Trojans, Wildcats and..... the Mules of course

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
OK, so Calvert and Grady will be heading to Austin... awesome.

Of course I have to give a shout out to my alma mater, the Alamo Heights Mules, who are going for the first time since 1991.... for those who don't remember, 1991 was the year the Alamo Heights and Pampa had that ridiculous triple overtime game. The Mules hit a couple of miracle shots (Glen Winship hit a three with one arm in a cast, that I believe was his only 3 of the season) to extend the game in OT and pulled it out. In the final against Port Arthur Lincoln, they had nothing left in the tank. The little kid across the street was the 6-9 stud in the middle, Crain Canavan... and my own little sister was Caledonia (the mascot)...

If you see a dorky guy wearing AH and Texas Tennis gear this week when you are in town, yell at me.... or stop by the courts... yes, those between the Frank Erwin Center and Scholtz...

They are going to honor ole Bearkat at half at state tourney. His team won state in early, early years and is being honored. OBK was one post, Bowie was the other, Crockett was a forward, Travis was point guard and Seguin was shooting guard. They beat Mexico Tech in overtime for the title.

Guess I may make the semis -- the HC at San Antonio Warren lives in Seguin and is one of the elders of our church; his kids go to Lifegate School. They play in the 5A's at 3:30 Friday and he's giving me tickets. Granger, could you save me a parking place over at the tennis grounds?

High Plains Drifter":347z5ssc said:
Granger will probably run over and pick you up, then carry you to game and then take you home. Ha Plus buy your meals and refreshments.

That'd be awfully nice of him. But you know, last time we had lunch he offered to pick up the tab, but he'd already done that the time before we had lunch.

Good luck finding parking. It was a zoo last week and it was no where near as full...

My dilemma... we have matches where I have to be at the tennis center. One at 2 PM and one at 6... With a 7:30 tipoff for the Mules, I could just see me skipping away and then finding out the power went out at tennis.... just have to hope for Saturday, but then again, Dallas Kimball may have something to say about that

Another crazy fact: Coach Andrew Brewer took over for my coach Charlie Boggus (who also mentored CoachA) this year. Andrew's little sister (Katie) was my teaching assistant when I was at the middle school back in the late 90's.

Granger ... the old AH coach didn't do too badly in his retirement job at Antonian. Went to state, losing in the 5A semis to Plano John Paul II.

As for Alamo Heights, there's a little controversy in town. Seems some Alamo Heights fans yelled "USA, USA" after their win against SA Edison, a predominatly-Hispanic SAISD school (located about 4 miles away from Alamo Heights, by the way). There was at least one TV report I saw and today's SA Express News has a metro story that SAISD has filed a complaint with UIL about the chant (last year, Cedar Park kids yelled USA, USA, Arizona, Arizona throughout their playoff game with another SAISD school).

AH has prohibited the students (which included some Hispanic kids) from attending the state games and apologized. Kinda a dumb action by the kids (gee, that's never happened before), but part of me really is concerned that chanting "USA, USA" is considered an ethnic slur.

There is a much larger article in the sports section that talks about the AH team and spotlights its key players.

Doesn't seem to reach the level of journalistic outrage that was directed at TAPPS when the Jewish school, Houston Beren, decided to renege on their agreement concerning tournament schedules, though.

Well, as Paul Harvey used to say, then there's the rest of the story.

In some of the radio reports today about SAISD's complaint to UIL, it's now being reported that the Edison kids were chanting "Alamo Whites" after the game. In reply, the AH kids chanted "USA, USA."

Funny how that part never gets reported ........

Cripes, I remember growing up our home town HS had a rivalry with the next town ... we called them "Skunk Hollow" and they called us "Carp Town." The teachers would at least try to keep folks from coming into the gym with skunk or carp posters on signs.

Maybe we need to just do that polite clapping like they do at Wimbledon.

What if the 6man schools always chanted
"Commie-Pinkos"
when we went to play the non-football schools?

Now wouldn't that be a hoot?!?!

Back