Texas 11 man backdown?

reddogblitz

11-man fan
Everything's bigger in Tex. a article in the Dallas paper talks about Texas high school coaches backing down from the challenge of playing IMG Academy because they fear recruiting of its players, the monopoly is about to come to an end, high school coaches within the 11 man game had bragged about the continued monopoly staying in place because of such simple things as the band and how much love they only could offer a player well now being faced with the prospect of competing for the player.

They are considering taking their ball and going home by not allowing any schools to play IMG in the future, the future contains more such academy programs, and players leaving the monopoly for brighter lights circling the wagons won't stop progress, you either can keep the player or not today's player doesn't have to ever set foot on a school campus and get to college. He can simply take on line courses just like child actors and other fringe sports participates do and train a 3rd of the day, its a new era completely .

Georgia schools have already taken this approach the wagons have circled, saying they are protecting the profession and the player from being recruited. The truth is they are more concerned about the jobs that will/could be lost the high school industry just as every other industry will see change is coming.

Just a quick update

Las Vegas Bishop Gorman, a 14-time Nevada state champion, including the past seven, spotted Cedar Hill a seven-point lead, but charged past the Longhorns 44-14.

IMG Academy kicked the life out of the Georgia school as well, and had come into Texas last season and did the same to Desoto, who was just like Cedar Hill in that it may have possibly been overrated beyond Texas state lines.

We have some good ball in this state but sometimes the hype around the teams are not what its said to be from a material standpoint.

It's a sad era. We are witnessing it with ice hockey up here in Canada. These academies are popping up all over the place, mostly fly by night operations with ex-NHL players at the helm or rep coaches looking to add more income to their already inflated club salaries. Sad part of it is, only 1 in 60,000 kids who play hockey in Canada will play at least 1 professional game. We is gonna have 59,999 dummies walking the snowy streets up here soon... HS hockey in MN is heading this way which is very sad to see.

If I were a coach in Texas, I see no reason to play IMG (or Bishop Gorman), unless they are paying our school a bunch of money (probably from having the game on tv and it is still probably only about $20k). In recent history, teams that have played IMG have seen their star players then recruited to play at IMG the following year.

Why would you play a team of all-stars where the opposing coaches are actively recruiting your parents and players while in town? Kids who don't have the skills pay full boat, but others get scholarships.

IMG is a for-profit academy that started when IMG purchased Nick Bolleteri's Tennis Academy, and added soccer and baseball academies. They have since added hockey, track/field, basketball, football... IMG is a sports management and agency. Their academies are a way to build brand loyalty with potential future clients at a young age. They are actively hunting the best players.

IMG was purchased a few years ago by William Morris Entertainment (formerly Agency) and just purchased the UFC for $4B.

Side note/Disclaimer: my wife works for WME/IMG, but not the academies.

I saw a score recently that included IMG and thought who is that? A private or Christian school? Wow.
I love football. But I can't fathom putting your kid in this program. It seems so totally opposite of the traditional High School experience. I have to wonder about the quality of education given the focus on athletics. Some parents and their kid's are recruited and accept to join this "fraternity", yet others pay to do so. Amazing. As is I guess my naiveity.

I actually know a kid playing there. Dad played for about 10 years in the NFL. Son is a top recruit for his position in the country. Just committed to Alabama.

Kid was raised outside of TX but family had to move for dad's job to Texas. Played last year in TX, but really had no connection to his team, so he went to IMG. I get it.

Now that we have a conversation on this matter in sort of a way, here is the thing the high school system of sports is not some sacred cow to be worshiped for 1000 years and reign supreme forever.

When the topic of academies came up a few years ago some of the high school coaches laughed at the concept saying they would never be challenged by such a concept, some of that mindset came from them thinking in terms of them having control of the stadiums, where they would simply throw up a weakside block to access, are no longer finding the concept laughable and its simply because this concept threaten the very existent of the in some cases over paid coach, before anyone gets upset if the coach makes over $100,000.00 and his record doesn't reflect it through wins he's overpaid.

The public and private school systems of sports are not off limits as in any other industry who has found progress when it shows up means there will be some changes, now the IMG model is I agree a little extreme in some ways but if the player and or his parents want an option they should have that. In years past the high school coach held all the cards if he and the player clashed then what was a player to do?
his options were limited I know this example doesn't apply to all but it happens, in the new era if that kid has D1 talent and is put in that situation he can now walk and his future opportunity is still in play, While I don't think IMG should be recruiting the opponent's best player there is no law against it, a toothless rule yes, its a simply understood agreement between coaches, but it happens even in the public school system within the same district sometimes, currently private schools are doing it by offering scholarships for at least two players from disadvantaged communities under the guise of a better educational opportunity.
As for the educational aspect today you can take a complete core class group online, some even offered by the Texas Education Agency itself the same agency offer charter school classes tuition free to any Texas student a campus doesn't tote the same weight it once did to students, who are simply cash flow objects to the budget in today's school system more so than years past. This academy concept is no different than the established model in that there will be some bad ones and some that offer the best complete opportunity for the player to mature as a person and athlete. One final assessment about the hockey academy while most are for players who are college bound, in Canada they do have the high school level academies age grouping, the players who attend that academy are responsible for getting the education aspect, here meaning U.S. the kid has to get the books from the educational aspect or he can't play other things can also be offered within that system to enhance the overall development of the kid as a complete person.

Just to clarify, I am not pro or con the academies. I'm not sending my kid to one (even though I'd get a discount). I am not against the free market of anyone else sending their kid to it.

I have been exposed to it for years in tennis. Bolleteri's was famous and then of course in Texas Newk's has faced the same thing as those kids go through the New Braunfels school system. There's Austin Tennis Academy and those kids mostly go to Lake Travis, but they also offer an academy-run home school option.

On a side note to the online education, there was a great article last week from the Chronicle of Higher Education entitled, The New Cheating Economy. It is behind a paywall, but somehow I read it. I think I was on campus last week, so it let me in. Fascinating read on how easy it is to cheat the online course and how well run the companies that run the cheating are.

I really don't wish bad things on anyone. But what happens to the kids that go to these all-star schools and don't make it? Does that mean we will have kids out of highschool that don't know how to do anything but play football? Also for all the families that spend all that money to send their child there for nothing. Me personally I would rather my child grow up in a tight community and learn how to make a living for their self no matter what it might be. I guess we are slowly becoming Russia.

Great link Lehman. It expresses much of my initial thoughts considering I'd never heard of Football Academies.
I wonder, does IMG pr Bishop have a homecoming, a parade, or even cheerleaders?
After Grangers comment's I think I kind of get it too. In today's society so may people more especially in the cities have little connection to a "home town", they have or do move from time to time for work, family or whatever. I also have heard of parent's who move from one perennial loosing team's town to give their kid a better chance to excel, or be a star at a more winning program, even in sixman. I guess if a kid's got talent, or the parents think he does, and sees it as his best chance of success in life, they might do anything to help him succeed.

Back