Six-Man only Stadium

The Priddy field is nice and I like the area. When they get stands, pressbox, restroom etc..., it will be a great place to have games. Here is a pic of Leakey vs Perrin game played there this year.

IMG_0016.jpg

Safety of the players? We've had more injuries on natural grass than turf....and we play on turf much more.
Do you have an actual study with statistical evidence, because I do.

A detailed study from Harvard University states, "Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass."

That's wild, because we've had more knee and ankle injuries on grass than turf during my 7 years here. I could look up the actual percentages, but I don't want to.

I bet a lot of it is familiarity. I only played on turf a hand full of times and didn't like it.

I bet a lot of it is familiarity. I only played on turf a hand full of times and didn't like it.
There is a reason why it is called "artificial" because that is exactly what it is. With that said, there will be injuries, regardless of what kind of turf, however the above study proves for a fact the artificial turf has a higher expectancy of an injury. It is pretty much common sense. On a grass field, you have Earth underneath you that can be manipulated and moved depending on force. On an artificial turf field, you have a slab of concrete, followed by a thin pad, followed by artificial grass with rubber pellet's that can only be manipulated only so far by force.

The number one reason given for installing a turf field is convenience and cost, not safety. Don't get me wrong, they look pretty and you save time/money on not having to paint them every week, but...what should be the priority🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Well, that study was fact for the sample they studied. If they would have come to this school, it would have been much different. There is no concrete under our turf.....none. It has been proven safer here, so I'm glad we have it.

Well, that study was fact for the sample they studied. If they would have come to this school, it would have been much different. There is no concrete under our turf.....none. It has been proven safer here, so I'm glad we have it.
Just add water and you'd have concrete with that sand and 6 inches of rock under it ;)

Seriously, maybe those east coast Ivy League folk are just big softies. I'm glad you are experiencing better, less common results.

I will agree that there are more non-contact, lower extremity injuries now-a-days....but I think it's more from kids spending the majority of the summer with their knees bent over a sofa playing video games than the type of surface they play on. Kids around here (and most small schools) are more active in the summer for the most part. Heck, we grew up swimming and riding bikes, and what's some of the first things people do to rehab injuries? Swim and Ride Bikes.

There is a reason why it is called "artificial" because that is exactly what it is. With that said, there will be injuries, regardless of what kind of turf, however the above study proves for a fact the artificial turf has a higher expectancy of an injury. It is pretty much common sense. On a grass field, you have Earth underneath you that can be manipulated and moved depending on force. On an artificial turf field, you have a slab of concrete, followed by a thin pad, followed by artificial grass with rubber pellet's that can only be manipulated only so far by force.

The number one reason given for installing a turf field is convenience and cost, not safety. Don't get me wrong, they look pretty and you save time/money on not having to paint them every week, but...what should be the priority🤷‍♂️
Good job repeating yourself!

Would you like to hear it again, or do you just want to read it slower? Like the Dude, I'll abide.
Go ahead and repeat it however you want, but it doesn't make it anymore or less true. Pretty sure the NFL, NCAA, big high schools, and heck even Garden City would go back to grass if they thought it prevented injury.

Personally, to show off my repeating skills, I think you are more likely to get hurt on the surface you do not practice on.

Go ahead and repeat it however you want, but it doesn't make it anymore or less true. Pretty sure the NFL, NCAA, big high schools, and heck even Garden City would go back to grass if they thought it prevented injury.

Personally, to show off my repeating skills, I think you are more likely to get hurt on the surface you do not practice on.
Of course, because the NFL, NCAA, and yes, even the "Big" high school's number one priority isn't money, but the players well-being. :ROFLMAO:

As the great George Strait sings, "I've got some ocean front property in Arizona...."

I can promise you that our #1 priority is our students' well-being.
There is no doubt, and I believe you. In all seriousness, 98% of what I post is in jest, where you are located, turf would actually be safer.

However, I don't believe the NFL, NCAA, and some "big" high school's #1 priority are the players well being. That's what is great about this nation, we get to have our own opinions, however against the grain or not it is.

Back