TAPPS D2 Wildcard projections

freeagent

Six-man pro
The first and second place teams from each of the five districts have an automatic berth in the playoff brackets.

Six "at-large" teams, based on Wildcard points will be added to the field. These are third and fourth place teams (a fourth place team in a four team district is not eligible) and even if you're the fourth place team and the third place team in your district has fewer wildcard points, you can't jump over them and take a playoff spot over them.

So, here's what I see -- all of this is speculation and I could be wrong:

District 1:
Plainview Christian 9 points, plays El Paso Jesus Chapel (possible 12 points with win)
El Paso Jesus Chapel 0 points, plays Plainview Christian (possible 3 points with win)

District 2 (either BVL or HCTA winner make it as the 2nd place team):
Brownwood Victory Life, 13 points, plays Granbury NCTA (possible 16 points with win)
Granbury NCTA, 14 points, plays Brownwood Victory Life (possible 17 points with win)
Wichita Falls Wichita Christian, 14 points -- season complete

District 4:
Fredericksburg Heritage, 16 points, plays Selma River City Believers (possible 19 points with win)
Selma River City Believers, 16 points, plays Fredericksburg Heritage (possible 19 points with win)

District 5:
Magnolia Legacy Prep, 10 points, plays Orange Community Christian (possible 13 points with win)
Orange Community Christian, 20 points, plays Magnolia Legacy (possible 23 points with win)

Here's my guess; I think spots #1 to #5 are pretty definite.

1. Orange Community Christian with 20 or 23 points
2. Fredericksburg Heritage/Selma River City Believers winner with 19 points
3. Fredericksburg Heritage/Selma River City Believers loser with 16 points
4. Brownwood Victory Life/Granbury NCTA loser with 13 (BVL) or 14 (NCTA) points; winner is #2 seed (3rd Place, district 2)
5. Wichita Falls Wichita Christian with 14 points (4th Place, district 2)
6. Depends on a couple results:
If Magnolia Legacy Prep wins over Orange Community Christian, they should be in with 13 points.
If Magnolia Legacy Prep loses and Plainview Christian wins, Plainview should be in with 12 points.
If both Magnolia Legacy Prep and Plainview Christian loses, Magnolia should be in with 10 points

However, as of 1045 am Thursday, Plainview Christian has not entered the wild card points for those two wins.

There is a possibility that Plainview Christian/El Paso Jesus Chapel winner could jump over 4th place teams with more points because that team would be a 3rd place team. Let me check on it.

Do you think so? To me I see Wcs, Vla, selma, orange, magno, and Freddy as wild cards. I don't see it any other way. I could be wrong. What are your thoughts?

FultonFootball":1f6rov7f said:
Do you think so? To me I see Wcs, Vla, selma, orange, magno, and Freddy as wild cards. I don't see it any other way. I could be wrong. What are your thoughts?

Only question is if TAPPS takes all third place teams before they take any fourth place teams, which would put either El Paso Jesus Chapel or Plainview Christian into the field. Otherwise, I agree with you on your choices (assuming NCTA beats Victory Life).

Or if Magnolia Legacy and Plainview Christian both end up with 10 points, again, I think they would take a third place team over a fourth place team.

But whadda I know.

True. Vla hasn't played ncta. My apologies!! That is a good question, but I'm not sure. Must reward teams that are winning and District 2 teams are winning. My opinion. Who knows.

freeagent":3l72lp0c said:
There is a possibility that Plainview Christian/El Paso Jesus Chapel winner could jump over 4th place teams with more points because that team would be a 3rd place team. Let me check on it.

Checked on this ... a 4th place team from another district with more points would be chosen over a 3rd place team from another district with fewer points (but a fourth place team cannot jump ahead of a third place team in the SAME district).

So, this would effectively knock El Paso Jesus Chapel out of the playoff picture.

Couple of fixes on the original post ... my count is that Plainview Christian has 9 WCP (5 vs Lubbock Harmony, UIL D1 and 4 vs Lazbuddie, UIL D2); Orange Community only shows 20 points currently.

Makes the sixth wildcard slot basically Plainview Christian's to win. A Plainview win should put them in or a loss by both Plainview and Magnolia would also put Plainview into the field. Magnolia Legacy needs a win over Orange Community Christian AND a Plainview loss to El Paso Jesus Chapel to put them in.

However, at 1045 am Thursday, Plainview Christian hasn't entered those WCP into TAPPSter. The wins are there, but not the wild card points.

Just learned that TAPPS does not award Wildcard points for a forfeited game, so Plainview is at 5 points.

Best they can do with a win is 8, so that means that Magnolia, win or lose, should have the last wildcard spot. Somebody from the south (a wildcard team) is probably going to have to go north ... my bet is that it will be Heritage, since they are the farthest north of all the "south" teams.

How about a Lifegate - Heritage rematch in Zephyr? Could happen.

How about a Lifegate - Heritage rematch in Zephyr? Could happen.

I don't know anything about TAPPS history, and I do know anything can happen on any given .........Friday night/Saturday, but would that be usual or normal for two teams with a combined 9 losses in the regular season to meet in the State Finals game?

Not really, because TAPPS has made the decision to reward teams for playing UIL teams basically. So now TAPPS schools pre-district matches often involved D1 uil schools, and could suffer quite a few loses. It's made the pre-district games nearly as vital as district matches. So, it's not surprise to see quality teams like that have 4 or 5 loses.

Back