Sixman Towns with Colleges ?

Longhorn85

Six-man fan
So I spent a bit of time at “what was called then” ,. Ranger Junior College .. which became Ranger College .. a part of the Tarleton system.

I am just curious how many other 6man towns currently have college universities ?

I know this happens when towns tend to shrink because of jobs and such available ,, but the college still supports the area.

Stephenville, home of Tarleton has Stephenville Faith. Not UIL but repeat state champs a few years back. Not what many of us would think of as a sixman town maybe.

Chat GPT answer …

Here is a list of 30 small Texas towns that have a junior college or community college:

1. Ranger – Ranger College
2. Clarendon – Clarendon College
3. Big Spring – Howard College
4. Brenham – Blinn College
5. Athens – Trinity Valley Community College
6. Levelland – South Plains College
7. Hillsboro – Hill College
8. Borger – Frank Phillips College
9. Snyder – Western Texas College
10. Corsicana – Navarro College
11. Gainesville – North Central Texas College
12. Kilgore – Kilgore College
13. Paris – Paris Junior College
14. Alvin – Alvin Community College
15. Jacksonville – Jacksonville College
16. Vernon – Vernon College
17. Beeville – Coastal Bend College
18. McKinney – Collin College
19. Wharton – Wharton County Junior College
20. Palestine – Trinity Valley Community College
21. Texarkana – Texarkana College
22. Sweetwater – Texas State Technical College
23. Lufkin – Angelina College
24. Uvalde – Southwest Texas Junior College
25. El Campo – Wharton County Junior College (satellite campus)
26. Snyder – Western Texas College
27. Mount Pleasant – Northeast Texas Community College
28. Port Arthur – Lamar State College Port Arthur
29. Brownwood – Ranger College (satellite campus)
30. Baytown – Lee College

These towns host small colleges, serving local students with associate degree programs and vocational training.

so NO .. it does not seem that another Sixman town aside from Ranger has a Junior College

Chat GPT answer …

Here is a list of 30 small Texas towns that have a junior college or community college:

1. Ranger – Ranger College
2. Clarendon – Clarendon College
3. Big Spring – Howard College
4. Brenham – Blinn College
5. Athens – Trinity Valley Community College
6. Levelland – South Plains College
7. Hillsboro – Hill College
8. Borger – Frank Phillips College
9. Snyder – Western Texas College
10. Corsicana – Navarro College
11. Gainesville – North Central Texas College
12. Kilgore – Kilgore College
13. Paris – Paris Junior College
14. Alvin – Alvin Community College
15. Jacksonville – Jacksonville College
16. Vernon – Vernon College
17. Beeville – Coastal Bend College
18. McKinney – Collin College
19. Wharton – Wharton County Junior College
20. Palestine – Trinity Valley Community College
21. Texarkana – Texarkana College
22. Sweetwater – Texas State Technical College
23. Lufkin – Angelina College
24. Uvalde – Southwest Texas Junior College
25. El Campo – Wharton County Junior College (satellite campus)
26. Snyder – Western Texas College
27. Mount Pleasant – Northeast Texas Community College
28. Port Arthur – Lamar State College Port Arthur
29. Brownwood – Ranger College (satellite campus)
30. Baytown – Lee College

These towns host small colleges, serving local students with associate degree programs and vocational training.

Cisco-Cisco Junior College

so NO .. it does not seem that another Sixman town aside from Ranger has a Junior College

So I spent a bit of time at “what was called then” ,. Ranger Junior College .. which became Ranger College .. a part of the Tarleton system.

I am just curious how many other 6man towns currently have college universities ?

I know this happens when towns tend to shrink because of jobs and such available ,, but the college still supports the area.
Tarleton is a part of the Texas A&M system, but Ranger College is not a part of that system.

That is true .. but they have a reciprocal system of transfer of hours which benefits kids in the area … and now a Ranger College location in Stephenville as well at the old bowling alley that allows for a Junior College induction into Tarleton

With that many students why are they playing independent 6-man?
I believe it is because that allows them to have Fridays off (it's a Seventh Day Adventist town) and 11 man is almost exclusively on Fridays. Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be much interest (for a town that size), at all, in football there, with mostly empty stands and maybe 15 or so players.

I was thinking it was because they have only had football for about 4 years now. Not sure about numbers this season but they have a JV team. I understand that they are playing 6 man to drum up interest in a sport they have never had. I would assume they would make the jump to 11 man soon, but just an assumption on my part. They seem to be getting better every year. I'm sure they will make the switch about the time they have 6 man all figured out.

Back