Travel for officials

HP Drifter

11-man fan
One of our officials told me last night that Pecan Valley (Brownwood) had a game at Sands. You talking about travel. This deal is getting out of control.

Certainly, some of the travel could be due to the lack of officials in nearby communities.

But there are some instances where the districts decide they don't want the local chapter calling their games because of long-standing friendships, employment conflicts, or bad blood. A few years ago, I was told that the Austin-area (then) 5A basketball district required that the officials had to come from the Houston or Waco chapters ... paying $300 travel, meals and occasionally hotel bills plus officiating fees was the norm.

Oh, I know is because lack of officials, but just thought that was out of sight. See where some big schools are moving to other than Friday. Tired of officials expecting and I guess succeeding in making six man schools change. Guy who drove raked in some coin on that deal.

Drifter, just look at the officials who won't ride with the rest of the crew so they can gouge the schools. UIL in their infinite wisdom made 3 drivers a possibility and the schools have to pay it. The 15 bucks a man for travel over 150 miles and motel if it is over 5 I think. The superintendents let this wreck start so they need to end it.

Whoa, guys...

Let's look at it from another point of view:
According to the internet, it's 198 miles from Brownwood to Ackerly, one way. Yep, the driver gets $0.56 per mile. Each member of the crew would get $15 for a meal fee. More than likely, the crew would each get the minimum game fee of $45 (I've got a bunch to say about how the gate receipts are tallied, but that's a whole other story). So, let's add it all up. We'll use the drive for the example:
Mileage = $222
Meal = $15
Game = $45
Total = $282

But, it is customary for the driver to use some of his elicit gains to buy his crew member a burger or such on the way home. Let's say that cost $30.
The driver would also have to buy gas. At 18 mpg, that would be about $65.
He would also have some wear and tear on his vehicle. How about $30 worth?
The crew probably had to take off work early to make the game. Let's call the lost wages about $40.
Now, the uniforms and equipment don't last forever, so let's call it $20.
Total outgoing would be:
Food = $30
Gas = $65
Vehicle = $30
Wages = $40
Uniforms = $20
Total = $185

That leaves a grand total of $97 after expenses, for the driver. Let's don't even talk about the fact that with travel time, prep. time, game time and the time it takes to drive home, each person on the crew would spend somewhere near 10 hours to cover this game. That means the driver makes less than $10 per hour. The rest of the crew makes even less.

Are the zebras getting rich? You be the judge.

As far as taking multiple cars...
The state's agreement allows it. You might not be aware that there is a significant reduction in mileage fees with multiple cars. For 1, 2 and 3 cars, the rates are $0.56, $0.42 and $0.336 dollars per mile, respectively. In this day and age, most cars on the road don't hold 5 grown men and their luggage very comfortably. That makes taking multiple vehicles a lot more attractive. Also, I have worked with guys who live 50-75 miles in the opposite direction. Would the schools prefer that I drive 150 extra miles out of my way to pick them up? Hardly.

I know that to the uninitiated, it might look like the officials are "cleaning up". That is hardly the case. On the other hand, I don't do it for the money. I love the game. I wouldn't do it for free, but I already do it cheap!

Well, sir, was not even suggesting the officials were getting rich, was merely commenting about how far they were traveling. You must have been with good crew cause very rarely did our driver buy anything for the crew. And yes did it for 6 years, so am a little familiar with all of it.

I haven't seen very many paysheets this season - at least on the crews I was on - where there were three drivers listed. IF there were, the guy who drove the furthest got screwed because the mileage is cut by $.20/mile for three drivers.

I live about 90-ish miles from my chapter. It would be stupid for me to carpool to most games simply because I would have to drive an extra three hours per game day just so I wouldn't "gouge" the school district. There's dollars and cents - and then there's common sense.

I resent the implication that officials are looking to game the system.

Don't think anyone in the zebra stripes is "raking in the dough" but at the same time, had 3 of the 4 officials that based on their zip codes were well within 15 miles of the field location- each charged at the increased 40 mile rate...sorry but $18 to drive less than 20 minutes up the street from the house is just flat excessive...kind like baggage fees...don't nickel and dime me...just add the $50 to the price of the ticket...

What you described is the "metro" rate, a part of this 1204 UIL wreck. If you live in inside the 15 mile o e way ring, every driver picks up the $18 for the trip, even if only 1 drove.
When this was overhauled, any descretion the chapter had to split milage fees between officials was taken away.

Back