is losing some great seniors as is Katy Faith West. Does anyone know what team out there has a big group of juniors coming back next year in D-1?

Emery will always produce very competitive teams. If I am not mistaken they had a freshman that did alot of work in the backfield for them and that boy was quick!
Being that Veritas and Lutheran will be losing talent I would look for teams like Gainesville and Giddings to be serious contenders for next years state run.

Baytown "Goose Creek" Christian will continue to win as long as they are allowed to recruit from local 5A schools. Wouldn't your program be better if you "inherited" 6 very good athletes/players from the local big public school? I don't care what you say, it's not fair and it's not what TAPPS is supposed to be about.

pup":ep503z6m said:
Baytown "Goose Creek" Christian will continue to win as long as they are allowed to recruit from local 5A schools. Wouldn't your program be better if you "inherited" 6 very good athletes/players from the local big public school? I don't care what you say, it's not fair and it's not what TAPPS is supposed to be about.

As a parent I want my kids to play in a quality program and just becuase someone moves over from a 5A or 6A or whatever program for whatever reason to a quality program that has a reputation of winning titles does not mean they are being recruited. Frankly when I hear comments like this school or that school is recruiting it is based on jealousy and nothing else. Trust me I wanted to kick Baytown's ass in the worse way, simply for the fact you always want to beat a powerhouse.

-War Eagle

PS. Is the 2019 season here yet lol.

pup":1zax93pz said:

I keep saying I won’t post out of respect for The school I coach at but I just can’t let you all keep doing this to these kids....

The public school education at these 5a and 6a schools are pretty bad... I left Duncanville High school and transferred to Duncanville Christway because at Duncanville the education is probably the worst in the state of Texas. I heard the same stuff, saying Christway recruited us for sports and all of that non sense. I’m sure it’s the same way down in the Houston area... going to a private school gives these young men an opportunity to get a better education and helps set them up for life... at the end of the day it doesn’t matter who wins a football game or who wins a state title, I’m pretty sure the parents from Baytown put those boys over there so that they can get a better education because a private school education is waaaay better than a public education!!

It’s just sad that grown people can come on this website and go after these kids for winning a game that doesn’t determine who you will be later in life.... the goal as coaches is for us to mentor these young men and make sure they get to college and get those degrees because at the end of the day that is what it is all about!! Baytown has some very great coaches, wonderful parents, nice respectful young men.. can tell they’ve been raised the right way. And also, transferring to a private school prepared me way more for college and that’s why I was able to have a masters degree in my hands before the age of 25.

Keep doing great things down in Baytown, to all the coaches, parents, players and administrators at Baytown

Coach Davis from Dallas Lutheran has yall back.

God bless,
Coach Vincent J. Davis, MS
Dallas Lutheran

Y'all are missing the point. It's not about quality of education or why public schools are "the worst in Texas." It's completely about a small school, nearly the smallest of the small, getting 6 quality athletes from a 5A public school. It's totally about a coach using his relationship with peewee athletes and Goose Creek Memorial High School to entice players over to his school. Baytown has essentially created an elite team.

Yes, I understand public school kids transfer to TAPPS schools every year, for a multitude of reasons, it happens all the time. One, maybe two kids a year at these small sixman schools. But Baytown didn't just inherit average kids mind you, not six band nerds, not six golf players, they got six really good football players. I can't believe I'm the only one that sees an issue developing here. You'd be hard pressed to look back in TAPPS sixman football history and find ANY school that received six transfers.

It says right in the TAPPS constitution- "The Purpose of TAPPS is and shall be to organize, to stimulate, to encourage and to promote the academic, athletic and fine arts programs in an effort to foster a spirit of fair play, good fellowship, true sportsmanship and wholesome competition for boys and girls."

In my opinion, not fair play, not true sportsmanship, not wholesome, and certainly not good fellowship.

Pup, RJ Washington 1st team all state. 40 tds 0iints this season, was a junior on the 7-4 Baytown team in 2017 that lost in the semi finals.. #10 last name Luke also apart of the 7-4 .. 2017 team.. he was also first team all state .. #1 the running back was a sophomore on the 7-4 Baytown team.. also all state as a junior this year.. no one says anything until you start dominating.. same for the Gainesville lone star north.. no one had a problem with them when coach burns and his team was getting smacked in 11 man last season but all of a sudden they come to 6man have a little success and everyone has a problem... at the end of the day... leave these kids alone... as I stated.. the goal as coaches is to continue developing young men of character, help leading them down gods path and just to let them go out there and have fun.. and also what is really the goal for Tapps?? Sure wasn’t promoted that way when they treated me and my Duncanville Christway family like we were nothing back in 2009!!

God bless,

Coach Davis
Dallas Lutheran

This thread was good talking about 2019. But, it took a turn to why such and such school won because of transfers. Transfers happen. All the rules are laid out what TAPPS schools can and can't do in terms of solicitation of students here: https://tapps.biz/solicitation-of-students/. As long as any school stays within those guidelines they are in good standing with TAPPS. Who is going to turn down any student-athlete that wants to come to their school that's going to make a difference in any sports. Most of the time multiple sports.

Back