Underrated? after two weeks

According to their website, DC's 7-12 enrollment for last year was 177. That's an average of 29.5 per class, or 118 for 9-12, IF all of the classes are the same size. But if the JH is already playing crowded field, then the average is probably a little higher in the lower grades.

Add a handfull and you are there. One third of the total is 9th grade.

ryry":1fv7tpg1 said:
CowboyP":1fv7tpg1 said:
Throckmorton by 8
I see your 8 and raise you 8
Throck by 16

Anyone have the end of quarter scores for last years Throck/DC game? I didn't see the game nor have I seen any stats from the game but gut tells me it shouldn't have been as close as the final score showed!! Throck was a MACHINE last year and DC may have been able to hold their own but I feel Coach Reed pulled the reins back and let the 2's and 3's get some snaps against a decent DC team. I feel the same holds true for many of Throcks opponents last year. Sure would like to see some film of this game.

Throckmorton lost some amazing talent to graduation but like always they seem to fill the voids with another stud each year.

Throck wins it!!!

I would not even try to call this one, they figure it out on the field, but after seeing Throck against Gordon, and listening to DC against Gordon, I imagine it will be a slobber knocker!

Blue Bird":29hoaigx said:
Last year at Hico I asked a Dallas Covenant fan about high school enrollment and was told about 150. This year at Hico I asked the same question and was told about 160. I have wondered what the private schools use for cutoff numbers. This does not sound like an even playing field for public vs private games.

Mike Reed does not pull off this year. Throckmorton will win by about 30.

Birdy, among the least correct sources of accurate enrollment information of a private school is a parent at a sporting event. They always guess high. It's kinda like buying a business ... the seller will tell you he does $2 million, but when you check his tax return, he's only reporting $1 million. I tend to believe the document with a line of "I promise that this number is right."

TAPPS does have a 6-man higher enrollment number than UIL (although TAPPS uses boys enrollment only, since they do not permit girls to play football). Private school enrollment tends to fluctuate more than public schools, so TAPPS has decided in the past couple alignment cycles to be a little more flexible at the top end so that schools aren't ping-ponging from 6 to 11 man back to 6 man. This isn't done just so we can beat up on the public schools ... most of our six-man schools are in communities which have much larger public schools. You would expect the better football players to be in a larger 11 man school unless the parents or child have another overwhelming reason to enroll them in private school, and you may have more kids who are less inclined to be involved in athletics than a public school of similar size.

For 2012-2014, schools with a boys enrollment of 77 boys were eligible to compete in 6 man football districts (I think there was one school near that 77 number, and that school graduated a class of 30 boys in spring of 2012 with a freshman class of 8 boys enrolled in the fall of 2012 -- and that school wasn't Covenant; I would expect there were a few schools with boys enrollment in the 60s.) Again, Dallas Covenant reported a fall 2012 enrollment of 90, my guess is it wasn't 89 boys and one cheerleader. Schools like Dallas Covenant and Boerne Geneva, who are in the midst of early growth, are always going have a current enrollment number ahead of their their alignment, because their alignment is based on enrollment numbers which are now as old as three years back.

UIL actually has some flexibility in determining 6 vs 11 man numbers. Not only have they jumped the cut-off up five students to 104.9 this time around, I think the public schools have several different measuring sticks they can use to determine their number and they can use the one that is best for their purposes. If UIL used the ADA measurement grades 9-12 on a certain day in October only for six-man football, you'd see schools flop back and forth as well. There's more than one way to skin this cat; UIL does it one way, TAPPS does it another way. Not sure how TCAF does it, but T-CAL does it by anticipated team size (especially since they deal with many home school groups). When you see a private school bringing 20 buses and a 100 piece marching band to your game, then you can pretty well figure you've been sandbagged.

The TAPPS office staff is currently putting together its enrollment numbers for the 2014-2016 alignment cycle. What they will do is take each school's grade 9-12 enrollment numbers from September 2012, January 2013 and September 2013. The latter number will be doubled and the three numbers added together. That number will be divided by 4 to get the average enrollment and alignments will be determined from that number. I'm not on the inside for this process, but I expect that the 77 cutoff number will change (it probably will be determined by the cutoff number for Division III 11 man football, basically to allow the smallest 11 man schools the option of 6 man if enrollment drops; and folks, there have been at least four schools that played or were aligned into Div. III 11 man that are playing 6 man football at this time -- Dallas Lakehill, Richardson Canyon Creek, Carrollton Christian and Giddings State School).

As for Saturday's game, I gotta think Covenant is the favorite. But it's gonna go 40 minutes... or more (OT?) and I would not be surprised to see Throckmorton take the win, either. I think last year's contest was either 90-80 or 80-70. Ten points, I believe, was the difference.

Other than being bigger, faster and stronger than last years team that beat Throck and Valley, they are about the same....I saw these guys in HICO and they had a pretty good Gordon team hanging their heads in the 2nd quarter. I don't think Covenant even had a turnover. They scored (easily) every time they touched the ball. They are LOADED....with an exceptionally strong bench. I saw at least 7 different running backs in the Gordon game and every one of them can get the job done.....I am driving over to the Throck game for sure. If you are a 6-man fan, you don't want to miss this one. Throck will field their usual outstanding team with revenge in their hearts....This is going to be a good one.

6 Man Rules":15xrociu said:
Again, Dallas Covenant reported a fall 2012 enrollment of 90, my guess is it wasn't 89 boys and one cheerleader.

Boys this year are around 54% of enrollment.

But with 89 boys and a cheerleader, there's no question who the homecoming queen would be, right?

Thanks for the information.

WildcatClassOf89":sxenfyj5 said:
ryry":sxenfyj5 said:
CowboyP":sxenfyj5 said:
Throckmorton by 8
Throck by 16

Anyone have the end of quarter scores for last years Throck/DC game? I didn't see the game nor have I seen any stats from the game but gut tells me it shouldn't have been as close as the final score showed!! Throck was a MACHINE last year and DC may have been able to hold their own but I feel Coach Reed pulled the reins back and let the 2's and 3's get some snaps against a decent DC team. I feel the same holds true for many of Throcks opponents last year. Sure would like to see some film of this game.

Throckmorton lost some amazing talent to graduation but like always they seem to fill the voids with another stud each year.

Throck wins it!!!

WildCat- Covenant WON the game last year. And I have the film if you have a hudl account. They are even better this year.. I think Covenant but it will be close. Throck is out for revenge.

Maybe I'm still smarting from last year's playoff game in Early but I'm not picking against T-Rock again until I have to. I say the Big T by 24. Yeah, it's a bunch but I was suitably impressed by the Greyhounds to go that far out on a limb.

This might make some of you feel better if its true. I had the opportunity to speak with a young man that is on the DC team this summer. He told me that this is the last year that they (DC) will be dominant. He said that all the major players are seniors, and he would be surprised if they even won a district game next year. Once again I don't know how much truth there is to that.

1987":16anne6m said:
This might make some of you feel better if its true. I had the opportunity to speak with a young man that is on the DC team this summer. He told me that this is the last year that they (DC) will be dominant. He said that all the major players are seniors, and he would be surprised if they even won a district game next year. Once again I don't know how much truth there is to that.

He was probably just trying to make you feel better. LOL

They did have 11 seniors on the roster in the program at Hico. However, Shane is correct. They will be winning plenty of district games.

WildcatClassOf89":1z5uir6v said:
ryry":1z5uir6v said:
CowboyP":1z5uir6v said:
Throckmorton by 8
Throck by 16

Throck wins it!!!

I dug around and found the scores by quarter.

Dallas Covenant 20 8 20 32—80

Throckmorton 24 22 14 16—76

I stand behind my thoughts above. Minutes played per athlete would tell it all.

Best of luck to both teams!!

A pick 6 by DC with just over 3 minutes left, and another pick taken all the way back to the 10 with just under 2 minutes left led to the score that made it 68-72 DC. Throck scored with under a minute left to make it 76-72. DC scored with about 10 seconds left to make it 76-80. I'm pretty sure none of the 2s and 3s were in the game during the last 5 minutes of the game. Lots of costly penalties by Throck though, including a roughing the passer on the last drive. If this year's game is close to as good as last year's, I would value the DC/Throck ticket at quite a bit more than whatever they sell them for at UT or Jerryworld.

6 Man Rules":3mv1539c said:
According to their website, DC's 7-12 enrollment for last year was 177. That's an average of 29.5 per class, or 118 for 9-12, IF all of the classes are the same size. But if the JH is already playing crowded field, then the average is probably a little higher in the lower grades.

Add a handfull and you are there. One third of the total is 9th grade.

According to the TAPPS membership directory online, enrollment (9-12) for Covenant is listed at 119. Not sure if that is the Fall 2013 number, but I notice other information for other schools (new staff, etc.) is updated. Fits around what we've discussed on this board.

So 54% of 118 is 15.93 boys per class total 63.72 boys of which more than 45 play varsity football, very very few hall walkers in that school!
Has TAPPS ever audited any school?
In another thread I picked Throck I think I will go with the numbers game and pick DC by 4

football jersey":2snux504 said:
So 54% of 118 is 15.93 boys per class total 63.72 boys of which more than 45 play varsity football, very very few hall walkers in that school!
Has TAPPS ever audited any school?
In another thread I picked Throck I think I will go with the numbers game and pick DC by 4

Jersey, you did a pretty decent job of picking margins last week, but the quote that "more than 45 play varsity football" is one I have to challenge.

I saw Dallas Covenant play two playoff games last year, and at no time did they have 45 kids wearing jerseys. Usually, many schools with JV teams put every kid in a jersey for playoffs if nothing more than (1) the younger kids get to go to the playoff games and (2) having a lot of bodies (especially when your opponent doesn't on your sidelines is mildly intimidating.

I wouldn't be suprised if they have in excess of 40 boys on JV and varsity. Winning programs tend to increase turnout. Seems folks like to hang around winners. Fancy that.

Back