State Games for UIL to Dallas!!

Just thought of this : if playing in Cowboy stadium is good enough for some skinny kid from Kerrville, Texas to play in it sure as the devil is good enough for the kids involved in sixman football.
peace n love

What a great deal it would be for the Six-Man community to play the State Games in a real stadium! Arlington, Houston, San Antonio would all be so much better than in Abilene. I vote for it.
There are going to be a few things that will have to factor into the process of playing the same week as all other classifications.

1. When would the games be played? I would guess our games would have to be on Wednesday. If we keep our season scheduled as they are now I guess we would have an extra week. Ten days between Semi and State wouldn't be all that bad.
2. Paid parking ? I can save enough between now and then for parking. Best I remember that cost has been $10.00.
3. Hot Dogs and Cokes may be a little more expensive. If you are a true fan, expenses are no problem.
4. Real Television? DVR can be used to record the games I guess. Most likely I will be working that day, it being in the middle of the week. I might could get to the late game. Wait a minute! I wouldn't have to pay for parking and I can probably buy my snacks cheaper in Abilene than any of those three real stadiums.

Listen to me. I am talking like this is all about me. This is for the kids to have an opprotunity to play on the biggest stage possible and to draw in all those big city folks that don't know about our sport. I vote for it. What we need to do is get us a promoter. Maybe jugglers and a few elephants, clowns and a high wire act. There you go. The circus is coming to Jerry's World along with Six-Man Football. You can't beat that. See you in Arlington if I can get off.

Don Hardin
Abilene
"Used to be Six-Man Central"

This conversation came up with our team this year (of course, a lot of conversations came up about this new brand of football we were playing). Our kids have never been to really big stadiums. They were excited to see how big Shotwell was when they saw the games on the net, and they were excited to see the 1A, 11-man games being played at Jerry World. They couldn't believe that some games were being played at 12 noon, though.

We came to one conclusion: if a state championship was on the line, we didn't care where the game was, or what time of day it was played. It was for a state championship, and that was what was important. I agreed with the boys. If a ring is on the line, we would be excited and ready to play.

I then asked them if they had a choice in the matter, where would they like to play......they said "Cowboy Stadium....by far!" We vote for them.

Just my $.02.

Don,
From what that letter stated we would have our own weekend still. As of now when we play, I believe, the only other state game is a 3A game . So we still would be playing on a Saturday.

jc_30":psmubeqc said:
Don,
From what that letter stated we would have our own weekend still. As of now when we play, I believe, the only other state game is a 3A game . So we still would be playing on a Saturday.

Not sure if it happens in 2013 or 2014, but I think 3A may be taking four teams (instead of current three) and would play its championship a week later.

Having the finals at Cowboy Stadium would likely increase the cost to fans. This could prevent some people from going. However, it would be great for players. Few, if any, will ever have an opportunity to play in an NFL stadium. Sixman players deserve them same opportunities as 11 man players.
Regardless of the location chosen, the field should be marked for sixman!

I feel like the exposure in itself is worth it. Not that we need it, but it would almost be like a validation that we are a serious sport in the state of Texas. If the games played in FSN like the other state games then a whole other level of audience is reached. I work at a gym, and we had the 11man state games playing on our big screen as you walk in, and I couldn't even tell you how many people would stop to watch it just cause it was football.
Plus if you tell a parent that by playing in jerry world and on TV that there might be even the slightest chance that their kid would be noticed by some college coach, and I guarantee they would be on board.

as far as the kids they are the ones that work so hard and are why i watch.. i think that they should not ever have to play on an eleven man marked field. this is usually only in the playoffs when the have proven themselves then to have issuses regarding the outof bound markers to me makes no since at all. the refs do the best that they can but every yes every game that i have watched marked with eleven and sixman football has resulted in call issues.......
back to the kids i dont care for jerry jones but you have to say he is definately a ringmaster... and i think it would be grand to have the boys on the best field that can be for our championship...
i want to give a great big at a boy to all the radio stations that travel and at home that cover the games for the little towns in texas
i know private schools play and i like watching them as well but to me its a totally differant game due to the number of kids they have to choose from we have a school we play most every year and we win most of the time but we had 54 kids in highschool this last year they had 150+ close to 3 times the students hmmm

well im thankfull that 6man is available for little schools.... it has the stigma as being a game that is mostly pass and for smaller faster kids but its not always,,, i like seeing the big boys compete.

so to stop my rambling do what is best for the kids..

It's ok as long as they dont schedule our games before noon on any day. Playing football before dark is challenging enough, imagine an 8 or 10 a.m. start. ):
If it is true, and I haven't verified whether we would have to wait an extra week, the games could be played on Wed., but some would not appreciate that night for religious reasons. And to be honest I would be one of those.
Football on Tuesday, anyone?

As a player I was taught to keep my eyes and focus on the ball and not what was going on in the stands or even on the sideline, so I stay with that to a great degree even as a coach. I'm not going to allow controversy over playoff locations unless it is a distinct disadvantage for my boys, therefore I'm just not feeling this rationale. I'd play the game on a sandlot.

We can get a full dose of JJs stadium the same way most folks do it...attend the games.

BE":22oa7tzp said:
Football on Tuesday, anyone?

You know, this isn't such a bad idea. Play the finals on a Tuesday night before the week 16 finals ... you'd have about 10 days between semifinals and the championships. Games at 5 and 8 pm?

And, as far as playing on an 11man field....I truly believe our "good Mr. jones" could afford a sixman turf field to put in that week. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing the "cowboys logo" on the field when the UIL games were there this year.....I could be wrong, though.

I have no problem with the games being played at abiliene. However, I too feel like the bigger the stage the more people you bring to the show. Playing in Jerrys world would definitely have a lifetime impact on any kid and in my opinion a huge impact on the six man community. I think it would be a great idea and I would hope the six man community would see it a benefit for the kids as wel as the game that we love. Just my two cents.

No doubt Jerry's World would be awesome.

As an ex-six man player and coach, the one thing I think is hurting six-man is too many of the really good teams dont play each other.....It is very difficult to find good high quality games to go see. Too many games end by 45 point rule. Promote the sport by playing top teams against each other.

Edward, just a thought. A lot of teams tend to not want to play the elite during regular season. Some coaches might think that they will meet these people in the playoffs and it is hard to beat someone twice, so why not wait till it counts. Also, if you play against too many, you risk injury. A coach several years ago had gone deep in playoffs and the next year took on all comers and ended up losing some key folks and did not go but one round deep. I realize fans like to see the Throcks and Richland Springs play and this is good, but sometimes you have to do what is best for your team. I know personally of a situation a number of years ago where a coach inherited a schedule that included four out of 6 best teams in state. His kids were not used to playing a that level and after losing a couple did not do as well as they might. Just throwing out some senile thoughts.

Actually,
we'd have to move way out west
to see any "elite" teams play at all.
Jus ask Backer and his boys.
They'll tell ya'. ;)

Back