The Elephants in the Room

ol' gus

11-man fan
Not sure if it's possible but I was wondering if we could have real discussions and feasible suggestions regarding the things that help a coach get a job and then (this is what no one wants to touch) things that a coach shouldn't do in order to keep his job and build the program. I think we could do this and keep it classy at the same time. With so many new teachers being cranked out of colleges each year there's not a teacher shortage like some may say. These new guys, and some new old guys could use some pointers on handling certain situations that will or could happen.

STEP 1... Be yourself.
STEP 2... Be genuine.
STEP 3... Don't give the "correct answer" Give a realistic answer that represents you.

If they don't like you for you in the interview then why would they like you after they hire you.

Oldiebutagoodie":1mezrlof said:
STEP 1... Be yourself.
STEP 2... Be genuine.
STEP 3... Don't give the "correct answer" Give a realistic answer that represents you.

If they don't like you for you in the interview then why would they like you after they hire you.

Sums it up.

coach_jshelton":2bi40acw said:
Oldiebutagoodie":2bi40acw said:
STEP 1... Be yourself.
STEP 2... Be genuine.

Sums it up.
Wow. I didn't expect that answer but ok. That should be common sense. Is that really what long term coaches do each day/year in order to stay employed? Because I assure you I've known guys that did that and were non-renewed. How does that help a coach get a job then keep that job and build the program?
OAN, does anyone have any idea how many applicants each AD/HC job gets? And then how many interviews would they do? And if they call you in for an interview, wouldn't that earn a notification regarding the results of the job search? At least a Thanks but no thanks. Have any of you guys ever hired personnel in other career fields?

And if they call you in for an interview, wouldn't that earn a notification regarding the results of the job search? At least a Thanks but no thanks. Have any of you guys ever hired personnel in other career fields?

One of the reason I dont want to apply for jobs is how bad these AD's/administrators are at their job. I think if you take the time to look up a place, type up a letter of interest, and get a resume together, when you send that it in, the least you deserve is a Received your information. And if you get an interview but dont get the job, you should at least get a thanks for coming in, but we went a different direction.

It is ridiculous to expect a coach to drive 3-10 hours one way for an interview and NOT give him or her the courtesy of a thanks but no thanks call. It should not be that uncomfortable for either party. If you can't handle letting someone down easily, you should not be an administrator.

Some important keys are (IMO)
1 - It's not what you know but WHO you know 90% of the time.
2 - WINNING goes a darn long ways. WOULD you want a 300% coach or a Brett Tyler, a Trey Richie, a Jerry Burkhart, a Dwain Lee, a Vance Jones.... I'm pretty sure if these guys put in for ANY 6 man job THEY'D GET FIRST CHOICE AND A CHOICE OF HOW MUCH MONEY YOU NEED TO COME HERE.

3 - If you're not a TOP notch coach like above, then your resume and interview NEEDS to be impressive. YOU NEED TO SALE YOURSELF AND YOUR PROGRAM GOALS.

4 - Your classroom management skills, YOUR COMMUNICATION SKILLS

5 - AND LASTLY, because I've seen it when I was an AD and involved in hiring process, DON'T GO INTO AN INTERVIEW WITH CHAW (chewing tabacco) IN YOUR MOUTH.

I know people won't say this ALOUD and this is why Donald Trump is ROLLING is because HE's not afraid to say what America is afraid to say....
YOU BETTER WIN.... you can say all the BS about being a character builder, i'm here for the kids, etc.... YOU BETTER WIN, once you start winning, now you can have a bad season or two and you can start building character in students, make them GREAT kids with-in the community.

IF your'e 2-36 in three years, YOU WON'T have time to build that character.
THE ENTIRE community can and will see every friday night if the kids are playing hard or if they are getting freight-trained by 45 each night.

A Superintendent and school board who is HONEST and can see when a coach is getting the MOST/BEST out of the student athletes will help.
Watching Bret Tyler do this year end and year out.
He does it with without getting transfers like the IRA's and Richland Springs of the world.

But getting hired for any coaching job really boils down to have a winning record (most of the time) and being impressive in your interview.

I'm no coach so I have never been in an interview of this matter but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I have known some really great guys who have honesty and integrity to the bone, and are really great teachers and coaches who can never land the big head coach AD job because they don't have the big line of BS that it takes to convince an unknowing school board or a know-it-all administrator that he is the man for the job. A lot of times the big-shot administrator won't even recommend him for an interview because of his lack of BS. If you want to move it on up to the big time, you better start practicing your line of BS! (Or win so much that they can't turn you down!)

Wonder Dog":3ny533ht said:
Watching Bret Tyler do this year end and year out.
He does it with without getting transfers like the IRA's and Richland Springs of the world.

And by the way, just for your information, the closest large town around Richland Springs for any supply of transfers to speak of is 35 miles away. Other than Brownwood, I don't believe there is any other pool to draw from. Most of the Brownwood transfer students stop off in May, Blanket, Zephyr, Brookesmith etc.
But, any time that a team is winning, people start saying that it is because of transfers. Come to think about it, upon further investigation, I believe that there was one transfer student on the Coyote roster, and he played JV and didn't even finish the season.

One of the reason I dont want to apply for jobs is how bad these AD's/administrators are at their job. I think if you take the time to look up a place, type up a letter of interest, and get a resume together, when you send that it in, the least you deserve is a Received your information. And if you get an interview but dont get the job, you should at least get a thanks for coming in, but we went a different direction.

Sometimes the AD's get their hands tied. I know of a situation last year when I tried and tried to get a position filled and had a very qualified applicant. I went to my supt several times but to no avail, could not get him to even let me bring this person in for an interview. Fellow coaches keep telling me I will turn out the same way when I become a superintendent. I keep arguing that I will not, the REASON I want to become a supt is to help protect the coaching profession, not change who I am or change my values and morals to satisfy locals. I will do what is best for the kids and the school.

Johnny south
How many Mullin transfers went over to richland springs.
The walker tippie kid is a Mullin kid (transfer).

We can go back thru the archives but they get transfers from all surrounding schools, does Richland Springs and ira gets a bulk load from Snyder.

Hence my posts. I never once said Ricland Springs nor Ira is doing anything illegal.
I said they get transfers

ol' gus":34oql8es said:
coach_jshelton":34oql8es said:
Oldiebutagoodie":34oql8es said:
STEP 1... Be yourself.
STEP 2... Be genuine.

Sums it up.
Wow. I didn't expect that answer but ok. That should be common sense. Is that really what long term coaches do each day/year in order to stay employed? Because I assure you I've known guys that did that and were non-renewed. How does that help a coach get a job then keep that job and build the program?
OAN, does anyone have any idea how many applicants each AD/HC job gets? And then how many interviews would they do? And if they call you in for an interview, wouldn't that earn a notification regarding the results of the job search? At least a Thanks but no thanks. Have any of you guys ever hired personnel in other career fields?

(First time replying using a quote. Apologize if doesn't work perfectly this go-'round.)
To answer your questions IMHO, which that and a dollar, still can't buy you a Coke anymore, my initial post was how to get employed. I have interviewed for 11 Jobs since graduating college to this point in my life. Everything from AAA-A and A.D. to assistant girls bball. I have been offered the job EVERY TIME I have been to an in face interview (only accepted 3). So I have faith in what I know is true for me, if I'm me, nothing more and nothing less, that encourages them to be themselves and we both will get an idea what the other is about.
To answer the second part is that how you keep a job. YES!!! Do what you said you would do. Stand by your word. This business is about people and relationships not X's and O's. I have won more games because my kids love me than I ever will out coaching someone.
My question for you: The guys that are themselves but don't get renewed, were they themselves in the interview? Not every school/admin is the right fit for every coach. There are many places I would not fit and I would not accept/be offered the job. I have said "no thank you" to 8 schools because they were not the right fit for me. I think people paint themselves into a corner during interviews by selling what they think the admin wants to hear when in reality that is not fundamentally who they are. So when it gets down to it the admin/board aren't getting what they paid for. The flip side can be true also. The admin at times can be disingenuous during the interview. You have to be able to spot the politician-admin types and be willing to walk away from them.

Kramer":166yx4vt said:
YOU BETTER WIN.... you can say all the BS about being a character builder, i'm here for the kids, etc.... YOU BETTER WIN, once you start winning, now you can have a bad season or two and you can start building character in students, make them GREAT kids with-in the community.

IF your'e 2-36 in three years, YOU WON'T have time to build that character.
THE ENTIRE community can and will see every friday night if the kids are playing hard .
I love winning as much as the next guy but in HS you work with what you got. What if all you got is 6 or 7 boys who are not in the physical condition to compete to win?
Plus if the community can see that the boys refuse to play hard on Fri. night then how can that be put on the coach?

ol' gus":9xa9eub6 said:
coach_jshelton":9xa9eub6 said:
Oldiebutagoodie":9xa9eub6 said:
STEP 1... Be yourself.
STEP 2... Be genuine.

Sums it up.

I assume the original question wasn't for the legends in the field, but those of us not at that level of achievement. I do believe that oldiebutagoodie was succinct, but on point. I didn't enter coaching until age 30, had a couple different careers prior to entry. The coaching profession is unique in that is the most relationship driven business I know of - not just relationships with kids & community, but the most overlooked is the relationship between coach & administration, as well as coach with other coaches. You have to spend a lot of time with other coaches - almost like a 2nd marriage. Bad coaching relationships make for a miserable year/experience. If you blow smoke going into the interview & try to be someone you're not, it'll spell trouble down the road. I'm not everyone's cup of tea & that's ok - I am who I am, I try my best to utilize criticism to examine myself & improve, and I try my best to do right by people while staying true to my values. My win-loss record isn't spectacular, yet I haven't been unemployed either.

As far as notifying people - notifying applicants who send info in via email, a reply thanking them for their application is sufficient. The idea that you have to notify every applicant that you're interviewing or that you've filled the position is ridiculous - or your schedule is much lighter than mine. I've never received updates on jobs I've applied for but did not get an interview for in the non-coaching sector. Now if someone has been brought in for an interview, they definitely deserve the courtesy of being notified that the process has been completed and the job has been filled. And for the record, I think if someone takes the time to come in and interview, they deserve a phone call rather than an email.

Coach Fudge":2jzbnyff said:
It is ridiculous to expect a coach to drive 3-10 hours one way for an interview and NOT give him or her the courtesy of a thanks but no thanks call. It should not be that uncomfortable for either party. If you can't handle letting someone down easily, you should not be an administrator.
This is one of the topics I hoped would come up. I too have driven HOURS away for an interview that could have been done on the phone or at least by any of the video chats available (Skype etc.) only to never hear from that Supt. again. I think it's happened to me this year too. I went in to an interview one time and he told me he needed a Math teacher. I'm not a math teacher so why did he even bother to invite me in? What's so hard about letting a guy know? Why can't job postings include everything an applicant needs to know about the opening?

Wonder Dog":3mzpf95e said:
Johnny south
How many Mullin transfers went over to richland springs.
The walker tippie kid is a Mullin kid (transfer).

We can go back thru the archives but they get transfers from all surrounding schools, does Richland Springs and ira gets a bulk load from Snyder.

Hence my posts. I never once said Ricland Springs nor Ira is doing anything illegal.
I said they get transfers

Mr. Wonder Dog, I guess I'm just stupid or something. I thought that a transfer was a student who lived in one district and made application to another school district to attend school there. After approval by the board, the student then attended the new school but lived in the other district.
But, what do I know.

I have to say, I've heard this "Richland Springs gets transfers" thing for a long time now but, when I look at a map I just don't see it. Where would they transfer from, San Saba? Rochelle? Brady? I've also heard about foster kids and such. Where did this stuff start and is there any shred of truth to it? Someone from RS enlighten me.

I don't live in RS, but one thing I know and that is when you are on top, a lot of sour grapes kind want to bring you down. And they will use any and every kind of ammunition that they can think of to do it. They don't want to climb to the top with you, they just don't want you to be there.

Back