Two Sport Athletes

CoachBurger

11-man fan
Does anybody have any pointers on how to get more athletes to play two sports? for instance, my school's basketball program is pretty big. football isnt there yet. so how do i get the basketball athletes to come out for football? most are concerned with the overlapping seasons... I have tried telling them that no football activities will be required of them on basketball game days. anyway, what do yall do? any good tips?

Thanks,

Coach Burger
NBCA

First, this is something that has to be dealt with at the AD and administration level of your schools.

If you're playing six-man football, you're doing it because of low numbers.

If you had big numbers, you'd be playing 11 man football, maybe cross country in the fall, basketball and soccer in the winter, baseball, track, golf, tennis and maybe even power lifting in the spring and you'd have enough bodies for each of them.

You have to look at your athletics as a program, not an individual sport. My old line was that we had only one team at our school ... the sport only changes.

Let's face it. Most of our kids aren't going to be sought after for D-1 scholarships in most sports (although, Coach, I remember one of your school's basketball coaches convincing a young man to transfer from my school to yours several years ago and promising him that the kid would get a basketball scholarship to Duke University...seems I missed that article in the paper about the kid's scholarship). Even D-2 or D-3 college teams are difficult to make at the small school level. I've seen "all-state" small private school players struggle to be the last kid on the bench in college sports. Yes, some have done well, but it's the exception to the rule.

This malarkey about "I'm saving myself for basketball (or baseball, I've heard that one the other day from another school) is some kid and his daddy overestimating the kid's value to the game. And maybe some roundball coach who thinks Coach K would be calling him for advice if Coach K had his phone number on speed-dial.

First, you should not start your basketball season until football season ends. That means, if the last football game (week 10) is Nov. 1, start buckets practice on Nov. 2. I never scheduled basketball games until Thanksgiving week and I told schools I scheduled that games those first couple weeks were dependent on the football team not playing. Coach is gonna scream bloody murder, but that's why you have an Athletic Director to provide direction to your program. (And hey, this plays all ways. If basketball season starts to infringe on spring sports due to playoffs, then those sports just have to wait.)

I expected kids to play football in the fall and basketball in the spring; girls were expected to do volleyball and basketball. Sadly, in the six or seven years since I left as Athletic Director, that rule has been pretty well tossed out the door.

But I'll tell you a story from our second year of football. We had two guys (a senior and a freshman) who were "saving themselves for basketball." We had 8 guys out for football, and there were four boys not playing football (including those two).

I pointed out to each of those two young men that yes, we can play six-man football with eight guys. But if those eight guys had the same opinion about basketball, then there are only four to start playing five-man basketball ... the two of you, another young man who would play basketball (but had medical issues that prevented him from being cleared for football), and a young man who was, shall we say, the music nerd who was never going to play any sport. Under the rules, I can't start a five-man basketball game with four players.

There are guys who are going to help you with your sport -- maybe in this case, it's basketball -- if you help them with their sport -- football. And those are the true lessons of participating in sport at this level ... building friendships, working together towards a goal. You know, like the NCAA ad, most of our athletes are going pro in something other than sports.

By the end of the week, I am proud to report, we had a roster of 10 for football.

The big problem is: the basketball coach is our AD. (i dont know anything about that mularky about Duke scholarships) Im a football guy and i need football players. right now our numbers are at 7. The AD is obviously going to emphasize basketball, and our basketball practices start october 14th, a month before football ends( not counting playoffs). all the basketball kids are worried about missing games, and i told them they wont miss a basketball game for a football practice. And so far.. we may have one bball guy come.

Well, if your AD is favoring one sport over the other a couple things:

1. He shouldn't be AD, especially at a small school. He's not the "Basketball Director," he's "Athletic Director." And as such, his job is to build an athletic program.

2. I wouldn't coach there. Any sport, even the "favored sport."

Oh, and the doofus who sold the daddy on the Duke scholarship is long since gone. If my school administration would have let me at the time, I would have gone after your school for breaking the TAPPS rules on tampering. Some day, over a cold ice tea, I'll tell you the whole story.

Sounds good to me. I guess im just trying to figure out a way to get these kids where they belong (living in Texas).. on the football field. it suprises me that noone else has this problem. The AD has no problem with basketball players playing football, he just doesnt really help out. he says "i'll talk to the kid" and then he tells the kid "im fine with it but you'll miss 7 or 8 bball games." That's less than helpful. I tell them they wont miss any games for football practice.. only if games fall on the same day. still awaiting results.

They shouldn't miss ANY basketball games because of football, cause there shouldn't BE any basketball games till football is over!!!!!

OrangeCCS":23rcny3o said:
No conflict at Orange Community Christian with this. Head Football Coach is Head Basketball Coach also.

A perfect solution to the problem!

By the way, OCCS not only made the semi-finals in football, they went a heck of a lot farther than we did in basketball. They've made at least a couple trips to the TAPPS state tournament.

A couple years ago, we made the mistake of letting the basketball coach start practice early. We had several kids that didn't want to play football, enough to probably dress out around 8 players (not counting football players). The coach decided that the football players (who would join the team after football, and I think we went to the semi-finals that year) would have to "beat out" the then current basketball players, most of which really weren't interested in the conditioning needed to play football.

When football season ended, we had a couple weeks of basically a basketball team "fighting" among itself. Suffice to say, basketball wasn't that successful that year. I think we made the playoffs, since the better players were the football players (heck, they'd been running and "in condition" since summer) but not very far.

Back