Sleeping Giant

Schwarzenegger

11-man fan
What programs out there do you consider is a sleeping giant. I mean a school that has the potential to be a year in and year out power house? I mean all it takes is the right coach to wake it up!

Essentially any school that will let a coach build for as long as it takes. UCLA gave John Wooden 16 yrs. to get going and after that it went pretty well.

I'm going to go out and say Veribest. Maybe not become a "power house" but will have a pretty good couple of years compared the previous.

loveofgame":1ymyhqcp said:
I'm going to go out and say Veribest. Maybe not become a "power house" but will have a pretty good couple of years compared the previous.

I always felt like Veribest had potential to become good. I mean their not to far from San Angelo, don't see how they couldn't get a couple of transfers out that way. These are the schools I think that have potential to become great

Whiteface
Whitedeer
Rotan
Paducah
Trent

They seem to do pretty darn good with the coaches they have and have had in the past! Some of you guys seem to think a good coach will make all of the difference in a program. It is true to a point, a good coach will bring and instill a work ethic in team that will get them into the playoffs most years. But, it is the talent on the team that will put them over the top on a playoff run.

Blue Bird":150sptt1 said:
They seem to do pretty darn good with the coaches they have and have had in the past! Some of you guys seem to think a good coach will make all of the difference in a program. It is true to a point, a good coach will bring and instill a work ethic in team that will get them into the playoffs most years. But, it is the talent on the team that will put them over the top on a playoff run.
So true about Calvert. I think the 80/20 rule applies to sixman success too. The coach only inputs 20% (at best) and 80% of all else is on the back of the boys. Boys either follow the game/workout plans and get better or not. Sometimes a team has 1 or 2 naturally gifted boys so who can get credit for that? There are many schools that didn't win a game last year so if they win 1 this year you consider that an awakening.

Code:
 always felt like Veribest had potential to become good. I mean their not to far from San Angelo, don't see how they couldn't get a couple of transfers out that way. These are the schools I think that have potential to become great

Some of the Angelo refugees need to go east instead of west towards WV.......

5chains":3i657t8u said:
A team like Calvert good teams every year good athletes imagine what they could do with some of these top sixman coaches.

It amazes me when people think a school has such good "athletes" It is so easy to say a team should be successful based on what a kid looks like or what color their skin is.
People have no idea what it is like to coach at Calvert or any other school that has these supposive "athletes"

You have no idea what the kids at Calvert are like and what the coaches deal with.

What 6-man coaches do you think would go to Calvert and all of a sudden they would be unstoppable?
Someone call Coach Wortham and tell him he is a bad coach and he doesnt know what he is doing.

Calvert has a cutting edge coach as we speak, brother. Make no mistake. His successes are proof. Watch film to be better informed.

I am not commenting on the coaching segment of your question. There are great coaches at the schools I am listing, or they are looking. My picks are comments on just the "new kids on the block" potential for 2015.

Mt. Calm
Hermleigh
Paducah
Santa Anna
Bronte :) (I know)

I agree that most of it has to do with the players. The coach can only do so much, without any kind of athleticism a team can never reach the potential to be a real contender no matter how good the coach. Also for a team to become a giant i believe they have to a school that would make athletes want to come and play there.

You may be right on with the 80/20 players to coaching assertion. Sometimes I think it is generally relative, though. I'll give some examples. In 1960 Gordon Wood headed to Brownwood with a disappointed heart. He had been assured that the San Angelo job was his, then upon arrival found it was not. The 1959 Lion season was mediocre...something like 6-4, might have been 8-2. Not sure and cant find my copy of his book. I remember they didn't make the playoffs. Anyway, that first year, 1960 he won the AAA state championship. That may have been his third championship in a row, two previous at Stamford.

In 1999 Doyle Clawson took an RS team with a similar record as Brownwood's, and drove all the way to the semi-finals, losing to Gordon, the eventual champion. Seems like Lee did something much the same as Brownwood his first year at Strawn in 2003. ): ( loathe you Dwaine, and hope I misspelled your name) Don't know the Greyhound's 2002 slate.
There are many more similar stories. Point is sometimes the situation is for some reason a coach comes in to a less than exciting opportunity, on paper, and turns them into a contender, a champion even, right away.

Sometimes a dandy coach can make all the difference in the world.

P.S.: Lee just got lucky. :)

...for a team to become a giant i believe they have to (be)a school that would make athletes.[/quote]
In this instant gratis era, building an athlete is becoming a lost art.

I feel like schools that are surrounded by bigger towns have an advantage to become better. For the fact once kids see teams winning they want to be apart of it, and so they will transfer to that school.

Back