Volleyball

smalltown

Six-man fan
I'm curious how many 6 man schools have volleyball? Do they have trouble finding teams to play that are small schools? Does it hurt the basketball program?

Savoy plays both and I really think it is whether you have the athletes or not. My daughter played everything and did just fine. They were competitive and made playoffs in volleyball. We played schools that didn't play VB and were competitive with them in basketball. We had a group of girls that went to Regional tournament in both while they were in high school, so I think it is more if you have the horses or not. I am hoping that the UIL will change the volleyball, softball, baseball alignments next time.

Klondike was pretty competitive in VB this year in which I believe was there first year full year of VB. Then the basketball team turned around and made a nice run in the basketball playoffs. It really comes down to the athletes you have and number of athletes. There are not many schools who are successful in both sports at the same time. I've seen hurt basketball programs and I've seen actually help.

I could see vb hurting a program like nazareth where kids are in the gym all the time. I could also see vb helping when kids aren't in the gym all the time. Athleticism would greatly help.

Back