Tripping-legal??

RRCAsports

11-man fan
A5 runs sweep right to opponents sideline and breaks away from everyone. D24 is not giving up on the play and runs after A5. At about the 20ydline, D24 only play on A5 is to trip him so he does not score TD. is this legal?

If he's "running after" the ball carrier how's he going to trip him? Run past him without bothering or trying to tackle him further back up the field then sticking his foot out?
Isn't tripping a personal foul? 15 yards. At the 20 half the distance to the goal. Yes, no td, but another personal foul and your out of the game. I think, but I'm not a ref.

51eleven":y28n6r62 said:
Yes, no td, but another personal foul and your out of the game. I think, but I'm not a ref.

A player doesn't get ejected after two personal fouls. He gets ejected after two unsportsmanlike conducts.

Tripping is illegal. A couple years ago you were allowed to Trip the ball carrier but that has been removed and it is now illegal to even trip the ball carrier.

It’s important to note here that the term “tripping” is defined as using the foot or lower leg to obstruct an opponent below the knee. It sounds like that’s probably not what happened here. Based on the description I would guess the player used his hands or arms to make the tackle.

Legacy Zebra":1ue05ec5 said:
It’s important to note here that the term “tripping” is defined as using the foot or lower leg to obstruct an opponent below the knee. It sounds like that’s probably not what happened here. Based on the description I would guess the player used his hands or arms to make the tackle.

Actually, I would have been fine with him using his hands or arms to make the tackle. He did in fact use his foot to trip him.

Back