The Slippery Slope

Johnny South

Six-man pro
I know that curiosity killed the cat, but I am just puzzled. How in the heck can Mt. Calm go from being a state contender and feared adversary to the proverbial doormat in such a short period of time? I heard that they had a couple of injuries early on, but getting 45'd by Cedar Park Summit?

Johnny South":1gddkvc3 said:
I know that curiosity killed the cat, but I am just puzzled. How in the heck can Mt. Calm go from being a state contender and feared adversary to the proverbial doormat in such a short period of time? I heard that they had a couple of injuries early on, but getting 45'd by Cedar Park Summit?

Don't know for sure, but there are a lot of injuries in the teams in this region (Abbott, Aquilla, Penelope, Mt. Calm, etc.) What happened to Avalon? They have been giving everyone fits till Fri. vs Walnut Springs. And where did Covington come from, Must have been aroused from their coma,,,,,,

Howdy, This here is Hootie... I'm going owl on a limb with a BOLD prediction. I'm saying that the Covington Owls will win their District with Flying colors after starting 0 - 5 for the season. First victim will be Avalon this Friday Night in front of a packed crowd for homecoming. Followed by crushing wins over Kopperl & Bynum (both 45's). Then they will seal the deal in Blum and make the playoffs for the first time in 19 years! You heard it here first... and they WILL be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

Best Wishes,
HOOTIE

Hootie, that would be awesome if they did. If they finished 5 and 5 and made it to the play-off that would be something alright. They would even get a a big prize. Do you know what that prize will be, do you? It will be getting to play Abbott or Penelope in round one and getting beat. On the bright side the game will probably be in Hillsboro so the awkward ride back home will be short.

BigCzech,

Yeah, that would be a good prize considering Covington was 20 points down at halftime in Penelope and came back to take the lead by 10 in the 4th quarter this past week. I'd be willing to bet that most Penelope fans wouldn't want to see the Ole' Owls in the first round.... the good news BigCzech - The distance for Abbott & Penelope is just as short for them to console themselves... and just a slight correction for you - the Owls would be 4 & 5 since the game in Moran was rained out. Hoot Hoot

Johnny South":2nj0eb1q said:

I hate excuses, so let's just call this an explanation. We knew we were going to have to have things go our way early on this season after graduating a great senior class. Losing two players for the season in the first three weeks, and then losing one for six weeks, and another for two to three weeks, and now we're just the walking wounded. The boys haven't given up, and they definately don't enjoy losing. This year we just aren't as deep as we had hoped, and replacing four starters is tough for any team. We're slowly getting kids back, but those "early on" injuries were season-ending injuries, not twisted ankles. We're hoping to have all back at 100% (except those two - obviously) for district.

coachsatcher":3ex7vt6y said:
Johnny South":3ex7vt6y said:

I hate excuses, so let's just call this an explanation. We knew we were going to have to have things go our way early on this season after graduating a great senior class. Losing two players for the season in the first three weeks, and then losing one for six weeks, and another for two to three weeks, and now we're just the walking wounded. The boys haven't given up, and they definately don't enjoy losing. This year we just aren't as deep as we had hoped, and replacing four starters is tough for any team. We're slowly getting kids back, but those "early on" injuries were season-ending injuries, not twisted ankles. We're hoping to have all back at 100% (except those two - obviously) for district.

I understand about the injury bug. That can be a bad thing to have to deal with when you only have 10-15 players to start with and 4 or 5 of them being freshmen. You have been a formidable adversary in the past and I wish you the best of luck in the healing process.

coachsatcher":vlq6bf1g said:
Johnny South":vlq6bf1g said:

Keep your head up and theirs too Coach. So many teams out there would love to have your record the last couple of years. Faith and perseverance during tough times will prevail in the long run. At last I Pray so on a personal basis.

Hootie":dhijxe30 said:
BigCzech,

Yeah, that would be a good prize considering Covington was 20 points down at halftime in Penelope and came back to take the lead by 10 in the 4th quarter this past week. I'd be willing to bet that most Penelope fans wouldn't want to see the Ole' Owls in the first round.... the good news BigCzech - The distance for Abbott & Penelope is just as short for them to console themselves... and just a slight correction for you - the Owls would be 4 & 5 since the game in Moran was rained out. Hoot Hoot

Looks like the excuses are already starting. The bottom line is the owls, no matter how inspiring thier effort aginst Penelope, still lost. Don't be to quick to say who Penelpoe does and doen't want to see in the playoffs. They will be more than happy to meet anyone.

Thanks for correcting me about the final record. I'm sure that once Moran realized what a juggernuat the owls are this season the entire community gathered and did a rain dance in hopes it would cancel the game. Good thing for them it worked.

All smarta$$ comments aside, while not at the Covington/Penelope game it does seem that they gave them all they wanted. Hats off to the owls for fighting back. I hope that they do turn it on and make the run you are hoping for. I love going to Hillsboro for playoff games.

Ladies and Gentlenmen, Can we get into the REAL world now.
No way in Lucifers firery hell is Covington beating Blum, so there goes 1st place.
Covington MIGHT have a VERY SLIM shot at slowing down Avalon's spread offense (which i doubt).

As for Penelope, They've had a GREAT/WONDERFUL Ride vs. Gap 1-5, Morgan 2-3, Bynum 0-6, Kopperl 1-5, Mt.Calm 1-5, Covington 0-5. That's a combined 5-29 record by their scheduled opponents. Both Abbott and Aquilla beats Penelope come district time. (and could be 5-30 IF Moran would've played covington)

From my years of watching 6 man, Penelope ain't see playoff caliber teams, playoff caliber speed, playoff caliber coaching vs Opponents. Once they see Abbott and Aquilla, They'll see playoff caliber teams.

These 2 district finish out as

1st Blum - Abbott
2nd Avalon - Aquilla
3rd Covington - Penelope
4th Kopperl - Gholson
5th Bynum - Coolidge

Kramer":16exxti5 said:
Ladies and Gentlenmen, Can we get into the REAL world now.
No way in Lucifers firery hell is Covington beating Blum, so there goes 1st place.
Covington MIGHT have a VERY SLIM shot at slowing down Avalon's spread offense (which i doubt).

As for Penelope, They've had a GREAT/WONDERFUL Ride vs. Gap 1-5, Morgan 2-3, Bynum 0-6, Kopperl 1-5, Mt.Calm 1-5, Covington 0-5. That's a combined 5-29 record by their scheduled opponents. Both Abbott and Aquilla beats Penelope come district time. (and could be 5-30 IF Moran would've played covington)

From my years of watching 6 man, Penelope ain't see playoff caliber teams, playoff caliber speed, playoff caliber coaching vs Opponents. Once they see Abbott and Aquilla, They'll see playoff caliber teams.

These 2 district finish out as

1st Blum - Abbott
2nd Avalon - Aquilla
3rd Covington - Penelope
4th Kopperl - Gholson
5th Bynum - Coolidge

Abbott and Aquilla have both seen Milford and lost by 35 and 49 respectively.
Aquilla beat Mt Calm by 28, Abbott lost to them by 4. The Wolverines 45'd them.
"The caliber of Coaching"? You don't know what you are talking about regarding at least one of them.
We shared a really special hug the night he got his RING.

when it's all said and done after November 4 (District Season Ends)
Abbott will be district champs and Aquilla will be district runner-up
As for Penelope, Gholson and Coolidge they will be going hard on the hardwood floor bouncing the that SPALDING.

I believe Abbott is finally healthy, beating or losing to Mt Calm way back in EARLY SEPTEMBER has nothing to do with how much teams improve and for Abbott, They have ALWAYS found there DISTRICT-STRIDE and this is another one of those years when Ole' Man Crawford tells everyone, WE AIN'T THAT GOOD THIS YEAR, WE GONA HAVE TO SCHEDULE CRANFILLS GAP. Looks like he pulled a fast one on every one because Abbott will ONCE AGAIN WIN THIS DISTRICT.

As for "Caliber of Coaching" Terry Crawford is the best coach in this district, I'm sure the Penelope asst coach is good and so is the head coach at penelope, but they are not on crawfords level (JMO).

Now I'm not saying Abbott is going to win it all, I'm just saying they will win this district. The top 2 teams in the East are Jonesboro and Union Hill

Hootie":2x1ua924 said:
Howdy, This here is Hootie... I'm going owl on a limb with a BOLD prediction. I'm saying that the Covington Owls will win their District with Flying colors after starting 0 - 5 for the season. First victim will be Avalon this Friday Night in front of a packed crowd for homecoming. Followed by crushing wins over Kopperl & Bynum (both 45's). Then they will seal the deal in Blum and make the playoffs for the first time in 19 years! You heard it here first... and they WILL be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

Best Wishes,
HOOTIE

this would be a great story but more importantly could you imagine how much concrete it would take to build a Charles Steele Statue at Owl Field if Covington came to be district champions in football.
(they'd have to beat Blum of course)

I'm sure Covington would rename Hill County, Steele's County and with a 40 x 45 sign and a 35' BIG TEX (BIG STEELE) blow up doll as you drive into town saying WELCOME TO STEELE COUNTY, GLAD YOU MADE THE TRIP, NOW COME GET YOU SOME

That Penelope vs Aquilla game just might be a GOOD'UN

I would not count out gholson ! I'm not a fan of them at all but the defense I have seen from Aquila ,abbott and gholson the best one so far is gholson ! The hit very hard ! Gholson will beat Penelope Friday and give them there first lost . Also if you don't remember last year every one counted them out and they made playoffs . I think it will be them and Aquila in the playoffs this year .

Hootie":2w53f7jb said:

Best Wishes,
HOOTIE

So Mr. Hootie, how do you like your crow?

BigZech,

I give credit to Avalon on winning the game. Having said this, we lost a key player very early in the 1st quarter, because one of Avalon's players decided to kick him. He retaliated and both were ejected. I like to see a game won fair and square. Several of our players tell me this team played very dirty and it was obvious to the fans... Ultimately, I will certainly eat crow on this game - no excuses. The next three games will obviously decide Covington's fate. I still VERY much believe in this team. I very much look for the Owls to bounce back and make a strong run at the playoffs. I believe Gholson certainly cannot be counted out as well in their district... I know the comment has been made that there is no way in Lucifer's fiery hell Covington beats Blum. I still believe they have a great chance to do just that this season. The truth is, anything can happen on any given night... Who knows - maybe if they do beat Blum this season the Owls can gain a little respect. Time will tell...

Hootie
Covington won't beat Blum but they can finish in 3rd with wins over Kopperl and Bynum. 3rd place finish for Owl Nation.

BigCzech
I believe the Abbott/Aquilla game decided 1st and 2nd. From looking at the score, it looked like a very good game. Enjoy the playoffs, maybe these two can meet 3 rounds into the playoffs but they'll have to get by Blum, High Island, and Union Hill

Jaybird22
Gholson did get a very impressive win versus an undefeated Gholson team. I think that win will carry over into this week and they will beat Coolidge, setting up 2 very important games with Aquilla and Abbott.
Grangers toy says 17 for Coolidge but I will say Gholson wins this one by 26 (48-22)

Kramer":3q43rovt said:
BigCzech
I believe the Abbott/Aquilla game decided 1st and 2nd. From looking at the score, it looked like a very good game. Enjoy the playoffs, maybe these two can meet 3 rounds into the playoffs but they'll have to get by Blum, High Island, and Union Hill

I'm guessing the high Island and Union Hill games would not be as close as Hillsboro, but still worth the drive! :)

Back