Seguin Lifegate VB player gets D1 scholarship

freeagent

Six-man pro
Happened at a sixman school, so it counts (plus, she was Homecoming Queen at the football game this year ...)

http://seguingazette.com/sports/article_b73ad100-93bc-11e0-abb1-001cc4c03286.html

HISTORY: Flowers becomes the first Lifegate athlete to go Division I

By Tucker Stephenson | Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 12:00 am
Seguin Gazette

SEGUIN — From the very start of her volleyball career at Lifegate Christian School, it was clear that Jasmin Flowers was head and shoulders above her competition — both literally and figuratively.

One story that indicates just how rare of a talent Flowers was at the TAPPS Class 1A level occurred during her junior year prior to a district match at home.

After watching the Lady Falcons' 6-2 middle blocker warm up for a few minutes, one of the members of the opposing squad turned to a teammate and quickly summed up her thoughts about the upcoming match.

"Are you kidding me?" she said.

That type of reaction was displayed too many times to count during Flowers' four years as a Lady Falcon, with the recent graduate racking up tons of accolades along the way.

But the biggest honor she received came a week ago in the form of a single slip of paper — a scholarship offer to play volleyball for Division I Norfolk State University in Virginia.

After signing it during a small ceremony that featured former coaches and family members, Flowers became the first Lifegate student-athlete to ever move on to compete at the NCAA's highest level.

"Pretty awesome," Flowers said when asked how the achievement made her feel. "I feel pretty accomplished. It's really cool that it happened to me because I never thought it would. And then things just started happening."

Flowers said that her journey began by playing for head coach Jennifer Hines at Lifegate but took its biggest turn when she teamed up with coach Sanada Molina of the San Antonio Hornets club team.

"I started of course playing for Mrs. Hines here at Lifegate and then I started getting involved in club volleyball and it started first with the Sullivans - Frank and Kelle Sullivan," Flowers said. "Then I started hopping basically from club to club until I found the right one, and with God's blessings I actually did find the right one — Hornets Volleyball — and Coach Molina has been the best coach I've ever had.

"He really just enabled me to be able to realize that I can be as good as I want to be."

While at a club tournament, Flowers was spotted by a scout from Norfolk State, who no doubt took note of her impressive height and athleticism.

Once Flowers was able to visit the school's campus, she said she was sold immediately — especially given the landscape's resemblance to a popular coastal destination.

"My first impression was I thought it was California," Flowers said. "I've seen California in movies and with all the trees and the way it was set up, it was so beautiful. Some of the people were super nice, especially on the campus and I just had a good vibe about the whole place."

Not long after that, Flowers made the decision to become a part of the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference's Spartans.

When Hines learned of the news, she said that it couldn't have happened to a more dedicated and hard-working individual.

"I've known Jasmin since she was in second grade when she first came here and she's just a very honest person and you know where she's coming from at all times," said Hines, who also teaches third grade at Lifegate. "She was an awesome leader for the team for four years and encouraging the girls even when we were down. She's wanted this for a long time and I'm just so proud that it's happening for her."

Flowers says that her time at Lifegate has helped prepare her for the future and also given her bits of wisdom that will last a lifetime.

"Playing here, learning just life lessons from not only my teachers but Coach Hines as well," Flowers said of what she'll take with her. "Just being able to learn everything educational-wise but also with a Christian background in it. I'm going to carry that with me for the rest of my life for sure."

While at Norfolk State, Flowers says she plans to major in chemistry before continuing her academic career beyond a four-year degree.

"I want to be a chemistry major and then hopefully go on and get my MD and then my PhD," she said. "I want to be an immunologist and then eventually a missionary and use all of my medicinal background to help people overseas."

Flowers, who was Lifegate's salutatorian, is a three-time all-state selections and four time all-district choice. She was also named the Gazette's 2008 All-Area Player of the Year.

Can I just say WOW!!!!

Jasmin Flowers, you have indeed set the bar high for those that will follow.

Congratulations! Wonderful job and great grades too!!!!!!!!

Very impressive.

Don Hardin
Abilene

Back