Tips on Keeping Stats for 6 man football

joshuriley09

11-man fan
My name is Joshua Riley, and this Friday november 16 2012 I will be broadcasting Tomball Christian and Waco Live Oak on supercentex.com. I need a software program for a PC to that will keep 6 man stats, I have only found programs for 11 man. If anyone has an idea about what would be the best to use or the most efficient way of keeping stats besides have to use a pencil and paper (It can be difficult to keep up with game during broadcast and figuring out how to keep stats) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MaxPreps currently has one stats program they are partnered with that will import directly into them and works from the smart phones. I have not used it but my understanding is that it is free which is always a good thing. It is http://www.digitalscout.com/ Hopefully this helps.

Thanks I will give it a try. I saw a lot of posts about using iPhones and iPads, but I don't use apple products, I have pc and an android phone. Thanks again.

Also, I would like some information about names of formations for 6 man football. I have never broadcast 6 man before and am not sure what termonology is the same. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Josh

Josh,

You might try to call and interview Jordan Barker (Live Oak's coach) in advance of the game. Live Oak runs a number of different formations. Tomball runs alot of "tight run" formations (example: jaybird).

10, 2 and 4

I know you don't have or use an iPad, but if you can get one, we use an iPad app called iScore for Football. It is $9.99 in the App Store. I don't know if there is the same app in the Android Marketplace or not. It works great because it doesn't care about formations. You can set the settings for an 80 yard field, 15 yards for a first down, 2 pts for a kicked XP and one point for a conversion. You can also set the FG scoring to 4 points. We watch our game film and take stats off of it. I've never done it live but I can imagine it would be difficult to do without an extra set of eyes on the sideline watching.

I had to be in the press box to help announce a few games 3years ago. I was used to being on the field and using paper and pencil. I borrowed an excel file and retooled it and it worked out pretty well. I may still have it around somewhere. It's a little more involved than all the iStuff - but if you have a laptop it shold work just fine for you. Let me know if your interested.

Josh,

The terminology is largely the same, you just have to adjust for some of the things that otherwise may come naturally to your tongue when it comes to 11-man football, such as saying "1st and 15" rather than "1st and 10." Learning the actual names of the 6-man formations, such as the jaybird, will help quite a bit.

As far as stats, during my time in radio I simply did them on pen and paper with the same stats sheets that I remember the managers using when I was in high school. I've never tried any of the electronic formats.

Back