The Best Athletic Facilities

13forever

11-man fan
This is just a topic that has been on my mind as of late.
I feel as though the athletic facilities reflect the outcome of each teams success.
The more you're willing to invest in the athletic program, the more success you will see on the field, court, and track.

Common sense to me.

Who has the best facilities?

Actually,
this would be a great thesis topic.
Zephyer (sp?)
Blackwell
Hermleigh
all have great places.

What's their record of titles, and keeping a coach employed?
Let the evidence speak.

Based on what I know about Six-Man football, facility quality does not equate to football success. More times than not I have seen teams dominate that have some of the worst facilities in the state. To me, success basically comes from talent, determination, and coaching. You can have the finest facility, but without at least two of those you will fail in this sport.

To answer your question, while limiting the answer to football.... I haven't seen all of the Six-Man facilities in Texas, but I can tell you that Zephyr, Trent, Gordon, Strawn, Hermleigh, Blackwell, and Blanket are among the best.

I have seen all the above mentioned and even as an in district foe with these guys and gals, Borden County has HANDS DOWN the best facilities in the state for 6 Man!

I'd be interested to see how Robert Lee stacks up after all their renovations are done. However, I agree with Texman, BC is THE best in the state. And I'd say talent=facilities in their case.

As far as great coaching, great talent + great facilities = BORDEN COUNTY

As far as pure nicest facilities = HERMLEIGH

As far as FUTURE nicest facilities = Jayton (I hear it's going to be compatible to Jerry's World, 6-man style)
of course that's a joke... but their facilities will be the best in all of 6 man.
New turf field, new 8 lane track, new stadium bleachers.....

As far as BEST talent, BEST coach, WORST facilities = Richland Springs

As far as BEST atmosphere for 6 man football = Games at Valley & Games at Ira

I'm really torn.

There are a lot of great facilities. Zephyr is one of the few I've been able to go to, but it isn't on campus. I really like to see the football field next to the school.

But there are fields and facilities with character and tradition. Not the prettiest place, but a place you have to go.

I think of going to Lambeau Field in Green Bay prior to its renovation a few years back. Place looked like an Erector set gone bad; sloping asphalt in the "concorse" and few bathrooms and fewer places to avoid the cold.

Now, they have an enclosed concourse, year round atrium, and stuff. Yeah, it's nice, but it's not the tradition I was used to as a kid.

Maybe there's something to be said for old school.

Leman,

I agree I would much rather play on a grass field, but I can tell you that the past three years have not been fun. We are excited about having a good, safe surface to practice and play on. With the persistent drought there will be a lot more schools that will opt to go with turf.

Wonder Dog":3ivxm0yh said:
As far as great coaching, great talent + great facilities = BORDEN COUNTY

As far as pure nicest facilities = HERMLEIGH

As far as FUTURE nicest facilities = Jayton (I hear it's going to be compatible to Jerry's World, 6-man style)
of course that's a joke... but their facilities will be the best in all of 6 man.
New turf field, new 8 lane track, new stadium bleachers.....

As far as BEST talent, BEST coach, WORST facilities = Richland Springs

As far as BEST atmosphere for 6 man football = Games at Valley & Games at Ira

HaHaHaHa!!!
Hater!!!
HaHaHaHa!!!

I haven't been to alot of them , but best i've seen is Borden Co. I'd guess $100,000 plus concession stand. Not counting very best food prep equipment.

Sterling City looked good to me. As fans, we don't get much of a look at the dressing facilities. That would go a long way toward what I would consider the best field. Sterling has a seperate track field. I think in the long run that is a plus. The fans are closer to the field and can see the game better without the width of a track. The consession stand area is convenient to the fans. They designed the fence around the field to have five corners rather that four. The fence in front of the consession stand cuts across the end of the field by about 50 feet and has two corners. They have a stainless steel bar, or a narrow table might describe it better, attached to fence. The fans have an area that they can lean their elbows on, eat their food, visit and be watching the game all at the same time.

With a little help from Google Maps this is a sample of Six-Man stadiums in Texas.
SixmanStadiums1.jpg

Ya gotta love any accoutrement
that aide's
leaning on the fence!
jus sayin'.

And,
sixfan19 rocks!
That field montage'
is about 30% of the research right there.
Now just look up their records
and coach situations,
and you'll have answered the original question with DATA!

Sidney is my favorite so far. I have watched a game or two there and the trees surrounding the field make for a neat atmosphere. Places like Sidney, Woodson, and Walnut Springs capture what Six-Man was like until the mid 1990's at just about every school. It is still special to be able to back your truck up to the sidelines and only have a single cable separating you from the field.

Back