Top 15 active coaches

coachsatcher":p920v3kw said:
coachbronk":p920v3kw said:
I can tell you from personal experience that a year ago I sat in an evaluation meeting with my head of school and AD with the main topic being: we aren't winning enough and if we don't win next year then we will need to reevaluate if I'm the right man or not. This was after he had a secret meeting with the parents so they could complain that all the fuzzy, feel good mentor, character stuff was great, but they wanted W's.

I'm not saying this goes on everywhere, but it goes on at a lot of places, right or wrong.

If this was a private school, these are not fair comparisons. Most of us are speaking on behalf of the public school system. Ones in which 80% of the salary is based on a teacher's sliding scale.

I don't disagree with you at all.

coachsatcher":1tpvkly7 said:
coachbronk":1tpvkly7 said:
I can tell you from personal experience that a year ago I sat in an evaluation meeting with my head of school and AD with the main topic being: we aren't winning enough and if we don't win next year then we will need to reevaluate if I'm the right man or not. This was after he had a secret meeting with the parents so they could complain that all the fuzzy, feel good mentor, character stuff was great, but they wanted W's.

I'm not saying this goes on everywhere, but it goes on at a lot of places, right or wrong.

If this was a private school, these are not fair comparisons. Most of us are speaking on behalf of the public school system. Ones in which 80% of the salary is based on a teacher's sliding scale. But make no mistake, as long as coaches are on a one year contract, they can be let go for anything: wins/losses, pissing off the school board president, bad morals, breaking rules, etc. My point is, you can't say "To Hell With Education", and consider yourself a public school coach. Until you get to 3A and above, where you can be a head football coach, with no teaching responsibilities; we will always be educators/coaching.

BTW, I don't me you - yourself. Just us - in general.

coachsatcher":5oobdpbr said:
coachsatcher":5oobdpbr said:
coachbronk":5oobdpbr said:

If this was a private school, these are not fair comparisons. Most of us are speaking on behalf of the public school system. Ones in which 80% of the salary is based on a teacher's sliding scale. But make no mistake, as long as coaches are on a one year contract, they can be let go for anything: wins/losses, pissing off the school board president, bad morals, breaking rules, etc. My point is, you can't say "To Hell With Education", and consider yourself a public school coach. Until you get to 3A and above, where you can be a head football coach, with no teaching responsibilities; we will always be educators/coaching.

BTW, I don't me you - yourself. Just us - in general.

No worries, I understand. Have been on both sides of the fence in my career.

This is what makes this board a good sounding board, topic's can be discussed and carry all the different viewpoints afforded the topic and many times you get a coaches point of view from the inside.

reddogblitz":f5308aj7 said:
This is what makes this board a good sounding board, topic's can be discussed and carry all the different viewpoints afforded the topic and many times you get a coaches point of view from the inside.

I agree 100%. This is what I love about the six-man community.

Just to add my 2 cents worth, from where I sit, I see a huge relationship between character, attitude, student success, and winning. Whether on the field, on the court, or in the classroom, the kids with the best teacher/coach/mentor are going to have the most wins. One question that I have been wondering about is how many of the programs that are under .500 in the win column have an active FCA chapter on campus? I can probably guess the answer to that question. None.

coachbronk":3re6z3hx said:

In that case a business decision needs to be reached between the stakeholders. They need to put into writing what their core values are and map out how to reach them. If all they want is immediate wins then they should be able to express why and plan how. If one wanted to cinch their job then just follow their plan.

My list would be based on whether I would hire them or not, given the opportunity to, and in what order I would prefer them. Yes, winning matters, but at the 6 man level, it is not the only criteria and maybe not even the top criteria. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Satcher would be my top choice, every time, and I've never even met the man. He teaches the right values AND he wins.

Shad Kline":2syqaxb8 said:
My list would be based on whether I would hire them or not, given the opportunity to, and in what order I would prefer them. Yes, winning matters, but at the 6 man level, it is not the only criteria and maybe not even the top criteria. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Satcher would be my top choice, every time, and I've never even met the man. He teaches the right values AND he wins.

Satcher is alright. Haha!!!

Seriously, in the year or so that I've gotten to know him, there isn't a finer man in our profession.

Just heard the story ... SA Spurs HC Popovich gives interview on what they look for in a player. Hopefully players coming out of high school have at least some training in this. He claimed the #1 thing they look for in a player is character and he goes on to give some examples of what he means by that. It's mostly un-selfish type of things.
If all the pee-wee daddies are teaching is a win only philosophy then they're not preparing their players as much as they're padding their own stats.

Back