The Kingdom of God is like football ...

freeagent

Six-man pro
Gotta share some notes that I got this evening from my son's confirmation teacher. Our pastor (Faith Lutheran, Seguin) has been preaching on "The Kingdom of God is like football," and to my delight, often uses Vince Lombardi quotes.

For example, he started with the Lombardi lecture, "Gentlemen, this is a football." Last Sunday, he even brought back a story that I had long since forgotten. Ol' Elijah Pitts was one heck of a running back, but had a bad habit of fumbling. Lombardi made him carry a football around with him all day long ... in practice, at home, at the grocery store. Anyway, I thought I'd share the notes I got tonight.

The Kingdom of God is like Football....

1. If you don't block and don't tackle, you won't win.
Prayer and Bible Study are to the Kingdom of God as Blocking and Tackling are to Football.

2. You gotta know the playbook and in knowing the playbook, you gotta get the big picture,
The big picture in the Kingdom of God is that we were created in the image of God and God is desperately trying to restore his image in you. The Bible is the Christians' playbook, giving us the big picture of the Kingdom of God.

3. You gotta get a handle on the ball! If you don’t, your going to fumble!
Christians don't always know how to get a handle on the Bible,
But without a handle on God’s Word, you will fumble it. And a fumble is never a good thing.

5 ways to help us as Christians get a handle on God's word...

1. Prayer -- Pray to God to get a handle on God's Word. Remember, Scripture is the Word of God. God is the author.
2. Willing -- You have to want to know what God has to say to us. You have to be willing to be in the Word
3. Open -- You need to be open to God's word for your life. Open to change.... Open to hear God's word for your life, Open to what God has to say to you. God might have a differing opinion that we have!
4. Time -- You have to make time for God in your life. Have a regular time to study God's Word.
5. Bible -- You must have a Bible version that you are comfortable with.
One you can take notes in.

As you get a handle on God's Word to you, when God's speaks to you, you must....

1. Listen – listen to what God is telling you
2. Think it over, ponder the words, keep it for future events.
3. Tell a friend - get excited about how God is working in your life. Go tell someone.
4. Write it Down -- make notes
5. Pray about what God is telling you to do

The Bible contains the words of life -- the words of eternal life!

And you know, the Kingdom of God is like soccer just doesn't cut it .... And God will be watching the Packers against the Lions this Sunday. Christians always do pretty well against the Lions.

Thanks for sharing this. I am going to try to work some of these analogies into my pep talks. Football can be used to develop godly character in lots of young men if lead by older(not necessarily that old) men seeking God. Not by any stretch perfect older men, just willing.

I love this freeagent. I would love to hear your pastor preach. He reminds me of Malcolm Smith's teachings. Malcolm Smith uses the same methods of getting the messages over in our minds and is so filled with the Holy Spirit. If we apply the Lord to football, we would be better Christians. We sure love our football and if we put our Father in the games I believe there would be less injuries, less putting Coaches down and totally enjoying the game. Thank you for sharing freeagent.

Back