TCAF Schools

Being a small school, I can only comment on the teams we've played. We played Faustina on Friday night and they played really hard through out the night. David had three kids out with academics and I am sure they will do fine when they get those guys back. We get Weatherford this week for our first district game. Glenview looks real good!! Their new field is coming along really fast. Good job Jesse! They went ot SA and beat TLC by 45. They are an experienced squad in the playoffs and they do fine. We really need more small school teams that want to play in a league that is unashamedly CHRISTIAN!!! If we get a few more of the teams that are inquiring, it could be a banner year for TCAF next year. Don Markum and Corey are really working hard.

What is the difference in "Christian" football and non-Christian football? Your remarks seem to be a slight against those schools in TAPPS that consider themselves to be Christian. I guess they don't meet your standards. Please don't be too judgemental about all these other schools. It is attitudes like this that keep us from being unified as private schools against the power and prejudice of the UIL.

Has nothing to do with football. It has to do with a league that allows those of us that are trying to teach our athletes that Jesus Christ was our ultimate example to follow His lead and act, play and live like Jesus in every arena. This is a TCAF forum and if those in TAPPS feel different then so be it. I will echo the comments form on of our league meetings, that the non-christian schools many times have less issues with things than do the Christian schools. No offense taken, it is simply my opinion and I have that right just as you do as well.

lbowles":1bsvrg2a said:
What is the difference in "Christian" football and non-Christian football? Your remarks seem to be a slight against those schools in TAPPS that consider themselves to be Christian. I guess they don't meet your standards. Please don't be too judgemental about all these other schools. It is attitudes like this that keep us from being unified as private schools against the power and prejudice of the UIL.

Well, friend. ... there could be an attitude as I heard expressed by one of the smaller leagues who decided to accept a publicly funded charter school as a member ... one of the league big wigs said that they were more of a Christian School than a Catholic School (which would not be allowed in their league).

Of course, charter schools cannot teach religious education as our public school friends. And some hiring and enrollment decisions that we make in Christian schools cannot be made in public/charter schools. But that's a fight for another day.

Last time I was at a TAPPS event, I must have missed the wild, crazy, hedonistic parties. I saw a bunch of schools, primarily Christian (but some of other faiths and some with a secular focus), praying before and after games and doing a fairly decent job of acting like good solid citizens. Yes, there are some bad actors (and guess what, they're also in the other leagues), but that's what we get for hanging around with other human beings.

Whadda that Guy in the Bible say, "Let he without sin cast the first big ol' rock," or something like that? My copy's in the car, and I ain't gonna run out there to check it for this message.

I heard a theologican once say, "I invite you to continue to search for the perfect church. And when you find that perfect church, I invite you to join it. But remember, once you join, it ceases to be perfect."

To each his own, I guess.

But whadda I know.

John

PS I remember a coaching friend of mine telling a story about a Baylor DL a number of years ago. The kid was also an ordained Baptist minister and had a pretty good reputation for being a tough, hard player, always ready to slam his opponent into the turf.

One game, his opponent says, "Hey, you're a minister. Why don't you act it on the field?"

The guy says, "Well, in the Bible, it says 'The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth,' I'm just doing the Lord's work with you."

JOHN - I MADE A STATEMENT THAT WE ARE UNASHAMEDLY CHRISTIAN. I DIDN'T CALL TAPPS OR ANY OTHER ORGANAZATION TO TASK. I WAS ONLY COMMENTING ON OUR LEAGUE. HOW YOU OR LBOWLES DECIDES TO VIEW THAT STATEMENT IS FOR SURE UP TO YOU GUYS. I NEVER POINTED ANY FINGERS AT ANYONE OR ANY OTHER LEAGUES. I RE-ITERRATE MY POINT - YOU GUYS KEEP BRINGING TAPPS INTO A TCAF CONVERSATION. WE HAVE PERSONALLY PLAYED AGAINST SEVERAL NON-CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS THIS YEAR AND THEIR ATTITUDES HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN SEVERAL "CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS" THAT WE PLAYED. THE TAPPS SCHOOLS WE HAVE PLAYED OR SCRIMMAGED HAVE BEEN VERY GOOD SCHOOLS TO COMPETE AGAINST.

pastormiles":izo5r052 said:
JOHN - I MADE A STATEMENT THAT WE ARE UNASHAMEDLY CHRISTIAN. I DIDN'T CALL TAPPS OR ANY OTHER ORGANAZATION TO TASK. I WAS ONLY COMMENTING ON OUR LEAGUE. HOW YOU OR LBOWLES DECIDES TO VIEW THAT STATEMENT IS FOR SURE UP TO YOU GUYS. I NEVER POINTED ANY FINGERS AT ANYONE OR ANY OTHER LEAGUES. I RE-ITERRATE MY POINT - YOU GUYS KEEP BRINGING TAPPS INTO A TCAF CONVERSATION. WE HAVE PERSONALLY PLAYED AGAINST SEVERAL NON-CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS THIS YEAR AND THEIR ATTITUDES HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN SEVERAL "CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS" THAT WE PLAYED. THE TAPPS SCHOOLS WE HAVE PLAYED OR SCRIMMAGED HAVE BEEN VERY GOOD SCHOOLS TO COMPETE AGAINST.

Pastor ... And I apologize for any feeling that there is fingers pointed. I guess some of us get a little miffed when our Christianity is questioned (or we feel it's been questioned).

I will agree that I've seen better "Christian" attitudes shown by non-Christian schools than Christian schools, and sometimes, the school I was associated with was in the poorer-behaved category. Sometimes, I think it's easy to as they say, "believe your press clippings" about your Christianity that it's easy to be like that Pharisee in the front row of the church, telling God how much better he is than that lowly tax collector in the back row. And the mirrors at my house remind me that I'm as guilty of that as others.

What gets me is how some "Christian" schools are happy and willing to beat you 80-0 at halftime, but when you win 55-6 in the fourth quarter, they'll talk about how "un-Christian" you are by running up the score. I can site things that go back 30+ years in my life and experience in Christian/private school sports, so it's not new occurence. (Oh, and I've been involved in being on BOTH sides of the whupping and getting whupped. And when momma and daddy come to me and complain, my answer is, we've been on both sides -- and chances are, your kids will forget it quicker than we will; that's not to say I'll go out of my way and schedule a game that is obviously non-competitive, but routs happen especially with smaller schools).

TAPPS has taken some pretty serious steps to improve sportsmanship among its schools (and I understand TCAF is making similar moves). Both groups have great schools, I just wish we could all do it together, but hey, whadda I know.

John

John - I do apologize if it seemed I was trying to put one league above another. I do wish that all our brethren would consider all factors in our sports programs. We got forty-fived several times last year and it is never fun. After one such beating I asked the Coach his goal in doing that. He explained that it was a non-conference game and that he just wanted he players to get some action against other people. He said that his goal was to get it over with at the half, without injuries. having a much better team this year, I understand what he was trying to do and I now sympathize with him. I think everyone needs to look at both sides of the record. Next year, it may be much different for us.

Mike- Your boys are some of the classiest kids we've played against this year. You have built a great program over there...there's no shame in 45'ing a team at the half. Your job is to score, it's my job to stop you.

John- Here's a funny Christian school story...prior to teaching at a non-sectarian school, I coached at another local private Christian school. I had a player come to me once and ask what church I went to. When I told him that I went to a Lutheran church, he asked me what a Lutheran was. I said something to the effect of "kinda like being Catholic without all the crossing and the Pope..." He replied, "so you're not a Christian because Catholic's aren't Christian's are they?" Funny, but sad.

I too wish we could all be under the same umbrella...

FalconCoach":1o3e2uhj said:
Mike- Your boys are some of the classiest kids we've played against this year. You have built a great program over there...there's no shame in 45'ing a team at the half. Your job is to score, it's my job to stop you.

John- Here's a funny Christian school story...prior to teaching at a non-sectarian school, I coached at another local private Christian school. I had a player come to me once and ask what church I went to. When I told him that I went to a Lutheran church, he asked me what a Lutheran was. I said something to the effect of "kinda like being Catholic without all the crossing and the Pope..." He replied, "so you're not a Christian because Catholic's aren't Christian's are they?" Funny, but sad.

I too wish we could all be under the same umbrella...

Maybe I can top that. Maybe not.

A couple weeks ago, I'm at a game. Early second quarter, one of the fans (a lady) screams, "Coach, Run the Hail Mary Play." Another parent (also a lady), says something like "Mary was a vessel, just like me." I'm trying to keep from rolling on the field in laughter, first thinking about why would you run the "Hail Mary" play that early in the game, and second having two fans get into a theology argument over a football play.

Speaking from a Catholic upbringing, it's too bad that the things we disagree on are small compared to what we do agree on. Okay, I'm stopping, because this is NOT the place to get into those discussions.

Back