This is an old topic but...10 Greatest Texas 6man Games?

Knowmystuff

11-man fan
I hate when people post topics that have been covered over and over and over again...so now I am a hypocrite....

What do you have???

I'll start...just the 10 greatest in no order:

1. 1996 State - Gordon 51 Whitharral 50
*5th down to win it all

2. 1994 Regional - Amherst 12 Meadow 12
*both schools kick field goals to score their last points

3. 2001 Semis - Richland Springs 55 Woodson 54
*crazy play call at the end to win it, opened with KO returns for TDs by both teams

4. 1974 State - Marathon 60 Cherokee 58
*Marathon score late and a freshman makes the PAT kick

5. 2003 Semis - Strawn 56 Richland Springs 54
*Strawn scores as time expires and the running back was hit in the backfield and powered for the TD

6. 2000 Quarters - Aquilla 44 Trent 42
*one of the biggest playoff upsets I remember

7. 1992 Quarters - Panther Creek 70 Cherokee 68
*PC had lost to them in the reg. season and Cherokee dominated the first half, PC comes back takes the lead, Cherokee scores and PC blocks a PAT kick to win it

8. 1967 Bi-District - Paint Creek 26 Hobbs 25
*Rick Perry returns an INT for a TD with about 2 minutes left in the game to win it

9. 1999 Quarters - Gordon 61 Panther Creek 52
*people thought that PC team was like the 2nd coming of Jesus...I remember posting on the message board then (early days!) in response to someone saying "Gordon doesn't have a chance!"...I posted "Gordon does have a Chance...Chance Kite and he will be the difference"

10. 1936 - Sylvester 14 Dowell 0
*first ever inter-school six-man game in Texas

Honerable Mention:

1992 District Game - Panther Creek 56 Christoval 50
*PC finally beats Christoval with some great QB plays

1972 State - O'Brien 60 Jarrell 14
*first six-man state game

And there is a documentary that features that Aquilla team a lot in it...so that adds a little extra to that game for me...

I was tempted to put the crazy 2009 Garden City v Strawn State game in there or the 2010 Paint Rock v Novice game in there...but I'm not crazy about those type of games...the 2 2010 Borden County v Garden City games are both worthy of Honorable Mention as well...

Have to mention this one....

1996 Semi Final Round in Glen Rose
Gordon 30 Milford 23
A great defensive battle. Milford had been to state the last two years and still had a lot of talent.
Gordon's Coach Campbell had taken Strawn and Gordon to the semi's but had never won.

This was during a string of years where Gordon was bringing A LOT of press for the sport of six-man.

After the game Bill Hart wrote this.... "There were four newspapers represented at last Friday's game in Glen Rose, plus the Mineral Wells radio station which carries all of the Gordon playoff games. The estimated attendance was more than 5,000 (capacity is 6,500) and Gordon's side of the stadium was full. Milford's side would have been close to capacity had those standing by the fences sat down. Both (Supt) Savage and (Coach) Campbell agree that it was the largest crowd to see Gordon play. " .. Not to mention there were a couple of tv stations there as well...

I was at the Meadow Amherst game. Amherst won on penetrations. The Amherst fg came as time was running out and hit the crossbar, then bounced over. It might be the only time that Dwayne miles was contained in his entire career.

oneday":212s9qkg said:
And there is a documentary that features that Aquilla team a lot in it...so that adds a little extra to that game for me...

I was tempted to put the crazy 2009 Garden City v Strawn State game in there or the 2010 Paint Rock v Novice game in there...but I'm not crazy about those type of games...the 2 2010 Borden County v Garden City games are both worthy of Honorable Mention as well...

I didn't see any of the top ten games. Both the GC-BC games were as good as they can get. I'd have to add last years BC-Meadow game in that mix too.

1994 Guthrie vs Balmorhea...in Stanton...Guthrie takes the lead with a few second left on the clock, Balmorhea returns the kickoff for a TD as time expires...final Balmorhea 71 Guthre 70

ALSO

1989 Guthrie vs Zephyr...in Winters (Blizzard field)...was so clod that night...final Guthrie 54 Zephyr 53

Not playoff games but 2009 Penelope/Abbott game played in Abbott. Penelope won on a catch for an extra point late in the fourth making the final 31-30 Penelope. Last years Aquilla/Lometa game in Aquilla was off the chain too!! Game long battle back and forth. Lometa scored a td with very little time and Aquilla partially blocked the two point kick. Those two stick out here in central Texas and locally. Richland Springs/Calvert last year in moody was another good game in the playoffs that needs to be mentioned.

A couple that stand out for me

Rule/Throckmorton Quarterfinal Game-Snowed the days before and weren't sure if it was going to be played. 2nd meeting of the 2 that season, the first game was really good as well. In this one Rule scores on 4th down from about midfield with under a minute to go.

Rule/Richland Springs State Final-Best half of football I have ever seen in the first half. I believe Richland led by a score, when RS took over in the 2nd half to win in a blowout.

Strawn/Gordon Reg Season Game-First time to see this great rivalry and both teams are in the top 5. Gordon wins this one but I think one of Strawn's key guys got injured during the game, Strawn never recovered. Was also at the rematch in Mineral Wells when Strawn got their payback on the way to their state title.

Also a great game that year was Strawn/Abbott played in Glen Rose. It was the first time I had ever seen 100 scored and in a deep playoff game nontheless

CoachMiller":3578aneu said:
1989 Guthrie vs Zephyr...in Winters (Blizzard field)...was so clod that night...final Guthrie 54 Zephyr 53
Winter of '89 was brutal. All games should have been played in Winters at Blizzard field. I have never been so cold as watching playoff games in '89.

You can't have a top 10 without the Calvert vs. Sanderson State Championship. If I recall correctly, Granger managed to nail the point spread on a wild game...

Probably not on anyone's top 10, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Holy Trinity's first ever game in school history was a 39-37 victory over Seguin Lifegate. Holy Trinity scored the game-winning touchdown on the last play of the game. Though it's likely not a top 10, I'd have to bet few schools began their football program in such a miraculous way!

Forgot about that Balmorhea v Guthrie game...heard it was a classic! May have that one in my top 10...

2002 State game is a top game for sure...hell of a come back

2000 State game was good too...ending with a little controversy helps...unless you're from Highland

I happened to catch the Ft. Davis and Valley 2003 playoff game in Garden City. Don't remember the final score, but I'm pretty sure it went into OT.

Ref # 5. Gordon Wood Stadium, Brownwood, 12/5/03. Wife "Best Game Ever!!!" (former SHS cheerleader). Only time I've ever rushed the field after a game. Just us? From a article off this site (I thankfully printed) by a fella named Huntress. Title: Crazy Train. "I am really not sure where to begin. Friday night I got to see one of the all-time classics in six-man football. Immediately thoughts of where the game ranked among the best was an instant topic of discussion in the press box....After a wild and wacky first half (Gordon Wood himself commented on how amazing a game he was seeing)..score was 44-40 Strawn lead." (google Gordon Wood if you don't know who he is, it was one of the last games he ever saw). After all that 1st 1/2 scoring (10 TD's) anticipation built as no one scored in the 3rd. "The final series is going to go down as a classic. Strawn trailing 54-50, makes a magnificent stop, forcing RS to punt from their own 29.....down to the Strawn 2 yard line. 1:38 remaining...78 yards to go...0 time outs....4 yard run, Hinkson pass to Orin Mallory at the 16, 3rd & 1, pass to Jeremy Parsons all the way to RS 20, next play pass to Jonathan Parsons to the 1, 34 seconds left, We all knew it was going to the Big Man (Clifton) Baker (state power lifting champ), hammered up the middle, stopped cold at the line, Second down, Baker stopped cold again. Spike the ball, 2 seconds left, inside trap to Jonathon Parsons". He's stopped at the line, steps right, dives, stretches right arm out, 1/2 the ball over the goal. The world stopped for a few seconds, then we rushed the field as pandemonium broke out. After being to the semi 2x before Strawn's going to State!!! I'll never forget the serene, satisfied grin on Coach Lee & Jonathons faces standing together as I approched to congratulate them.

While not a playoff game, the 2003 Water Valley vs. Santa Anna matchup was a classic. It came down to the last play of the game when Thomas Tipton hit Daniel Sears with a pass on a broken play to make the final 72-70 Water Valley.

51eleven -

While in college at McMurry I made it a habit to take friends of mine to a six-man game who had never seen one before...I took a group of about 5 friends to Brownwood to see that game...they all loved it!

Also took a friend to see the 2001 RS v Woodson game...the final play of that games was more dramatic than the 2003 Strawn game I think...but they both were great plays.

Back