Shale playground in W. Texas (may dwarf S Tex Eagle Ford)

freeagent

Six-man pro
Six-man football and West Texas are nearly synomous... so I thought this would be of interest ...

Shale playground in W. Texas
By Jennifer Hiller
San Antonio Express News
Updated 11:50 am, Thursday, January 10, 2013

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/ar ... z2HcF4jefK

The Eagle Ford Shale play is still in its early stages, with landmen continuing to hunt for mineral rights across South Texas and no one really knowing how much oil is out there.

But if the Eagle Ford seems big, get ready for what's happening in West Texas, where oil and gas production is ramping up in shale layers such as the Wolfcamp in and around Midland.

“They're getting thousands and thousands of feet of pay zone,” said Ken Morgan, director of the Texas Christian University Energy Institute, who spoke Wednesday at Palo Alto College. “It's like the Eagle Ford on steroids. They haven't even begun. We're just in the toe of this thing.”

Morgan, who spoke as part of an Eagle Ford Consortium and Alamo Colleges event, said it's going to take “decades and decades” for companies to work through the shale reserves in West Texas.

And how long will it take for the Eagle Ford to play out? And how much oil is there?

“We're so early in this,” said John Breyer, a geologist and senior technical consultant at Marathon Oil Corp. “I don't think anybody really knows.”

But Breyer said that wells in the Eagle Ford are producing more oil using horizontal wells that are half the length of those in North Dakota's Bakken Shale.

“This is going to dwarf North Dakota,” Breyer said.

He said companies would invest $25 billion in the Eagle Ford this year.

That's in line with a report last month from Wood Mackenzie, a global energy research firm, which estimated that the industry would sink $28 billion into the Eagle Ford this year — about 27 percent of all oil and gas investment in the lower 48 states. Between 2012 and 2015, Wood Mackenzie expects capital spending of about $116 billion in the region.

Leodoro Martinez, chairman of the Eagle Ford Consortium and executive director of the Middle Rio Grande Development Council in Carrizo Springs, said that even a few years into the play, which kicked off in 2008, there are still concerns about everything from housing to setting up adequate worker training programs.

“As far as we're concerned, we're just kicking off. We're just starting,” Martinez said. “Our courthouses are still packed with landmen looking for additional resources.”

Morgan said the Eagle Ford is part of a larger global energy picture, with U.S. shale plays upending the energy market. The United States imports $1 billion in oil per day, but Morgan said it has a chance to become more economically independent with hydraulic fracturing, which is the process of pumping sand, water and chemicals at high pressure to fracture dense rock formations to release oil and natural gas.

“We are covered in shale plays, and what we know about shale is the tip of the iceberg,” Morgan said.

While companies have been drilling in the crude oil windows of shale plays, one thing limiting drilling of natural gas reserves across the country has been low natural gas prices, which fell, ironically, because of the abundant shale discoveries.

Prices are below $4 per million British thermal units, down from $12 in 2008. And dry gas sits at greater depths, making those wells more expensive to drill than oil wells.

If liquefaction plants are built, the U.S. can export natural gas to Europe and Japan, where prices for natural gas are much higher. Morgan also said large companies are looking at converting fleets to run on natural gas instead of diesel. “You've got cheap fuel, so cheap it's ridiculous,” he said.

But Morgan also said OPEC is “jittery” about U.S. shale plays, and thinks that at some point it will drop the price of oil on the world market to try to force natural gas out of the market in favor of cheaper imported oil.

[email protected]
Twitter: @Jennifer_Hiller

This story as originally published contained an error. A report from Wood Mackenzie, a global energy research firm, estimated that the industry would sink $28 billion into the Eagle Ford this year.

oldfat&bald":si8nvlnn said:
Dogface":si8nvlnn said:
Where would a guy go to apply?

If you got a CDL with a Hazmat endorsement, just tell everyone in the coffee shop in west Texas. You'll have four job offers before you leave.

Ditto in the Eagle Ford play. Heck, everyday our local Seguin paper has about three display classified ads for truck drivers.

Heard an interesting stat the other day about the top 10 hotels by daily rates or average revenue per room or something like that. #1 and #2 were old line hotels in Austin (The Driskill, not a bad joint by the way) and Dallas. I think #3 or #4 was some Holiday Inn Express in Cuero and also in the top 10 was a joint in Cotulla or Pearsall. Now I've been in Cuero, not a bad town ... and I've been in Pearsall and Cotulla and really wouldn't want to schedule a return trip. But the Eagle Ford money is building hotels, oilfield housing, and all sorts of places in towns where there's no other reason than Eagle Ford shale to spend any more in that town than perhaps lunch or a tank of gas at the Quickee Stoppee. Even here, in Seguin, about 50 miles from the Eagle Ford area, hotels are running 80-90% of capacity and many of those rooms are Eagle Ford related. Talked to a chain hotel GM a few months ago and her corporate office was asking if they should build another hotel here (they are landlocked at their present site) and she said she wouldn't, thinking all those hotels under construction closer to the action may come on board before they could build and recoup their investment.

I was shocked when my brother told me that if you could find a room in Midland or Odessa it would cost you $400 a night. Insane. and the oilfield truck traffic on 158 and 33 in Glasscock county is even more insane.

Cripes ... was just trying to line up hotel rates for our clinic in Seguin for June. Two years ago, the LaQuinta was $70 a night. Last year, it jumped up to $85. This year, it's $123.25. And there aren't much other options ... primarily because of industrial and Eagle Ford business.

Sounds like for some maybe happy days are here again. This has to mean more tax income for some districts. What 6-man schools are in the area?

lifegatesports":3rl6hksr said:
Cripes ... was just trying to line up hotel rates for our clinic in Seguin for June. Two years ago, the LaQuinta was $70 a night. Last year, it jumped up to $85. This year, it's $123.25. And there aren't much other options ... primarily because of industrial and Eagle Ford business.

Class is out then. Could you set up some cot's in the gym?

51eleven":qz4oonf9 said:
lifegatesports":qz4oonf9 said:

Class is out then. Could you set up some cot's in the gym?

Wouldn't be the first time somebody spent the night in the gym ...

oldfat&bald":2v7pb8s9 said:
Dogface":2v7pb8s9 said:

If you got a CDL with a Hazmat endorsement, just tell everyone in the coffee shop in west Texas. You'll have four job offers before you leave.
What's it take to get a hazmat endorse.?
Been callin DPS since yestidy.

Maybe I should open a second HHR&WPC&SWW......Or a third.............. or a fourth................. I could be known as
"Conrad Smokey"...... At present we only accept cash.............in unmarked bills or negotiable bearer bonds. Gold,Silver & Platinum also accepted................................

Dogface":2qf3tgoz said:
oldfat&bald":2qf3tgoz said:
Dogface":2qf3tgoz said:

Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME) for Commercial Driver License (CDL)

In accordance with the USA Patriot Act, the federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) have adopted rules to secure the transport of hazardous materials. These rules require TSA to perform a security threat assessment on all commercial drivers who transport hazardous materials. The security threat assessment process includes collecting an individual's fingerprints and verifying citizenship, immigration eligibility or permanent legal presence in the United States.

An individual cannot be issued a Texas commercial driver license (CDL) with a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) until the individual completes the security threat assessment and obtains clearance from TSA. The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) does not receive detailed information on an individual’s security threat assessment. DPS is only notified if an individual’s assessment is approved or denied.

Individuals are not allowed to transfer the remaining validity period of an HME issued by another state. Since a new security threat assessment is required with a Texas CDL application, existing HME holders will be granted a 90-day temporary endorsement at the time of issuance if all other HME requirements are met.

HME Eligibility

The following individuals are not eligible to apply for an HME:

Nonresident or nondomicle, or
Commercial driver with lawful status as a refugee or asylee.
DPS HME Application Process

DPS will issue a CDL without the HME or with a 90-day temporary endorsement until TSA completes the threat assessment if the individual:

Meets the federal regulations for the class of driver license sought,
Completes the required forms, and
Pays the required fees.
At the time of issuance or renewal, the individual will be provided the contact information for a fingerprinting location to begin the security threat assessment. Individuals may not initiate the fingerprinting process prior to receiving their Texas CDL. Failure to wait for the Texas CDL may cause significant delay in processing the security threat assessment.

NOTE: Incomplete applications, forms and fingerprints will be purged within six months from the date of application, and TSA will close the file.

Schedule Appointment for Fingerprinting

DPS contracts with a vendor to capture fingerprints. To schedule an appointment with the vendor, please visit MorphoTrust USA. Click on the "Texas" link then the "schedule a fingerprinting appointment online" tab. Individuals may also call 888-467-2080 to schedule an appointment and pay the nonrefundable $78.20 fee. (The cost of the fee is subject to change. Individuals should confirm this cost when they schedule their appointment.)

During the appointment, individuals:

Must present their Texas CDL,
Take a digital photograph,
Allow to be digitally fingerprinted, and
Will be provided with a tracking number for confirmation.
If an individual has not received any correspondence from DPS after 30 days from the date of fingerprinting then the individual should email DPS and ask about the status of their application.

Fingerprints Forwarded to Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI)

Fingerprints are forwarded to the FBI, which will provide TSA with any criminal history data about the individual. This information will be used to help TSA make the final decision regarding HME eligibility.

If an individual is approved for HME, DPS will mail a new CDL to the individual to the address on record. The HME will expire on the expiration date of the CDL or five years from the TSA approval date, whichever is first.
If the individual is denied an HME, DPS will notify the individual through the mail and provide the individual with information on how to appeal the decision through TSA.
TSA

Detailed information regarding the USA Patriot Act, including the waiver and appeal process, is available on the TSA website. For additional questions, please contact your local driver license office or call 512-424-2010

Doggy, Just pray they never check this site............. they might not understand.......................that "Asylee" thing might hold things up a bit.....................

Dogface":2dmhiqlh said:
oldfat&bald":2dmhiqlh said:
Dogface":2dmhiqlh said:

Judging from some of the guys I've seen driving some of these oilfield trucks lately, I think you can go to the DPS office yelling allah akbar and still get your Hazmat endorsement. Just pay the fees.

Now that's funny.

But actually,
don't all coaches drive a school bus?

Got these 2 boys elem. age
first on-last off,
good boys too;
was thinking bout givin them a ticket
for a free ice cream from the cafeteria
and callin it "The Ironbutt" award.
Thought they'd get a kick outta it.

(If you haven't tried
"assigned seats"
DUH
you ought to.
jus sayin'.)

Last week when we drove into Garden City from San Angelo for Dad's memorial service I could not believe how it looked. I thought I was coming into Forsan. There were pumpjacks and rigs everywhere. I cannot imagine what it will be like when they start the shale drilling there. The traffic between there and Sterling City was not too bad that day though my brother told me that was unusual.

Back