Sterling City Coach and AD

I have closely tracked HC changes in Six-Man for the last four or five years. There have been quite a few. Matter of fact, there are about 30-35 every year. I think one year there was right at 40.

This particular change, and I know nothing, shocks me.

Don Hardin
Abilene

You know, it is just amazing how all of the changes take place without anyone even knowing about it. It reminds me of the old Hogan's Heroes show when Sergeant Schultz always said "I know Nu-think!

donhardin":1jxmmtqm said:
I have closely tracked HC changes in Six-Man for the last four or five years. There have been quite a few. Matter of fact, there are about 30-35 every year. I think one year there was right at 40.

Changes at small schools are common. Lots of reasons. Pay, location, personalities, time to retire, hey, just the it's time to move. School districts (and private schools) close, sports are dropped, stuff happens.

Some changes are suprises, some aren't.

For example, I was told in TAPPS (about 225 schools, anywhere from 20 kids to 1000 kids) there were 58 new athletic directors. And additional changes DURING the school year.

Just speculating here but you think it may have something to do with the recent oil boom in that area? I've read that Sterling City, Big Spring, Big Lake, etc. should receive a large influx of families in the next year or two. I know San Angelo is bracing for a population increase in a big way. You think Sterling City might be thinking 11-man? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only spit-balling here. Heck, I like having Sterling City in the district. They have a great rivalry with Garden City, Robert Lee and the WV not to mention they just built that nice new stadium specifically for 6-man. I'm just wondering if they are looking down the road a couple of years (which would be prudent on their part) and seeing 11-man numbers. Anyone else think that might have something to do with it or am I just way off base here?

WV Backer":1cc865pd said:
Just speculating here but you think it may have something to do with the recent oil boom in that area? I've read that Sterling City, Big Spring, Big Lake, etc. should receive a large influx of families in the next year or two. I know San Angelo is bracing for a population increase in a big way. You think Sterling City might be thinking 11-man? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only spit-balling here. Heck, I like having Sterling City in the district. They have a great rivalry with Garden City, Robert Lee and the WV not to mention they just built that nice new stadium specifically for 6-man. I'm just wondering if they are looking down the road a couple of years (which would be prudent on their part) and seeing 11-man numbers. Anyone else think that might have something to do with it or am I just way off base here?

Not sure how it's playing out in Western Texas, but the towns in the Eagle Ford oil/gas shale area south of here aren't seeing an influx of families. Perhaps there are some moving into metro areas (San Antonio, perhaps) as the larger companies are setting up their executive and back-office functions here. Housing is going out of the roof and in fact, there was an article in the San Antonio paper today about how some families not working in the oil business (for example, those working at the state prison in Kenedy; about 1/3-1/4 of the cells are empty because of low staffing; five years ago, those were the choice jobs in that community) are picking up and moving out once their lease is up for renewal and the price triples.

Carrizo Springs, which used to be among the poorest places you could be in Texas (well, there is Crystal City, which is even more of a dump, but I digress...) , is building a new high school and setting up a trailer park for its teachers who no longer can afford to live anywhere within 50 miles of the town. The Supt. was quoted as saying the district was a poor district for over 38 years and all of a sudden in the last 2 it's among the richer districts.

Families aren't just moving to those towns. Most of the oil field workers are on 14 day on-14 day off contracts.

You may be right lifegate. I worked in the oilfields around Sterling City back in the early 80's but don't have any connection to it anymore. I just hear that they are building like crazy here in San Angelo and the houses are being bought as fast as they can build them. I'd just as soon Sterling City stayed 6-man but they are going to miss Coach Parham if he has gone. I clicked on the link and it says Athletic Director/Coach - I assume that is the head coach but I don't know for sure.

The oil boom has been going on around GC and Rankin for a few years now, and from what I see , not that many have moved there. Most have been staying in Midland, Big Lake, Odessa, and Big Spring.

:)
Nope......
When I was in Angelo in January, the whole town was buzzing about the wave of oil field boom washing over them in the next 6 months. My brother tols me that if you can find one, a hotel room in Midland/Odessa weas going for $400 a night. Big Spring was almost as bad. One of my cousins in Big Lake is making a killing turning over some of his property into a RV park.

donhardin":1mmaj0fn said:

This particular change, and I know nothing, shocks me.

Don Hardin
Abilene

So, does anyone know for sure if maybe this was Don's last post on this board?

Back