The Creeping seems to have Crept and I am disappointed ...

justobserving

11-man fan
O.K. - I took the preventative steps.

• • I counted to 3.
    • Then I counted to 10.
    • Then I waited a day.
    • I told myself to be objective and just accept it and just let it lie.

That worked for a while. I jumped on the forum, started this post - stopped - deleted the thread • backed off and reconsidered.

But in true fashion I will muddle ahead.

I have watched over the years as the braggadocio • loud • arrogant • self centered • mouthy • showy actions that were ushered in by "Professional" (joke) wrestling began to take hold in the NFL. The "hey look at me actions" after making a tackle, scoring, blocking a punt or kick or any individual achievement on the field had to be accelerated to the point of being a monumental event. Guys beating on their chest, flexing their muscles, doing these ridiculous duck walks while pumping their fists, turning to the crowds and basically saying look at me. All the show just to draw attention to ones self. Basically it turns my stomach.

Well, as time has progressed this has filtered down to the college ranks. To some degree I have seen it at High School games.

I haven't been to but a couple of six man games over the last couple of years. After moving back to my home town I have been attending our local high school's (Class A) games with my father-in-law. They have been 3 or so rounds deep in the playoffs for 2 years so no 6 man games for me.

Well this weekend was the last straw for me on this "hey look at me" trend. One of the big draws of 6 man football for me has always been the sportsmanship and sense of "team" that was always prevalent, very apparent and continuously on display.

I was planning on making more six man games this year and to start the year out I went to both of the All Star games that were put on at the State Coaching clinic in Lubbock.

Lo and behold - the creeping had crept. I witnessed the same self centered individual "look at me" crap going on there. Players (now I am NOT pointing fingers here at any individual - this is an observation of general happenings) doing the same things I thought I would not see at the 6 man level.

• Blocked kick - here steps out the player from the crowd as to be seen for sure pumping his fist - yelling screaming - of course while facing the stands.
    Kid makes a tackle and gets up pounding his chest and yelling and screaming.
    Long run for a touchdown, here comes the player out of the end zone throwing his chest out screaming - his arms back doing some kind of bent knee strut and of course facing the stands while doing it.
    Kid gets tackled for a loss - comes to the bench, throws his helmet on the ground and struts up and down the sideline behind the bench ( making sure to glance in the stands to be sure he is being noticed)

Ah for the good old days I remember from watching the six man game.

• Players making a good hard tackle and the reaction by the person making the tackle - he helps the runner up he tackled.
    Kid blocks a punt or kick and then retrieves the ball and unceremoniously hands it to the ref.
    Makes a long touchdown run, gets congratulated by his teammates and unceremoniously hands the ball to the ref.
    When players accept the congratulations and recognition from their teammates and fans without have to create their own

Is this showy, self centered and ego driven drivel going to become part of the six man world now ? Is this going to become the accepted behavior following the trend set by "the big boys" ? I sure hope not. The game will suffer for it as well as the players. Or maybe the game won't suffer from it and this is just the view from the "Old School" seats....

Do you reckon they act that way at home (school)? Or now that they are away from home and out of school do they act that way? I honestly did not see anything like that Saturday night, but then, had other things going on. But you are correct, maybe it is we are both old. Ha

I have seen some players act that way, but they seemed to be arrogant on and off the field.
A school near me has a young player that is showing promise. He recently began to get cocky. The linemen informed him to control it or they would stand still when the ball was snapped - leaving him to get pounded. He hasn't show-boated since. :)

Back in my day of playing sixman ball, if you acted in that manor you were watching the game from the sideline or you were sent to the locker room... I knew a couple coaches who had zero tolerance for that kind of sportsmenship no matter how great you were or thought you were.

On a side note, the majority of sixman games I see are played with great sportsmenship on both sides of the ball, win or lose. Sixman ball is still the greatest football of all

Sancho, I haven't heard that since the early 1980s... still 3 decades later that little bit of wisdom applies to any sport really and truly.

CowboyP":ln1uxc6y said:
I have seen some players act that way, but they seemed to be arrogant on and off the field.
A school near me has a young player that is showing promise. He recently began to get cocky. The linemen informed him to control it or they would stand still when the ball was snapped - leaving him to get pounded. He hasn't show-boated since. :)

Gentlemen --

I believe that this technique is known in football as the "look out" block.

That's where you miss your man and yell to the quarterback, "Look out!"

Or, as Chuck Noll used to tell the Steelers, when you get to the end zone, act like you've been there before.

Lifegate,

Well really the quote we learned was Act Like You've Done This Before. I.E. if you're good, you're good and expected to make big plays on either side of the ball. Don't act so surprised everytime it happens. Stay humble and stay hungry.

it starts and ends at home, not the schools, not the coaches, not the refs....... we have raised a generation based on the haves rather than the have nots... most just need their ass busted and mom and dad to stand up and get it done. school needs to teach. quit blaming the pros etc...

kbjoe1":3ml38i3q said:
it starts and ends at home, not the schools, not the coaches, not the refs....... we have raised a generation based on the haves rather than the have nots... most just need their ass busted and mom and dad to stand up and get it done. school needs to teach. quit blaming the pros etc...

Nobody is blaming anyone. The fact is the "example" is out there to follow. Wait, I guess I am blaming someone or someones. The adults and role models out there that put on these stupid and childish displays do have some burden of responsibility to bear. They know people are watching and that is why they do it. They have created this selfish and egocentric environment.

Wholeheartedly agree on the corporal punishment thing but that is not going to happen in this day and age. Mom and Dad do need to stand up and "Get 'er Done" but in so many cases this is also never going to happen.

It should not have to be the responsibility of our educators/coaches to have to deal with this but another fact being they are the last line and the only line of direction a lot of these kids have. In most cases it is dealt with by them.

I just hate to see the showboating and the self showmanship creeping into another area of our lives.

CowboyP":nyjhba5w said:
"Wholeheartedly agree on the corporal punishment thing but that is not going to happen in this day and age."
My kids will tell you different.

Hat's off to you !! ( you backward - uneducated - unfeeling - abusive - prehistoric neanderthal ) LOL...........There needs to be more like you...

justobserving":l7fdmgcz said:
CowboyP":l7fdmgcz said:
"Wholeheartedly agree on the corporal punishment thing but that is not going to happen in this day and age."

Hat's off to you !! ( you backward - uneducated - unfeeling - abusive - prehistoric neanderthal ) LOL...........There needs to be more like you...

I know a little 2nd grade girl that had 2 notes sent home from school in 3 days for talking to the kids sitting next to her instead of listening to the teacher. Momma pretty well took care of the situation with a little application of leather to seat of higher learning. I told the little girl that the next note that come home to be signed was being sent back pinned to a belt with another note saying, "Use this, it's more effective than notes." We didn't get another note sent home all year.

1st off i want to say mine were not angels nor did i raise them to be. they are strong willed confident children that will at times challenge the line. i think that parents dont take the responsibility that they should. so some of the actions fall upon the individuals incharge at the time of the disgression. the problem with this is that they ie teachers coaches etc have a code of conduct and also punishment ie retraining. however what works for my son does not work for my daughter and therefore they would not get the response that they are wanting by giving the same punishment so again it reverts back to me. i wonder if we had a bit more communication with teachers administration prior to the poor actions the children have made would encourage our children to behave a bit better.
i do agree with the statement that they learn from what they see, from at home to teachers etc. i onlisted two because we can affect change with proper motivation but it starts with the communication of the adults when it has gotten to this level. so mom, dad invest some time in getting to know the adults that your children deal with each day. this lets your children know that you'll have a working relationship. i like to show up at school fromtime to time just to visit with the principle, teacher, coach, custodian just to see how things are going and can i do something to helpit to be better and so they know i appreciate the job they are doing. oh by the way i know some eyebrows had to rise abit with custodian but you would be amazed at what they see and hear in the hallways.

one last thing its a game of emotion just how to channel it will make the differances i think everyone could be excited about. instead of just walk away like no big deal maybe they could run over to the bench off the playing field and holler with each other. just some thoughts from an old fat dad.

I just came from a school where corporal punishment was still being used in athletics. Ironically, we just played in the State Championship game as well. I think there is fine line between "passion" and "ignorance". I honestly want my defense to celebrate together and get fired up if they just stopped a team on fourth and goal. However, the lengths these kids have taken today exceeds team celebration and takes it to a whole new level. I typically tell my kids this; if you're celebrating without your teamates, you're the fool on the field. It's an attempt to teach them to celebrate their teamates accomplishments and not to focus on their own. I want my kids to have fun and to play with passion; but not at the expense of the other team or their own teamates. Our motto is "Win like Champions, lose like Champions."

i do like the teammates running over to encourage their teammate . when the athlete is calling attention to him or herself then it deflates the word team.
coach i do like your comment

justobserving":2ih1ekvt said:
CowboyP":2ih1ekvt said:

There are still a few of us that are old school in the way we handle our kids.

Back