TCAL Playoffs

I don't understand the playoff bracket. Why is it arranged so that teams in the same district play each other after they have just played?! The bracket should be arranged so that the better/ higher ranked teams don't eliminate each other in the first 2 rounds. It doesn't make since to play the same teams over again especially if they come from a stronger district. I think it would be more fun and more interesting for the players to play teams that haven't met before in the regular season.

The TCAL brackets were structured by the District Alignment and Rules Committee (DARC). The DARC put together a bracket that is consistent with the "TCAL Football Plan". The idea was to keep teams from driving hours early in the 1st two rounds (this also helps your program with Friday night playoff games as per your schools request). Last year we had teams competing from the far north against the far south in the 1st round. This is why the DARC decided to have a North Bracket and a South Bracket. We knew that there would be challenges with any bracket and sure enough, here they are.

The DARC is made up of private school, charter school and home school coaches. The DARC meets via phone conference and supports the Football Commissioner with their recommendations.

I would hope that all TCAL schools and programs would support their league in the decisions made, especially by committee. Any TCAL coach is eligible to sit on the DARC and hopefully TCAL will draw in some of the concerned parties in the future.

Thanks for your concerns and the support that your school gives TCAL!

Blessings to all in the post season!

Thanks. That makes more sense to me now. Please know that my question was mine alone and not on behalf of LOCS or our wonderful Head of School. I am but a humble fan. Also my question was not meant to suggest lack of confidence in TCAL's planning. It just seemed odd at first glance that Tomball and Baytown were playing each other so early when they are both great teams and just played last night. Seemed unfortunate that one would have to eliminate the other so soon. But I guess all will be eliminated except one before its over.

Politics- Its funny how FEAST is set up nicely for the second year. easy first round game against EP Faith who has won 3 games this year. Then they don't have to play a Tomball or Baytown. Then they play San Marcos whom they were pretty competive would 50-37. and feel they could beat. Plenty of game film and good coaching they feel they could pull off the upset.The center of TCAL and decisions being made are in central texas. year after year Tomball and Baytown have to beat each other through the first round. It makes no sense! Good Luck to Tomball and Baytown I hope one of you goes on the play Waco in the final. I am sure there will be some scripted reponsed to this reply but thats Ok.

Just so you will know 85...there are members from Baytown, Waco and Ft Worth on the committee that structured that bracket.

Also, DI coaches were impartial in the decisions made with who plays the "At Large" teams.

TCAL is expanding across our great state and we are seeking the Lord for more men and women to join our leadership teams. Hopefully people on this site will be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Have a great day!

I think the fix is to switch San Marcos and Baytown in the brackets. Tomball has 9 win this season Baytown has 7 wins, Feast has 5 wins El Paso has 3 wins San Marcos has 5 wins. It does not make sense to have Baytown and Tomball play right off the bat. If you go to TCAL website under football the wall paper is FEAST winning the state championship 2 years ago! didn't west columbia win the championship last year? There are two pictures posted of the game between west columbia and feast in the championship game but the wall paper implies that feast won. but we might want to check with feast first to see if it ok to change the wall paper. just saying

To help you understand the structure a little better; the brackets were drawn to keep teams from traveling great distances in the first round.

Last year many teams voiced their concerns about traveling half way across the state in the first round. If you switch one bracket for match up purposes, them you must change them all. Consistency is what we are looking for, not to give FEAST an easy ride. And just for the record, FEAST is only pro TCAL in 2 sports, they play independent in the other 5 or 6 sports that they play (for national purposes). I will let the web site guy know you would like the background changed:).

85, are you a student in a TCAL school?

I thought the reason District Runner Ups were added to the playoff mix was to give a chance to the 2nd place teams that were really good teams competing in a tough district. This way, a good team might still end up in the state championship. If you are going to have the 1st and 2nd place teams play each other again in the first round, there is no reason to have them in the playoffs. By beating Tomball Friday night, Baytown won their district. Now they have to win it again. What advantage or reward did they get by winning district? Tomball and Baytown should each be playing a team in another side of the bracket. Baytown and Tomball should not meet up in the playoffs until the finals, if either make it that far. When a team makes the playoffs, it is understood they will have to travel to the field of the higher seeded team. That's what state playoffs are all about.

Who does everyone have? On one side of the bracket you have all of district 3 and THESA, while on the other side it is wide open between San Marcos, Baytown and Tomball.
I think Live Oak is the favorite, but you never know in the playoffs

Cougar85, have you checked the schedules of all teams involved. You are looking at wins and losses, not teams played or who they lost to. EP Faith Christian three wins, and five losses against pretty good public school teams. All five; then played one of the weaker public school teams for a second time and beat them by 43 or 44 points.
Check the schedules... Look forward to seeing you at the Feast game in Garden City.

Coaches and fans,
The playoff bracket has been in place for quite a while. Many people who are complaining actually had representation at the DARC meetings. In our 4 years as a member of TCAL, we have heard the allegations of favoritism in every sport we have participated, and it has not been isolated to one team. TCAL leaders are kind and caring people, and I've been there as they try to best accomodate everyone. Check many school's websites (ours included) and see how up to date are the pictures. "You can please some of the people some of the time." As Commissioner Helm says, "become part of the solution."

They need to change
the rankings just came out and there was a lot of movment through the top 8
Tomball is #4 Baytown jumps to #3 from number 6
3 and 4 battle it out for semi
while 5,6 and 8 battle for other semi. wow bracket doesnt seem like it worked?

I guess TCAL should have waiting till final rankings come out like most do
the canned reponse is that tcal also uses the maxpreps ranking and sense they wont be updated for a while the committee has decided to base it on traveling?
There are only 11 teams in the playoffs? everybody has to traveling. They need to change!

TCAL you have the opportunity to get it right! to the right thing and place the top 4 teams apart so that they have an opportunity to play each other only in the semifinals

The brackets are set and will not change.

We are doing what we said we would do last spring as the DARC put together this years football plan. Consistency is important for the integrity of our league. Changing things to please bloggers is not what we are about. The DARC will review the brackets later this spring and amend any necessary adjustments to next seasons plan.

Good luck to everyone in the post season!

cougar85":2rvaj7bl said:
flypattern- only the DARC committee knows? my guess it remains the same

They should stay the same. You have spent the entire day complaining about the same topic. The barckets are set and they are not going to change. No matter how the brackets would have been set up someone would have been unhappy. The only mistake that TCAL can make now is changing the bracket to please you. Because as soon as they do make a change someone else will be unhappy. The DARC worked hard on all the entire football plan. It may not be perfect but it is a lot better then it was before. I also believe next year it will be better then this year. So instead of spending a nice Sunday crying about the bracket and trying to bring down TCAL maybe you should go get ready for the playoffs so that you can prove on the field that your team is the better team. I personally like the bracket. I would like to thank TCAL and the DARC for doing a great job this season.

I think 85 must be from Baytown and afraid that they can't beat Tomball again. :/

Brackets look fine. Both Baytown and Tomball have a 1st round bye.

spread14":2e9nqtis said:
cougar85":2e9nqtis said:
flypattern- only the DARC committee knows? my guess it remains the same

They should stay the same. You have spent the entire day complaining about the same topic.............

Would you like to borrow this? I've found it comes in quite handy around here........................
1000x500px-LL-5af8a1d2_523ac920_beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Back