Way too early discussion on D2 rankings

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Unlike D1, D2 has Balmorhea that is moving down from D1. Obviously they will make an immediate impact. But from there, the only other schools to join from D1 were: Klondike, Chillicothe, Hart, Miami and Sands.

Those coming from the independent rank (and placed in UIL districts for now) are:
Dime Box, Wildorado and Olfen... each which do not figure to be prominent in their first years.

Those placed in D2 with zero playing experience last year would include:
Abilene Texas Leadership Charter, Darrouzett, Dawson, Dell City, Valentine, Harrold, Paint Creek, Lohn

I am not even sure which of these will really even play.

So, with all of that in mind, let me know your top-5... and do not let this devolve into a discussion of the RS situation (warning: I will delete all comments that go off the deep end) and who will return. You can simply consider them as two separate teams: RS with Rigdons and RS without....

Well Valentine aint playing so that's an easy ranking (last)

The top 3 are easy IMO: In no particular order....Calvert, Richland Springs, Motley County...

Blackwell, Jayton, Balmorhea, Grandfalls are all top 10 caliber teams all about the same IMO

There's 7 for ya...got to look at and think Strawn is in the mix possibly Gordon...

Let's break this down by region. What are the two best teams in each? In no order...

1. Follett?, ???
2. Balmorhea, Blackwell, Motley Co
3. Strawn, Gordon
4. Calvert, RS

Who is missing or out of place?

1. GROOM
2. MOTLEY CO, Blackwell, Jayton, Balmorhea, Grandfalls
3. STRAWN, Gordon
4. RICHLAND SP, CALVERT

I think those are the top 10 teams, just debat the order (Calvert, RS, MC are the top 3)

This is totally a gut instinct pick, but have Burkhart and Vances Jones ever matched up in the playoffs? I don't remember it off the top of my head if so.

Final 4:
Balmorhea over Motley County
Richland Springs over Calvert

DII State Game: Balmorhea 64, Richland Springs 56

TebowTime15":3eq1ge4s said:
This is totally a gut instinct pick, but have Burkhart and Vances Jones ever matched up

Your gut instinct is probably going off of all of the other times that they have played each other. Wait! No, it must just be indigestion!

TebowTime15":6rg2tx7t said:
This is totally a gut instinct pick, but have Burkhart and Vances Jones ever matched up in the playoffs? I don't remember it off the top of my head if so.

Final 4:
Balmorhea over Motley County
Richland Springs over Calvert

Tebow, yes they matched up the year Balmorhea made it to state against Richland Springs in I belive it was 2016. Also, Motley and Balmorhea can't play in the semis, they are in the same region, they would have to meet up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I can accept being wrong, but my gut tells me Vance Jones wins the state title and pulls a John Elwsy.

Do not think that Dime Bow will need a lengthy adjustment period in order to make an impact in our noble game. I saw their athletes in a playoff basketball game and they look like Calvert minus the height.
I saw two Travis Walkers on the floor. If they get a genuine six-man coach, they will be an immediate playoff team. In the words of an infamous Calif. politician: "Take it to the bank". :)

Johnny South":24l8wxwm said:
D2 West - Balmorhea, Groom, Motley County, Jayton, Blackwell.

D2 East - RS, Gordon, Calvert, Rochelle, Strawn.

Way back in February when I made that pick, Rochelle was in a position to make a good showing in the playoffs. Since then I understand that their stud transfers have gone back home, and their other good players have quit. This week Rochelle meets up with the Coyotes of RS. If the original Hornet team was still intact, they could expect to only lose by about 45. But with the current Hornet team, the Coyotes can win by as many points as they want. More than likely the RS backups will play the majority of the time.

Rochelle won't get out of district this season.
I doubt that the Cherry brothers will stick around there for another year.

Back