Teams that have won 75% of their games in the past 10 years

Johnny South":23jmih9f said:
51eleven":23jmih9f said:
At 91-31 Strawn is 75%.

That actually works out to 74.59%, which is under the 75% cutoff.

Round up said the teacher in the ? grade. Extend it to 11 - 12 years and it goes over. The 2 State Championships, another chance at the dance, the semi, qf add to the cutoff, for me.

51eleven":1nyn9dpl said:
Johnny South":1nyn9dpl said:
51eleven":1nyn9dpl said:
At 91-31 Strawn is 75%.

Round up said the teacher in the ? grade. Extend it to 11 - 12 years and it goes over. The 2 State Championships, another chance at the dance, the semi, qf add to the cutoff, for me.

Fiveoneoneone, I was just poking at you a little bit.

Johnny South":1ag4juuq said:
51eleven":1ag4juuq said:
Johnny South":1ag4juuq said:
51eleven":1ag4juuq said:
At 91-31 Strawn is 75%.

Fiveoneoneone, I was just poking at you a little bit.

Well Jacksouthofwhat, that's the way I took it. Anybody at this level has more good memories than bad.
I'm happy for Rochelle for making the playoff's for the 1'st time ever. Howl Hounds.

ol' gus":3hyzx53n said:
Seems like we're in agreement for the most part but research proves college grads make more money. And as a plumber and a guy who can machine parts I want to know where I should go to make more than my engineer unkle who works for Devon. You're way off on that one dude.

I'll take being self-employed every day of the week versus working for anyone. This country has fostered the worker-bee lifestyle for way too long.

I would be happy to discuss with anyone Valley's history of academic performance, other extracurricular performance, scholarship rate, or history for getting kids into college. Goes without saying, phenomenal.

rainjacktx":1wbupv4v said:
ol' gus":1wbupv4v said:
Seems like we're in agreement for the most part but research proves college grads make more money. And as a plumber and a guy who can machine parts I want to know where I should go to make more than my engineer unkle who works for Devon. You're way off on that one dude.

I'll take being self-employed every day of the week versus working for anyone. This country has fostered the worker-bee lifestyle for way too long.
I prefer a sedentary lifestyle................... Retirement fits me very well. ..................

Here are a list of the teams that have been mentioned and a few others that came to mind. The interesting thing is that out of these 11 teams, 8 of them will be playing in the 8 public school games this week.

Win percentage is the first number. Then in an effort to compare the programs based on their strength of schedule, the number at the end is a simple statistical evaluation of each team's final rankings over the past 10 years. The scale was adjusted to 0 for the lowest team on the list for evaluation purposes. I know there are other statistical methods that can be used to evaluate the rankings that may provided some re-ranking, but I found this to be one interesting perspective to study. The bottom line is that all 11 of these programs have been really strong over the past 10 years. Congratulations to them all.

95.5% Richland Springs 53
88.8% Throckmorton 47
77.9% Garden City 33
82.8% Ira 28
76.0% Valley 26
78.2% Borden Co 21
79.1% Calvert 17
69.4% Crowell 9
79.4% Abbott 6
73.4% Strawn 0
68.5% May 0

79.0% Average 22

Simple averaging of the year end rankings was not a viable method because the scaling of the rankings has changed somewhat over the past 10 years. Boerne Geneva is a strong team, but I didn't include them in the stats above since they hadn't been playing for 10 years. I hope people find other programs that should be on this list. Plus I encourage others to use different methods to evaluate the year end ratings. Thanks to Granger for keeping all of the historical records and ratings here on the website.

Fredericksburg Heritage has an impressive 78% winning percentage. But I still need year end ratings for 2006 & 2007 to make the evaluation relative to their final ratings. Can anyone help me with that?

95.5% Richland Springs 53
88.8% Throckmorton 47
77.9% Garden City 33
82.8% Ira 28
76.0% Valley 26
78.2% Borden Co 21
79.1% Calvert 17
69.4% Crowell 9
79.4% Abbott 6
73.4% Strawn 0
68.5% May 0
78.3% Fredericksburg Heritage ??

79.0% Average 22

Please send any other school that you think might fit in this group. I will try to research the info to see if they fit.

Azle Christian and Waco Live oak would easily qualify, but I know this is only Live Oaks 7th or 8th year playing. Not sure how long Azle has been playing

Not trying to be a buzz kill or anything but how many of these winning schools are sending 75% of their boys to college or trade school? Aren't athletics just a means to train kids to work hard enough to be successful in future life endeavors? I feel sorry for those that say things like making the playoffs could be the highlight of a kids life.

Not trying to be a buzz kill? well you are on this thread!
Do you feel sorry for kids who believe in Santa? there kids.
75% really, no school send that many to trade school or college.
ol'gus your just and old bag of hot air, let kids be kids life to short, not to remember to good days.
as a matter of fact have some desert tonight you might be a happier person tomorrow.

How many players on a winning team go to college or trade school is irrelevant to a team's "success."

If a community and coaching staff are using the group of boys they have in a given year as cogs in a machine to build "their" football program into a program that wins more games than it loses, then it is likely that most of those kids will not be able to experience the "success" that sports was meant to provide and that can be found in successful and unsuccessful programs.

However, if a community and coaching staff buy into the fact that all this work that we put into preparing these young men to play games is really to grow that group of boys closer to each other, and looking back now, maybe closer than they will ever be with any other group of men for the rest of their lives, so that they truly understand what it means to put others before themselves, and so that they can understand the greatness that can be accomplished by a group of unselfish people allowing each individual to use their God-given abilities to make the team as strong as it can be, then those young men will be better for those years on the gridiron than they would have been without them. Consider that to make that happen those young men will have to experience grown men of all ages consistently leading them down the right path, showing them the value of commitment, courage, toughness, diligence, persistence, physical fitness, promptness, respect for authority, respect for your opponent, unselfishness, humility, and grace. And these men can't just be their buddies out there, they are holding them accountable for their mistakes, but with each passing year they are dealing with those issues with perspective and wisdom that can only come from seeing the same mistakes being made year after year, same issue, different year, allowing those coaches to love them for who they are through good and bad times.

I don't know all the programs on the list above well, but I know several; and the ones I know on the list are mostly doing it right. Their boys would be "successful" whether they were winning or not. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that all of the boys on those teams are better off than they would have been had they not played football. They are learning things that I believe are more important than anything they are learning in the classroom and that cannot be taught in the classroom dynamic. Many of these things can only be taught in the "team" dynamic. As for the winning percentage of these teams, it doesn't hurt to teach young men how to win either. Reaching such an elite status of winning is not easy and I can guarantee you it comes with an unbelievable amount of hard work from those players and coaches. Hard working young men who know what it takes to succeed is who I want for the future of our country.

Hopefully, most of these programs are doing it right and sending out better husbands, fathers, friends, employees, employers, and citizens to wherever, colleges, the oil patch, police stations, Congress, coaching staffs, or our military. For most of those boys, their high school football experience will not be the highlight of their lives, but it will be something they will never forget and can draw on for the rest of their lives.

GSB,

I agree and sincerely thank you for communicating this so clearly and eloquently. One great thing about athletic programs and the other programs for youth is how they help teach children how to become more responsible adults.

Thanks also to all of the coaches, parents, fans and team mates that have played their part in this inspiring task. As we move into this quarterfinals round, sometimes our emotions can get out of bounds. GSB, thank you for reminding us of so many of the great benefits of this game. Let's go forward and do our part; win, lose or draw.

Back